The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dear Points of View

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Jason/Sirs,

I must respectfully disagree with this last statement.

AT LEAST, if half the zombies walking around the grocery stores are anywhere near as unengaged as they are here (mid-west US), they barely look up from their phones to check they're in the right STORE, let alone managing to spot some discrepancy between what they were selecting (5 oz pack crisps) and what they put in the cart (25lb bag of cat litter). Spotting a spud in the crisp bag is WAY above their pay grade and intellect level for sure :jester:

Yours,

No longer Astonished in Minnesota...

You might like the short sketch on this at 17:14 to 18:04 - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8NfQqj7VAQ

I remember it because our kids (and I) found it very funny at the time.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Then he'd be named something like P-Nut ButtR.

There was a chap at the GEC Coventry Telephone works called Peter Nutt.

Guess what was called over the tannoy?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, colin penfold said:

It's worse than you think mate. The crust thing made the national breakfast news and spawned a long conversation between the wally and the bimbo as to their respective views on crusts.... They even dragged the sports bimbo into the debate.

Even Bimbo has crusts....

https://www.google.com/search?q=bimbo+bread&oq=bimbo+bread&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.5751j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

There was a chap at the GEC Coventry Telephone works called Peter Nutt.

Guess what was called over the tannoy?

Waits for the "Hunt - first name Mike" story...................................

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

So called journalists and social media "influencers" have replaced telephone sanitizers and management consultants as passengers on the Golgafrincham B ark. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, DLT said:

There must come a time when Brexit & Trump aren't funny anymore.

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

I thought that time had already come - and long since gone, too?? :scratchhead:

Can a disaster like Trump ever be funny?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, AY Mod said:

My wife may sympathise, I'll happily sit on Shipfinder telling her where every boat is going when we're at the coast. I must go and feed the pigeons in the park now.

You are evil, I need that for when next on holiday!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

BBC isn't it? Seems they need to justify having too many news outlets and far too many staff by having loads of no news stories. The website has gone terrible recently. 

Other news outlets are just as bad.  Local newspapers are worse. I'm wondering if it's because of all the students doing Media Studies rather than the journalists learning the trade like they used to do. Rather than looking for proper stories they are scouring the internet for rubbish.

That bread story was totally fake. There was one a while ago about someone getting a potato in a bag of crisps. I know that potatoes like that don't go anywhere near crisps as they are processed before cooking. Besides you would notice it before buying if your bag of Walkers had a whole uncooked potato in it.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

One of the regulars in our local paper is the idiot who enters the wrong reg no in a car park ticket machine, then complains because they get fined because the details on the ticket dont match the car r number plate.

• Funny 3

20 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

In what universe (apparently ours!!) can you not make a sandwich with two crusts.

<Engage Grumpy old man mode>

When I was a kid, if I said I wasn't going to eat what was provided for me I'd get a swift clip round the ears, PLUS, an explanation of starving kids in <insert third world nation here>

Take their bloody mobiles away from them and tell them they should be grateful they're not cleaning chimneys! :D

<GOM mode off>

Additionally, neither constitutes "news", then again, seems everywhere it's news is someone just farts, so long as someone else records it and sends it in! Good Grief :jester::O:scared::P

You'd like this thread on another forum!

20 hours ago, big jim said:

I’d be so chuffed if I opened up a loaf and it was all crusts, thats the best part! 

My all time favourite snack when growing up was a lightly toasted bread crust spread with the tasty, dark and meaty juices from the bottom of the dripping bowl. Now they tell you that it is bad for you and you should use healthier types of oil for cooking.  To buy lard or beef dripping these days I need to order it from my butcher about a week before I need to use it.

The BBC are quite welcome to quote me regarding this!

Dave R.  

13 minutes ago, Devo63 said:

My all time favourite snack when growing up was a lightly toasted bread crust spread with the tasty, dark and meaty juices from the bottom of the dripping bowl. Now they tell you that it is bad for you and you should use healthier types of oil for cooking.  To buy lard or beef dripping these days I need to order it from my butcher about a week before I need to use it.

The BBC are quite welcome to quote me regarding this!

Dave R.  

Lard and dripping are freely available in civilised countries. ;)

Even Waitrose sells it!

https://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/food_glossary/lard.html

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I'm. Not sure any of the above shops are available  in Oz.

Maybe he could order online for home delivery? He'd need to give the driver a hefty tip though.

• Funny 1

Thanks to the internet, you can now, quite easily, read on line 100+ year old newspapers.

They are full of wind-bag journalism, celebrity stories, endlessly syndicated irrelevant stuff, money-worshipping, mind-numbing trivia, lurid (inaccurate) details of crimes, and letters from grumpy old blokes complaining about it all and looking back to the days when newspapers were actually worth reading.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

47 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

100+ year old newspapers

What is the turn of the 20th century analogue to stories about social media "influencers"? I dare say there was something.

Certainly newspapers then were full of sales pitches for dubious products from drug-infused potions, and 'snake oil' to mechanical contraptions for labour saving and medicinal 'benefits'. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Thanks to the internet, you can now, quite easily, read on line 100+ year old newspapers.

They are full of wind-bag journalism, celebrity stories, endlessly syndicated irrelevant stuff, money-worshipping, mind-numbing trivia, lurid (inaccurate) details of crimes, and letters from grumpy old blokes complaining about it all and looking back to the days when newspapers were actually worth reading.

No change there then................

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

I'm sorry, but that's not proper dripping, that's sanitised grease made in a factory and put in a plastic pot.

Proper dripping is scraped out of the bottom of the pan before your very eyes in the local butchers whilst still warm, wrapped in newspaper, or plain paper if it was a posh butchers, transported home and immediately spread on fresh white bread from the local bakers.

You young un's don't know what you're missing!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Here’s another not-very-newsworthy (though it is of an important ongoing issue) news item. This is also from Nottinghamshire so you could be right Andy Y - it may well be work experience week there! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-48213813

"I haven't cancelled my repeat prescription yet as I want to see if it's plastic again"

A good idea IMHO if she wants to stay alive, what a choice, plastic bag or death, hmmmmm.

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'm sorry, but that's not proper dripping, that's sanitised grease made in a factory and put in a plastic pot.

Proper dripping is scraped out of the bottom of the pan before your very eyes in the local butchers whilst still warm, wrapped in newspaper, or plain paper if it was a posh butchers, transported home and immediately spread on fresh white bread from the local bakers.

You young un's don't know what you're missing!

Mike.

Still available in two shops within five minutes walk of my house.

Either the Butcher ( he sells the stuff from Wateralls) or the Sandwich Shop - where it really is poured out from the cooked pork for the pork sandwiches (which strangely, is bout from the aforementioned Butcher!)

• Like 2