Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Thanks for that Darren, will have visit to the local craft stores. The JLTRT instructions are a bit vague on a number of aspects on the build of these coaches.

My time frame for running my trains is late 70's so probably need the blue/green check so as DJP says I will wait until early April to see if I can get any check paintrolleyes.gif

Guest jim s-w

Hi Brian

Do JLTRT supply any way of representing the re-enforced window frames for Blue and grey and later?

Cheers

Jim

Done bit more this afternoon.

The etched footboards on the solebar are a fold over etch to get a bit of thickness to them. Then you are supposed to glue them on the solebar. Well I am no engineer but that is not going to be a good joint, so I soldered 2 brass strips on the bottom and drilled 2 holes in the solebars to locate them. A much better/stronger joint. I cut one of the guards access steps short as it's etched too long in my opinion and had to modify it to fit over the electrical box. I have got a Kadee fitted at one end and a JLTRT drop head buckeye at the other, dropped. It could be lifted and pinned in the upright position but it sticks out a bit far for use as a buckeye. The buffers at this end are sprung with a spring in the shaft and a piece of wire soldered through a hole in the buffer shaft that runs in a horizontal slot I cut it the buffer locating boss to stop it rotating. The buffers at the Kadee end are glued in the pushed in position. The interior is painted apart from the seats as I still can't make my mind up on what colour to do themsad.gif A couple of shots looking through the windows shows that you can't see much especially the guards compo. Note the picture of the door next to the guards compo that has the rubber bangers moulded on, it should not have any fitted and then the door that has no rubber bangers that should have them fittedangry.gif

Still tempted to glue the sides and ends to the chassis now before painting as I just know I would mess up the paint finish if I painted it first.

post-6766-128240419558_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128240419898_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128240420178_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128240420467_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128240420785_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128240421147_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128240421418_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128240421729_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128240422051_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128240422367_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12824042418_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128240425735_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The interior is painted apart from the seats as I still can't make my mind up on what colour to do themsad.gif .............

Here's a good picture of the blue moquette Brian.....Albeit on an open coach however same material - only difference is side trim panels were often trimmed in a single colour moquette (the darker of the two blues on the seat and back trim).

Or here, the grey Trojan moquette (bottom of the page) with grey trim panels.

Lovely coach though!

Brian, you are a man of infinite patience, not to mention prolific! Love the BRUTE in the luggage compartment... hope it's got it brakes on when the stock gets shunted biggrin.gif

Nidge

Too much spare time Nidge, you don't want to be driving trains all the time it's bad for your modelling timetongue.gif

Handbrake duly applied on the BRUTEsmile.gif

Primed the insides of the sides and ends so I can paint them and then I can glue the sides and ends onto the chassis.

I am demoing on the JLTRT stand at Telford so I won't paint the outside of this coach until after the show as all Pete has on his stand are finished models but I will have this there so the punters can see what the kits are made of.

I will be messing about with something else there but don't know what just yet.

I got hold of some transfers today from Appleby for the Slater vanwide and general vans. Might have to get a few more vanwides to use these nice transfers up on. The vanwide now has a nice glossy finish to put the transfers on next week.

If you get up to the screen realy close you can just see what's on the transfer sheets, or are my eyes that badohmy.gif

post-6766-128241578923_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128241579204_thumb.jpg

Here's a good picture of the blue moquette Brian.....Albeit on an open coach however same material - only difference is side trim panels were often trimmed in a single colour moquette (the darker of the two blues on the seat and back trim).

Or here, the grey Trojan moquette (bottom of the page) with grey trim panels.

Lovely coach though!

Nice pictures Bob but how the bl**dy hell do you paint it? I will go for the blue as it will brighten up the interior a bit. Could I get away with plain rail blue for seat covers?, I don't know. Has anyone done a waterslide transfer for seat coversrolleyes.gif

I will go for the blue as it will brighten up the interior a bit. Could I get away with plain rail blue for seat covers?, I don't know.

That's what I did - blue plus a bit of green and grey until I got a slightly dirty off blue colour that seemed to work.

Julian

Thanks - I still need to add a cover over the top of the corridor connector. The JLTRT instructions suggest a piece of small rubber but I've not found anything suitable yet.

Julian

Mike Radford (MARC Models) suggested using pieces from latex gloves to do this in 4mm I am not sure if you could do the same in 7mm but cheap enough to try?

I suppose I could pop into the local branch of Anne Summers and ask for some black latexblink.gif

There are magazines for people like you Brian... would you care to borrow some? biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing this one painted mate.

Nidge wink.gif

Mike Radford (MARC Models) suggested using pieces from latex gloves to do this in 4mm I am not sure if you could do the same in 7mm but cheap enough to try?

