The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chriswright03 said:

Like has been said above many plates are cloned by looking at Auto Trader and the like.  I doubt very much that anyone is trawling through a Model Railway forum to look for a plate to clone.  Paranoid?  Who said I was paranoid?:mocking_mini:

Better to be safe than sorry!

parked the lowered mini up next to a standard one at the station yesterday, surprising how much different it looks, new tyres on the bigger rims Tuesday and refit them

A5642ACE-C732-4456-BB12-6BE3DA5FBE6A.jpg

• Like 4

I wonder how many of the so-called 'iconic' cars[classic] would be so, in the eyes of the general public, if it wasn't for the popular, light-weight, press? 

Certainly, 'back-in-the-day'...I wouldn't have bothered looking for an E-type Jag! Nor would I have thanked anyone for giving me one.    Pretty, they certainly were...I wouldn't argue with Enzo on that one...but otherwise???

The MGB , I viewed, in a similar vein. The Spridget certainly was a 'better' driver's car, [again, my view, maybe not shared with the wider driving public?]...so much so that when I had the opportunity to purchase, of the choice I had, the Sprite came out on top.

My first two cars were Morris Minors [of the 948cc variety]...cheap to buy [20 quid tops]...cheap enough to run, useful transport, did nothing for one's ego, but made one popular with mates, as they provided excellent transport for half a dozen or so bodies. But...I wouldn't deliberately seek one out today to buy.....

But every time today's more lightweight, generalised media mention 'classic cars'...the default selection is more often than not, the Minor or the E-type....[which suggests to me the press has about as much knowledge of older motors as I do about mobile phone usage?]

Trouble is, I cannot seem to get away from this attitude....

Mind, there are not many hobbies one can indulge in, where one can, literally & legitimately, spend half one's time laid down on the floor?   I wish I had bought myself one of those natty hydraulic car lifts years ago....[the ones that can be wheeled out into the driveway]

The Australian auto industry always kept us supplied with a good choice of  muscle-y V8 stuff from the mid-60's through to when they packed up local production over the last couple of years and just stuck Holden and Ford badges on Korean and Euro turbo-diesels and 4 cylinder stuff.

Any of the '60's and '70's desirable cars - the Torana A9X,  Ford HO phase 3, Valiant Charger etc change hands for 6 figure amounts, not sure how the later stuff will go but the fact that you can't get a local V8 any more has to make them a future prospect in the collectable stakes.   Accordingly here is mine, a 2010 model - 6 litres and 6 speed manual. And its a ute so I can take stuff to the tip pretty fast..

IMAG0670.jpg.e7c42a6bf734ac8925fce2cf4444d945.jpg

IMAG0671.jpg.6203e5733848c1298b921356b70c28d1.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The last version was sold in limited numbers here as the Vauxhall Maloo.

What an unfortunate name. I could fancy having one of those but might have to remove the name badge.

Previous Holdens sold in the UK have depreciated rapidly and offer real bargain price for that sort of performance. I imagine it could be an interesting vehicle to take to a track day.

• RMweb Gold

The mini is back on it’s bigger white alloys with 4 new tyres, looking nice combined with the lowering springs

B7E77367-363D-481E-9D75-BDD286F075ED.jpg

Also swapped the blain black 1/2 leather interior for a red/black set, just needs a damn good valet!

2BD59BCF-B94E-4EC2-A7CA-7F7C04ED03C5.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The cooper S is now sat on black alloys, also changed the scuttle vents on the wings from chrome to black 

D511BF42-593E-4D22-BE38-93B4A91FFB46.jpg

cant decide on black headlight surrounds yet though?

recreated the Italian job in the BMW garage by hiding in amongst the showroom cars 

0F9E12AA-67F8-49A9-88A8-E7453A613F08.jpg

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

DSXT4145.jpg.aa2322e6fb9253657238fed5e39a9238.jpg

This definitely fits the bill.... My much lamented Mitsubishi FTO Version R Aero Series in Red with Manual box, a combination which was only out shopped from the factory 45 times, Only 370 of the cars being made in total! This was my pride and joy until a bump nearly 2 years ago put it beyond my repair budget and I was forced to sell. :( 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

1 hour ago, Quarryscapes said:

DSXT4145.jpg.aa2322e6fb9253657238fed5e39a9238.jpg

This definitely fits the bill.... My much lamented Mitsubishi FTO Version R Aero Series in Red with Manual box, a combination which was only out shopped from the factory 45 times, Only 370 of the cars being made in total! This was my pride and joy until a bump nearly 2 years ago put it beyond my repair budget and I was forced to sell. :( 

Nice, and my condolences. If I were in the market for modern Nippon classics though it'd be a Honda S2000 and R33 & R34 Nissan Skylines.

