Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Whilst spraying my Warwells something kept nagging me so I had another look on Paul Bartlets site an confirmed what I was thinking that in the late 70's/early 80's the Warwells were twin piped and I would say all had vac blow through. At work last night I kept thinking, should I or shouldn't I add these? Well as I had the required castings in stock I decided to add them now as I still had to spray a couple of more coats of green. I also added a plate on the left hand end that has a yellow wagon number plate on it. I will brush paint some primer on these bits and resume the spraying! I also checked that I had enough transfers from Appleby to do 3 KWB's.

post-6766-0-25872000-1394731755.jpg

post-6766-0-94236800-1394731757.jpg

• Like 5

As this will probably be my next build I thought I had better take some pictures of "what's in the box" before I start.

I scanned the etched parts instead of a picture.

When I bought this at Kettering the owner/designer did say he could not find the correct buffers to go with it so he supplied some large taper ones. But I knew a man who did do the correct ones! John Talbot at Appleby, who just happened to be walking round the show. John put me onto Hobby Holidays who he had just done a batch of buffers for their 1940's Warflat kit (forgot to mention I have one of these to do as well) So a correct set was purchased from Hobby Holidays. Not forgetting 6 axles from Roxey as you can't use Slaters as this has an inside bogie frame that uses 3/16th axles. The sideframes of the model have rows of half etch rivets to punch out but it was also pointed out that some had holes there instead which is how the one in my picture is. It also has a few more holes for me to mark up and drill out. There is no handbrake wheel in the kit so two will have to be purchased. The coupling supplied is also wrong as it appears that these had UIC style couplings to go with the buffers as no doubt these were intended to go into Europe in the war.

I can't find many pictures of these beasts, not even on Paul Bartletts site, hint, hint if you are reading this Paul  ;)

attachicon.gif80T Warwell 01rmweb.jpg

attachicon.gif80T Warwell 02rmweb.jpg

attachicon.gif80T Warwell 03rmweb.jpg

attachicon.gif80T Warwell 04rmweb.jpg

attachicon.gif80T Warwell 05rmweb.jpg

attachicon.gif80T Warwell 06rmweb.jpg

We had a few of these on Ingot Mould traffic from Landore in the 1970s (the Larkin photo is of one of them)- they had UIC-style screw couplings and also side chains. They were piped but not fitted.

• RMweb Premium

Here are a couple of pictures of Cliff Williams QSI lookalike speaker and a brass enclosure I have made for it. I will add some bathroom silicon sealer to locate it.

Hi Brian.........yep they are the ones I use, I have tried all different types in my 7mm stuff and always end up using these, first one was in my 37 using the entire void under the Heljan circuit board in the chassis as the box, it sounds so good!

I have yet to play around with my 55, only got it out of the box to inspect it for shipping damage and its not been out since, about 6 months ago or more!  And with plans for moving and building I am not so sure it'll be coming out the box few a few years now  :no2:

I dread the packing of all my modelling gear......will I ever find that drop springle washer for the upper shaft intermediate thrust bearing again?  :laugh:

Hi Brian

More info re a Siphon G, I made an email enquiry regarding the availability of a Hawksworth Full Brake to be produced in 7mm scale by Hurn Models(Chris Hillier) and in his reply he said he was awaiting the production of the bogies which he hoped would be available around June and that he was hoping to have a kit for a Diag O62 Siphon G available at the same time.

Kind Regards

Ian

I have been busy this last week finishing off my Warwells and I now have one finished! Just need to clean the wheels and add the disc brakes on the other two. I painted these in Railmatch GWR Post 1928 Green, looks ok to me when it's got a bit of brake dust on it. I built this Warwell with a pair of the outer pockets that go in the well as there are still some under the current Warwells although they do have a bit of rust in them as you can see in the picture below. The kit has a centre pocket as well but I have not seen any of these on the real Warwells so assume that they were removed early on. I decided to make these as KWB's with a vac blow through pipe and also make them twin piped as I want them to be modelled in the late 70's early 80's before they got the wide additions on the end platforms and looking at Paul Bartletts pictures and dates on them they were twin piped in that time period. I must add a vac and res pipe on my Warflat KFA's to make them KFB or PFB's to match these Warwells. I still have the wood decks to add but I have got some strip cut and waiting to be added. The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that this KWB has a brake fault and it has it's distributor isolated! Tha vac and airpipes I have used are from JLTRT. The distributor and air res tank are from Appleby on all three Warwells but this one has a "spare" air res tank from by spares box. The couplings are Heljan diesel ones as they are long enough to work between two sets of Appleby Blair buffers. The brake discs are ones I had etched a few years ago that fit into 2'8" wheels.