Good idea - I've got a box of 'examination gloves' that I use when I'm spraying which would be quick to try.

SWMBO is not too impressed with me keeping them in a kitchen drawer...

Julian

Hi Brian,

'Tis a very nice looking coach you're building there mate.

Just reading through the thread and seeing that you are also having thoughts as to how the moquette patterning can be achieved. When I built my easibuild's I had exactly the same thoughts. In the end I went for a plain colour as you suggested above and to be honest once they are populated and inside a relatively dark coach interior, you cannot really tell that they are just one shade.

post-7502-128247414519_thumb.jpg

post-7502-128247418993_thumb.jpg

The blue used on the above seats was Halfords Ford Baliol? Blue, but I am sure that rail blue would be a pretty good match too. easybuild seats are plaster casting and so the primer used can make a big difference to the colour, the BSK seats were primed with white primer and the 2nd photo with grey primer.

However a friend of mine had a technique of spraying a base colour ie. the blue quite heavily and while it was still wet, spraying the second colour up over the top of the seats so that a dust of that colour fell onto the seats giving a dappled effect, this worked quite well but does require some practice and I am going to give it a try on my next coach.

Cheers

Andy

I can't remember where I read this, but a method of achieving patterned seats is to apply a base colour then spray the contrasting "pattern colour" through a suitably sized mesh (such as the stuff they sell for larger repairs to car bodywork)

Nice looking coach (I have a JLTRT Gresley brake third waiting to be built, and that also looks the business)

regards

Stewart

• 4 weeks later...

After getting a couple of bits at Telford for the coach I am now back on it.

I got hold of 2 vacuum cylinders from Easybuild so I have now been able to finish the brake gear. Also bought some etched door hinges from Westdale as the ones on the kit do not show the hinge baseplate. I know some MkI's were built with the hinge inside the crease but I believe these all got changed to the style with the hinge screwed onto the coach side.

Also got a JLTRT 27/2 I am building at the moment that I will post here soon.

post-6766-028887400 1284738283_thumb.jpg

post-6766-005637500 1284738286_thumb.jpg

post-6766-083504300 1284738288_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The coach is on the back burner for a bit whilst get on with an ETH 27/2.

The standard 27 kit has had new sides made to represent the 27/2 with the extra grills for the ETH donkey engine. Unfortunatly the ETH was missing from the kit but I had some ETH from their 45 kits in the spares box so i have used this. Do do the 27/2's you have to remove the details from the solebar on one side and replace with a piece of plastic strip to represent a piece of conduit. The boiler tank guages should be filled in both sides. An exhaust for the donkey engine needs making in one of the boiler compartment vents from a piece of tubing. Still to be done in the attached pictures is a wire conduit under the plastic strip and another wire under that along the top of the tanks (present on 27/1 and /2 only). I have added the pipework from the fuel filler/drain.

If anyone is comtemplating one of these I hope the pictures help.

post-6766-036252900 1285068697_thumb.jpg

post-6766-071428500 1285068699_thumb.jpg

post-6766-018107000 1285068703_thumb.jpg

post-6766-002034400 1285068706_thumb.jpg

post-6766-051154500 1285068708_thumb.jpg

post-6766-091549100 1285068710_thumb.jpg

post-6766-004900100 1285068713_thumb.jpg

post-6766-008672100 1285068728_thumb.jpg

post-6766-085722600 1285069073_thumb.jpg

post-6766-016370400 1285069077_thumb.jpg

post-6766-026403600 1285069080_thumb.jpg

post-6766-027342100 1285069083_thumb.jpg

post-6766-081238500 1285069085_thumb.jpg

post-6766-083051200 1285069088_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Brian - just catching up with this thread - Im astounded at how good the Military stuff looks (being a bit of a Military vehicle nut) especially the 128" Ambulances.

I was wondering if there are any kits for the 101" FC (Forward Control) especially the ambulance body variant (I had one 76 GJ 97) as an FC would look just the part on your warflats!

The green colour of the landy's etc is NATO green (usually a standard colour) if that helps.

Top drawer stuff as normal. :D

Brian - just catching up with this thread - Im astounded at how good the Military stuff looks (being a bit of a Military vehicle nut) especially the 128" Ambulances.

I was wondering if there are any kits for the 101" FC (Forward Control) especially the ambulance body variant (I had one 76 GJ 97) as an FC would look just the part on your warflats!

The green colour of the landy's etc is NATO green (usually a standard colour) if that helps.

Top drawer stuff as normal. :D

I did use Tamiya NATO green in the end. I don't recall the cab forward Landrover in their range which is a shame as it would look very nice on the wagons.