Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

I have got the cab rear bulkheads painted now so I can now get the body togethersmile.gif I also added a couple of strips of brass to the boiler outlet on the roof as the 27's had a sliding cover over this hole as built and it seems quite a few had the runners in place for a lot of their life. I have had a hard job trying to find a good picture of these runnersangry.gif but I think I go it right from a couple of my own pictures in the end.

post-6766-127367491209_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127367491466_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how well you're advanced on the painting front Brian, but here's a nice rather rare clear overhead shot of a 27 taken from the Cunningham Street Bridge over Parliamentary Road above the Tunnel Mouth at Queen Street showing 27109 in it's best weathered style.....

http://johnlawonther.../p63317878.html

[Edited once I realised the 27 was nearer to the tunnel than I first thought) rolleyesclear.gif

I am still doing some work on the 27 Bob, not painting yet though. Thanks for the link to the roof pic. I would have thought there would have been a few more shots looking down from that bridge. I would like to see the arrangement on the boiler roof on a 27/2 if anyone knows of one? I think a 27/2 just had the 2 holes blanked off but would like to make sure for when I do a JLTRT 27/2 to go with this 27.

I have attached a blown up pic just about showing the cover and runners and an opperating arm on 27029.

I see Bob that JLTRT are doing a MkII b. Do you think I could get away with a push pull rake with these? I know the doors would be wrong but who does a MkII z?

How did your DBSO come on Bob?

post-6766-127446197991_thumb.jpg

There doesn't appear to have been that many shots taken from that bridge Brian (wasn't it fenced up at either end in the late 70s, to prevent any "yoofs" getting access to bomb the loco's)? and these days it's another huge shopping complex......

Clear overhead shots of a 27/2 roof at the boiler end seem even rarer - though there are the odd ones - like this http://johnlawontherails.fotopic.net/p35216455.html showing what appears to be the sealed up ports, the remains of the cover "slides" and the centre of the three boiler air vents on one side, then in use as the exhaust port for the Deutz ETH Generator.

Unfortunately the 2b's with the wrapround end doors and (particularly) the lack of centre doors in the TSOs and FK make them a little too wide of the mark (no pun intended) for the E&G Mk II(z) or IIa stock. I guess the choice then would be the PRMRP MkIIa's or work on Pete to produce them!

The DBSO ground to a halt round about the time our house got partly flooded which kind of got in the way, and I've yet to re-start it - though I am down to the stage of creating the cab and end details otherwise it'll be finished all bar the painting!

Thank's for the link to the 27/2 roof pic Bob as that's the only pic I have seen that shows the Deutz exhaustsmile.gif

I think I will have to grovel to Laurie in Irvine to do a push pull MkII I think, as you say I think it would be pushing it to run it with MkII B's. Just had a thought, what were the MkII's Westdale did a year ago?

Glad to hear we might see some progress on the DBSO sometime.

Westdale Mark's are 2As ([T?]SO and BSO) - so pretty close to the 2z's. I think they still do them, as I saw some on their stand at Kettering. 

I remember an advert in the Guild mag where they've canceled some variants due to the others not selling.

The JLTRT Mark 2c's will be for those without the vent on the toilet window.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a few things on the go at the moment. The 27 is in the paint shops going blue.

I have just put a Shawplan etched rad grill on my Heljan 37 which improves it no end (pics attached). Brian said he should be doing more rad etches for the Heljan O Gauge rangegood_mini.gif .

I am having a go at detailing my Heljan Hymek. So far I have put Shawplan etched numbers on it, having to double them up as they are a bit thin. Again Brian at Shawplan knows this and said he will be redoing them thicker, together with thicker nameplates for the 7mm range. I have fitted it with a set of JLTRT snow ploughs that I fitted to the cast chassis with 10ba bolts. The only blue Hymek with ploughs that I know of was 7001 unfortunatly which means I will have to remove the headboard clips and that will probably mean I will have to repaint the yellow endssad.gif

Also bought a Judith Edge 06 kit at Railex last weekend. It is nearly built but am still waiting for wheels from Slaters so will post a pic when it's on wheels.

Now for some good news, I have ordered some bufferbeam details from JLTRT to go on the Hymek and am informed that they will be selling bufferbeam detail packs and their buffers separate shortlydance_mini.gif . So all of you out there that want to improve your ready to run models we have the answer at last with decent lost wax air and vac pipes, nice MU jumpers and superb correct ETH recepticles.

post-6766-127558721645_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127558721905.jpg

post-6766-127558722166_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127558722459_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127558723958_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So all of you out there that want to improve your ready to run models we have the answer at last with decent lost wax air and vac pipes, nice MU jumpers and superb correct ETH recepticles.

Hooray, just what I need for my Co-Bo :)

those grills look nice Brian

Mike

Got some paint on the 27 body at last now the weather has cooled down as bit. Still need a bit of pipework on the bogies to finish.