post-6766-0-14618200-1395229648.jpg

post-6766-0-99476200-1395229649.jpg

post-6766-0-93630900-1395229693.jpg

post-6766-0-93114300-1395229695.jpg

post-6766-0-47220700-1395229697.jpg

post-6766-0-01974800-1395229699.jpg

post-6766-0-41581500-1395229700.jpg

post-6766-0-68302100-1395229994.jpg

• Like 10

Well I have 3 Warwells, 4 Warflats an OCA and hopefully a KFA Tiphook Container flat for an airbraked train. If I model a train in the late 70's I can use 5 vac braked Vanwides withvac braked VVV Bannana van barriers at each end. I also have an old riveted Warflat with diamond frame bogies to build for the late 70's train. I will have to run this one with a van on though as I think 7 Warflats/Warwells as vac blow throughs might not be best practice! I can also add my vac braked inspection saloon for when I transport some dodgy MoD stuff.

These have to be the last wagons running with side chains?

Side chains seemed to remain in use (or at least present) on a lot of French unfitted/ piped stock for a lot longer than they did in the UK; I've seen photos of the two types of mineral supplied post-1944 by the UK, and fitted with them.

These Flatrols were originally built to carry the 'Super Sherman'(M6), which was only built as a small number of prototypes.

The last week I have busy soldering up the 80 ton Warflat which is now finished.

post-6766-0-59006800-1395665020.jpg

I have added the etches with the triangular cutouts above each bogie pivot just to see what it was like. The kit supplies an etch for planking that goes on the slope at both ends and another etch planking part to go in the middle of the wagon deck. From the pictures I have seen the one I am doing as a Weltrol has planking from one end to the other the full width of the deck so I shall make this from wood strip once it's painted.

post-6766-0-21414100-1395665022.jpg

post-6766-0-24095100-1395665025.jpg

post-6766-0-74483500-1395665023.jpg

Buffers are from Holiday Hobbies/Appleby and are rather long so I have used the supplied coupling hook but will use a Heljan diesel coupling on it when I can get some as these are the correct style and they are nice and long. The safety chains are made from a hook and etched ring to go into the bufferbeam from ones supplied in my Hobby Holidays Warwells that I did not use as I modelled them after they were removed, so remember to never throw anything away!

Forgot to say that the handbrake wheels are from my scrap box.

post-6766-0-24908800-1395665028.jpg

post-6766-0-80876600-1395665031.jpg

I did wonder if a ridged 6 wheel bogie would go round my undulating garden layout so I made some up and down movement in the centre bearings and to stop them rotating I secured them with a length of Phosphor bronze wire slightly tensioned in a downward direction.

post-6766-0-74697600-1395665034.jpg

post-6766-0-56873000-1395665037.jpg

The buffer heads have a flat on the top of them so to stop them turning I cut a slot in the inner frames and added a length of wire from buffer to buffer.

The instructions tell you to use 3 washers to raise the body off the bogies on each 6BA bolt/pivot. Doing this made it rock a bit so I added the washers either side of one pivot to keep that bogie/body horizontal and used the washers at the other end over the pivot so allowing that bogie to rock all it likes. I have pushed it round the garden line and it did not de-rail or rock so this arrangement will do.

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 8

I don't recollect the prototype having loads of perforations like that; are they intended to take cosmetic rivets?

If you go back 2 pages (80) my picture of this wagon has lots of holes in it and the picture on Paul Bartletts site has a side like a Swiss Cheese.

What are you going to put on it Brian?

I don't know yet but it's got to have something on it hasn't it.

I have been busy this last week finishing off my Warwells and I now have one finished! Just need to clean the wheels and add the disc brakes on the other two. I painted these in Railmatch GWR Post 1928 Green, looks ok to me when it's got a bit of brake dust on it. I built this Warwell with a pair of the outer pockets that go in the well as there are still some under the current Warwells although they do have a bit of rust in them as you can see in the picture below. The kit has a centre pocket as well but I have not seen any of these on the real Warwells so assume that they were removed early on. I decided to make these as KWB's with a vac blow through pipe and also make them twin piped as I want them to be modelled in the late 70's early 80's before they got the wide additions on the end platforms and looking at Paul Bartletts pictures and dates on them they were twin piped in that time period. I must add a vac and res pipe on my Warflat KFA's to make them KFB or PFB's to match these Warwells. I still have the wood decks to add but I have got some strip cut and waiting to be added. The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that this KWB has a brake fault and it has it's distributor isolated! Tha vac and airpipes I have used are from JLTRT. The distributor and air res tank are from Appleby on all three Warwells but this one has a "spare" air res tank from by spares box. The couplings are Heljan diesel ones as they are long enough to work between two sets of Appleby Blair buffers. The brake discs are ones I had etched a few years ago that fit into 2'8" wheels.

Looks like not only a vac blow thru, but is an air blow thru too from the position of the distributor isolating handle.