C6T. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Classsix T said:

If I were in the market for modern Nippon classics though it'd be a Honda S2000 and R33 & R34 Nissan Skylines.

C6T. 

I agree about the S2000. I would love one but don't have £10k floating around to invest in a frivolous way.

One fairly affordable, but I think maybe starting to go up in price potential classic is the MG  ZS180. I had a couple when they were new and they were great fun while still being a practical family car. They were especially good fun on the mountain roads in Switzerland because they handled so well. Its surprising that what was a reasonably sporty car in its day (16 years ago) with a 2.6 litre V6 would now only count as a warm hatch  and most modern 1.5 engines are more powerful thanks to the big turbos they fit. 

car17.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I had an 02 ZS too, identical to yours, (an unusual spoiler to have fitted to a standard ZS iirc) running on lpg, good little motor to get be back and too between Aylesbury and crewe when I worked for chiltern, the only downside was the lpg tank could hold 150 mile of fuel and it was a 158 mile journey so it would always run out of fuel at pretty much the same spot every time (waddeston heading to Aylesbury, M6 j15 coming home!

• RMweb Gold

I looked all over for a decent ZS diesel last year but couldn't find one so ended up with a ZT CDTi 135 I also have a ZR diesel which is in superb condition with all extras except traffic master and passenger airbag 

20170423_161813.jpg

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Chris M said:

I agree about the S2000. I would love one but don't have £10k floating around to invest in a frivolous way.

One fairly affordable, but I think maybe starting to go up in price potential classic is the MG  ZS180. I had a couple when they were new and they were great fun while still being a practical family car. They were especially good fun on the mountain roads in Switzerland because they handled so well. Its surprising that what was a reasonably sporty car in its day (16 years ago) with a 2.6 litre V6 would now only count as a warm hatch  and most modern 1.5 engines are more powerful thanks to the big turbos they fit. 

car17.jpg

6 hours ago, Chris M said:

That spoiler was standard on the 180

Years ago I had the 1.6 Civic MB4, and stuck the ZS180 spoiler on it, as well as the gunmetal interior trims to replace the walnut effect ones in the Civic and the Rover variants. What I really wanted as a VTi-S, which already outclassed MG's paltry efforts with 180bhp from a much lighter high revving 1.8 instead! 

Double wishbone suspension made for excellent handling....a shame Honda plumped for McPherson struts for Gen 7 of the civic, a true disaster. The Gen 6's were the last great ones, and that even carried over into the Rover clones. 

23 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Nice, and my condolences. If I were in the market for modern Nippon classics though it'd be a Honda S2000 and R33 & R34 Nissan Skylines.

C6T. 

I would dearly love an R33, and naturally 2 days after picking up an FN2 type R Civic one came up for the same money....should have bought it, the Honda was a right lemon, a fine example of British Engineering...

15 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

Double wishbone suspension made for excellent handling....a shame Honda plumped for McPherson struts for Gen 7 of the civic, a true disaster. The Gen 6's were the last great ones, and that even carried over into the Rover clones. 

I’ve now got a gen10 civic because I like the styling. This has proper rear suspension and with the 1.5 petrol engine is very nice to drive. It is more Accord size than traditional Civic size though and so maybe not so “chuckable”. Nevertheless it could be a classic in 20 years time when we are all driving around in EVs.

On 06/06/2019 at 00:07, eastwestdivide said:

On the subject of Minis, how much static grass (and what sort of voltage) would you need to do this?

And how many mpg would you lose to drag?

1727363374_Staticgrass.jpg.cba165379893dfb08bcd8edc0c1a3ced.jpg

That reminds me of a Toyota Camry I saw outside the Queen Victoria Markets the last time I was in Melbourne:

Toyota_Camry_at_the_Queen_Victoria_Markets_Melbourne.jpg.b8c6f125df4c286520f9be36e54d8f62.jpg

• Like 3