At Railex a week ago I bought a Judith Edge 06 kit and have now finished it. A very nice kit to build made from a decent gauge brass. A couple of comments on the kit, It does not come with buffers but I had a spare set of JLTRT ovals which are not quite the right style as these are for a re-furbished 50/37. But a quick rub with a file on the rib underneath them and then solder a wire around the end and they look presentable apart from the ribs on the back of the head. The reason I stuck with these is that they are self contained to stop them rotating, you do not need a wire or anything to stop them rotating. The "lid" on the bonnet had holes for wire/bolts in the centre of it but looking at a picture of 06003 it only has the wire/bolts around the perimiter. The windsreen wipers are from JLTRT spares. It was a good job I have a few pictures of these as they came in VERY useful. I have fitted it with a Portescap motor/gearbox as I have had one knocking about for a while just waiting for something to go in. The cab roof I made a clip fit between the rainstrips so as it makes it easier to put the control desk and glazing in after it's painted. It is compensated with the rear axle resting on a piece of brass on the centre line and the rods jointed (they are supplied ridged and leaves it up to you find out how to hinge themblink.gif )

post-6766-127608956049_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127608956354_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127608956597_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127608956964_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12760895724_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127608957494_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127608957727_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The 06 was built with an Antex 25W iron Micheal with the largest bit you can get for it.

The lights on the rear will be glued on after the wasps are put on. I will paint the ends yellow then use Fox wasp strip decals. One problem though that I can see is that the wasps on these are at a steeper angle to other shunters so will have to do the stripes in 2 halfs.

By the way ther is an etched grill to go over the front of the rad when it's painted.

It's going to be 06002, probably as my colour pic of it with a top light still on it and a worksplate on the cab. I have ordered a worksplate from Diane Carney as they do one pretty close to the correct style. Unfortunatly to do a one off correct one will be a bit too expensive. I also asked Severnmill Plates and he too said it would be to much to do a special so I will have to make do with the Diane Carney one when I get it.

As to the 27 pipes Steve they come in the kit, lost wax steam/vac/MU and air pipes.

Forgot to mention the 06 comes with the 2 window rear cab if you want to do 06007-10 and these also had a rounder light fitting which are also supplied in the kit.

post-6766-127610242966_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12761024718_thumb.jpg

post-6766-1276102818_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian,

Now I know why its taking so long for you to finish the 27 you have built another loco.ohmy.gif Both looking good too, I never saw an 06 in service, they are a nice looking little loco.cool.gif Good luck with the wasp stripes, I think even in 7mm they could be a pain.

Cheers Peter.

27 chassis is now primered so while I wait for paint to dry I thought I had better get on with the next project, detailing a Heljan Hymek. I have fitted some cast MU, vac, air, steam pipes and a side step into the bufferbeam, although they are only a push fit at the mo as I will pre-paint them before glueing them in. I have also added some tubing for the exhaust's. Now onto the bogie sideframes as I have some new air cylinders to replace the half round moulded ones.

post-6766-127618140768_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127618141081_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12761814137_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Brian,

As ever, inspiring work. The class 06 looks lovely - I've a couple of 4mm ones but despite having had for considerably longer still in flat pack form :blush_mini: - I'm guessing from the build time and the end result that the 7mm was a joy to build.

Re the 27/2 - I was hoping to be able to help with the overhead shots but these are the closest I've got - 27 204 recently demobbed from the Ed-Glas PP torture it was put through.

post-3695-127620468584_thumb.jpg

post-3695-127620474091_thumb.jpg

HTH

Bruce

Thanks for the roof pic Bruce as they say "every little helps" for when I get a 27/2.

I have just re-visited your gallery and found the shot of the desk in an 06 good_mini.gif brilliant stuff, must go and redo the controls on mine as the kit had no mention of what to do hereaggressive_mini.gif and I didn't get it quite right.

Finished upgrading the bufferbeams (apart from the vac pipe that's still got wet paint on itblush.gif ) Also added the lost wax brake cylinders and sand pipes. I have asked Pete Harvey to do some etched cab steps as these on the model are a bit chunky. The only pictures I have seen of a blue Hymek with ploughs has them in a very brake dusty/weathered condition. I would think that they were originally black as per green hymeks. Shame really as you can't hardly see them at the moment until they get weathered. Still got to decide what to do about the headboard clips on the yellow front.

post-6766-127628326749_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127628326963_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127628327171_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127628327386_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Managed to work out how to fit a casting for the bogie end stretcher which has the life guards on. I made a stretcher out of plasticard that "wedges" in between the bogie sideframes and then glued the casting onto it. Hope it's strong enough or I will have to drill a couple of holes and bolt the castings on. I think that's about it for the moment until I get the bogie step etches done.

post-6766-127634411302_thumb.jpg

post-6766-127634411536_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Brian,

Just before you start on that 06 cab I've found the following shot of the interior of 06 003:

post-3695-127635518184_thumb.jpg

Small point maybe, but the desk appears to be finished in black as opposed to grey. It also seems to be slightly smaller - could be related to the construction batch?

Bruce

At Railex a week ago I bought a Judith Edge 06 kit and have now finished it.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

If I'd bought a kit, after seven days I might just've got past opening the box.... :(

I don't know whether to be amazed or depressed...... :unsure: :rolleyes: :D