Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

I am still here keeping busy  :sungum:

It has been a long time hasn't it since I appear to have done anything, so what have I been at?  I have painted those two Heljan class 60's. Some way back in this thread I built a Mousa models Conflat L, well I have finally built all 4 and painted them. Unfortunately though I still do not have any containers for them, nearly a year after I bought them :dontknow:  In the same vein I have also just finished my three Warwells that I have had for a couple of years! and am now finally at the painting stage. As I had already done a few pictures of the first built one a while ago I did not think it worth repeating myself. Another project completed is a set of nice speakers in my Heljan Deltic. Cliff Williams has found a supply of QSI look-a-like 1.57" speakers. So after making a couple of brass enclosures for them I now have a nice bassy Deltic.

Following a trip to Kettering I bought an Ian Kirk Siphon G as these lasted into the late 70's so will go with my Blue locos and I have always wanted to have a go at a Kirk kit. I also bought an etched 80 ton Warwell B kit which I saw one in Acton Yard in 1979. I also bought a Queen Mary brake to make at Bristol in January.

Also been keeping an eye on our friends in Denmark which is a full time job!

I have just had 3 weeks off work with holidays and rest days and did not see a train apart from a trip to the West Somerset Railway last week.

A couple of pictures of my next projects.

post-6766-0-03096600-1394557933.jpg

post-6766-0-44279000-1394557929.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

C'mon then.....show us your bass............speakers :music_mini: 

I've still not decided on how big and whether to use the chassis/fuel tanks as an enclosure or a stand alone box for the Deltic, it'll definately be using the lovely super bass type speakers though, they are the best I have found yet. 

I will take a picture tomorrow of an enclosure I have just made for another one of these speakers to go into my JLTRT class 26 and see or rather hear the difference from the standard ESU 40mm speaker.

Cliff Williams recommended putting the two new speakers in the body of the Heljan Deltic and I must admit as I lowered the body on the sound went a lot more bassy. A friend has the QSI equivalent of these speakers in the tank facing down on his Deltic and they do make a good track cleaner as they have a very powerful magnet in these speakers!

As this will probably be my next build I thought I had better take some pictures of "what's in the box" before I start.

I scanned the etched parts instead of a picture.

When I bought this at Kettering the owner/designer did say he could not find the correct buffers to go with it so he supplied some large taper ones. But I knew a man who did do the correct ones! John Talbot at Appleby, who just happened to be walking round the show. John put me onto Hobby Holidays who he had just done a batch of buffers for their 1940's Warflat kit (forgot to mention I have one of these to do as well) So a correct set was purchased from Hobby Holidays. Not forgetting 6 axles from Roxey as you can't use Slaters as this has an inside bogie frame that uses 3/16th axles. The sideframes of the model have rows of half etch rivets to punch out but it was also pointed out that some had holes there instead which is how the one in my picture is. It also has a few more holes for me to mark up and drill out. There is no handbrake wheel in the kit so two will have to be purchased. The coupling supplied is also wrong as it appears that these had UIC style couplings to go with the buffers as no doubt these were intended to go into Europe in the war.

I can't find many pictures of these beasts, not even on Paul Bartletts site, hint, hint if you are reading this Paul  ;)

post-6766-0-78816200-1394567374.jpg

post-6766-0-13021800-1394567377.jpg

post-6766-0-12615900-1394567379.jpg

post-6766-0-54454300-1394567381.jpg

post-6766-0-04147300-1394567384.jpg

post-6766-0-41385300-1394567373.jpg

• Like 4

Brian,

Your photo above is of a Diagram 0.33 inside framed siphon G with vertical planking, several of them did last until the late 70's.

But the Ian Kirk Inside Framed Siphon G kit is to Diagram 0.22 with horizontal planking, all of which had been condemned by the end of 1962. Dia. 0.22, Number 1199 was rebuilt as Steam Heating Instruction Van No. ADW 150322 and lasted until 1983.

(From the HMRS GW Siphons book).

Brian,

Oh! If only you'd posted the photo of the Warwell "B" a couple of weeks ago. I've just about finished my kit and was mystified as to where the handbrake was, I  couldn't believe that a vehicle so heavy wouldn't have had one, your photo revealed all though.  I guess that the handbrake wheels were positioned at diagonally opposite corners as the photo of W32906 in "Pre-Nationalisation Freight Wagons on BR" D.Larkin, Bradford Barton shews the same side but the opposite end minus a handbrake wheel.

A couple of tips before you commence the build, (1) don't take off to much material from part 11 when removing the cusp, it's not a very tight fit in the deck cut-out, (2) don't forget as I did to insert the 6BA screw in the bolster before soldering it to the underside of the deck and lastly,  try to insert the wheels in their frame before folding back the tabs on part 4, I found that they had to be eased back a bit as they interfered with the flange of the outer wheelsets by a small amount when fitting.  Other than that I've thoroughly enjoyed the build and will probably buy a second one.

Rather than using Roxey wheels I chose Peartree Engineering 2ft 8in loco wheels, they benefit from not having pin point axles and one of the wheel faces screws on/off-made life a lot easier. The side frames only needed a couple of turns with a reamer to get the Peartree bushes fitted.

All we want now is for Paul to re-post his photos on his site.

Regards, Mick.

Edited by tovetune

Thanks for the info Mick that will come in useful. That picture of mine has been on my Flickr site! I also have the D Larkin book with the only other picture I have of one. Paul did have some on his site earlier then? I am a bit worried that the deck is different on my picture than the model. It looks like in my picture that it has a wood deck all over?

I have just started to paint my 3 Warwells. The deck will be added later, I have been getting supply's of wood strip from motorway coffee shops!

post-6766-0-71184200-1394647882.jpg

post-6766-0-41644900-1394647884.jpg

post-6766-0-67907200-1394647886.jpg

post-6766-0-85197700-1394647887.jpg

post-6766-0-41084900-1394647890.jpg

• Like 4

Brian,

Your photo above is of a Diagram 0.33 inside framed siphon G with vertical planking, several of them did last until the late 70's.

But the Ian Kirk Inside Framed Siphon G kit is to Diagram 0.22 with horizontal planking, all of which had been condemned by the end of 1962. Dia. 0.22, Number 1199 was rebuilt as Steam Heating Instruction Van No. ADW 150322 and lasted until 1983.

(From the HMRS GW Siphons book).

You are quite right Kev, that will teach me to buy on impulse  :fool:  I knew I was on a sticky wicket with this "old time" modelling well outside my comfort zone. Thankfully it did not cost a lot!

You are quite right Kev, that will teach me to buy on impulse  :fool:  I knew I was on a sticky wicket with this "old time" modelling well outside my comfort zone. Thankfully it did not cost a lot!

Sorry I burst your bubble there Brian.

I don't think there is a kit about at the moment for the vertical planked inside framed siphon G. Which is curious because they had such a long lifespan.

Brian,

well done for finding the Warwell photos, I've searched several times on Paul's site without turning anything up, as you say, it looks as if the whole deck had timber boarding.  John Firminger (Signature Models) told me that a vehicle at Carnforth was used for measurements etc. so that must be the same one that Paul took photos of.

Regards, Mick.

Hi Brian

I emailed Dave Parkins who confirmed he had done both the diag 033 and 062 Siphon G kits, they were sold to RJH in 1988 and passed to PRMRP who I also asked by email who confirmed hed had the Siphon kits passed to him but that they were no longer available.

Ian