RMweb

Ruston & Hornsby 0-6-0DE announced in OO by Kernow, Heljan & Model Rail.

bubbles2

My pristine version of 97652 has arrived as well, but I haven't managed to run it yet.  I've been looking forward to getting one of these since the idea was formulated a couple of years ago, they were my favourites to watch at Fairwater Yard, outside of Taunton back in the good old days! Reading the above leaves me filled with trepidation now that performance isn't going to match appearance.  I'll let you know.....

Jon T

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Shame but I really wanted at least one of these, but with the price tag and indifferent running I decided to not make a purchase. The modelling budget is needed elsewhere. I’d seen all bar 651 working in the Bristol area in the mid 1970s and remember them demeshed in PW trains working to/from possessions. One lived in Stoke Gifford yard for 2-3 weeks in 1975/6. My money will go to a South Wales Accurascale 37 instead. 
I have a Judith edge kit for PWM650 will get that one done to fill my needs, if that runs badly it’s down to me. By the way I always thought, perhaps mistakenly, that PWM stood for Permanent way Maintenance. 
Neil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have messed up the chassis a bit on my 650, may end up replacing the wheels and crankpins and starting again.

Motor and gearbox fit is a bit odd, but now I have more experience I WILL get it going.

Got the Railtec  transfers, mine is as after a full repaint when really shiny in blue.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Happily i can report that my model runs beautifully, and ever better having had a decent time on the rolling road.  I'm really sorry for those for whom this was not the case, but important to report that some run fine from the box.

Now to summon up courage to fit the dcc chip. Wish me luck!

Jon T

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 18/04/2023 at 21:32, Roy Langridge said:

I would love to know what Kernow and ModelRail think and have said to Heljan, they too must be disappointed.

The current Model Rail (312-May 2023) says there will be a review in the next issue. An example with an badly fitted bonnet sneeks into a photo on page 22 in article concerning touches to a wagon made on, or after, the day after Issue 311 was sent to the printers which would possibly imply a review would normally have appeared in the current issue.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve also got one that ran pretty well straight out of the box, and is even better after a couple of hours trundling in each direction……

The bonnet doesn’t fit particularly well, but I’ll sort that out….🙄

It’s running on DC power, so it’s anyone’s guess whether the cab light will be on or off every time power is applied….😆

Even with the faults, it’s somehow a charming little thing….a bit like the runt of a litter !!

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The current Model Rail (312-May 2023) says there will be a review in the next issue. An example with an badly fitted bonnet sneeks into a photo on page 22 in article concerning touches to a wagon made on, or after, the day after Issue 311 was sent to the printers which would possibly imply a review would normally have appeared in the current issue.

"look out for a more detailed overview of the real 'PWMs" is what it says.

• Tempfix

OK, my third replacement has arrived and it runs! Massive thanks to Kernow for their excellent customer service, but from the conversation I had with them on the phone it seems like I've had a 1 in 8 chance of getting a £170 locomotive that is actually capable of moving as designed. Not great odds if you're buying one of these sight unseen, so do be careful. 

One of the buffers is misaligned, the white handwheel that locates the lubricator is broken, one windscreen wiper is missing and the bonnet is one of those that doesn't seem to clip on properly, but I suppose one can't have everything!

I can fix these things. Shouldn't have to though. Pretty shameful episode Heljan.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good news everyone. After returning my first model, Kernow were great and managed to select a well running example. As others have said, this is not what we expect of Heljan.

I understand that prices and costs have to rise in the current financial climate, but this feels like a budget model with a premium price. What extra cost for sprung buffers? Marker lights? They were managed for the 05 and 07 models. The running of the model is smooth and wonderfully geared. Looking forward to enhancing it with DCC Sound. Still thankful to Kernow and Model Rail for making it happen.

Neil.

Edited by zoomer1979
Embedded video
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Tempfix
7 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

this feels like a budget model with a premium price

Spot on with that, couldn't agree more. Thanks for the video too. That is a lot smoother running than either of the ones I had, shows it can be done and you can get a good one if you can find one. Still the same eccentricity, although yours is really, really slight. The first one I had would have fallen off the rollers at that speed.

A good check, if you don't mind going a bit cross-eyed but are thinking of buying one, run the video and keep your eye on the distance between the wheels. Ignore the rods and just look at the edges of the wheels as they go around. Weathered bits on this example aside, the centre and rear wheels are a constant distance apart all the way thorough this video clip, watch again between the centre and front wheels by the lubricator. The gap increases and decreases, suggesting that the wheel is not square on the end of the axle. I don't think it's the lubricator that causes this - but if anyone has removed it and seen an improvement let us know.

If coupled wheels can be made to run true in N and 009, why are these not in OO?

Rich

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

On 23/04/2023 at 19:56, Rich Papper said:

Spot on with that, couldn't agree more. Thanks for the video too. That is a lot smoother running than either of the ones I had, shows it can be done and you can get a good one if you can find one. Still the same eccentricity, although yours is really, really slight. The first one I had would have fallen off the rollers at that speed.

A good check, if you don't mind going a bit cross-eyed but are thinking of buying one, run the video and keep your eye on the distance between the wheels. Ignore the rods and just look at the edges of the wheels as they go around. Weathered bits on this example aside, the centre and rear wheels are a constant distance apart all the way thorough this video clip, watch again between the centre and front wheels by the lubricator. The gap increases and decreases, suggesting that the wheel is not square on the end of the axle. I don't think it's the lubricator that causes this - but if anyone has removed it and seen an improvement let us know.

If coupled wheels can be made to run true in N and 009, why are these not in OO?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I did notice that there is still an issue with the front wheelset. I've yet to decide if I'm going to investigate it, or just live with it. Maybe once I get a sound chip and have to take the body off. Hopefully a simple fix of the wheel onto the axle.

Neil.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/04/2023 at 06:32, bubbles2 said:

Received my replacement yesterday following a phone call from Kernow, he said they all wobble a bit but most not as bad as the one I returned, I was offered my money back but I opted for the one that  wobbled the least and the replacement is much better and certainly acceptable to me. The problem with this one is the cab light will not stay turned off with the wand supplied, when stopped or at low power or changing direction it just comes on again, but I will disconnect or mask it as in my opinion it is far too bright and something of a gimmick. The gap under the bonnet that most have I can probably sort once I get it apart, the bar at the bottom of the buffer beam is fitted badly  but these will need to be removed temporarily to fit the tension lock blanking plate and screw link couplings, So all in all not too bad, but still not what I expect from a new model. I give it 5 out of 10, could do better. 

Well it’s just as well I hadn’t got around to fitting screw links and disconnecting the cab light as what was a reasonable runner has developed a pronounced limp and on investigation I discovered the inner plastic part of the left front wheel has split where the axel passes through it along with a spoke split at the outer end and the outer circumference of the plastic  wheel insert also has a split where the metal tyre fits over it, very disappointing. So back it must go to Kernow, hopefully for a replacement.

On further investigation the front right wheel also has a split at its centre.

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0003.jpeg

IMG_0005.jpeg

Edited by bubbles2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I really wish Heljan would do the right thing here and withdraw them from sale and fix the issues, replacing those already in the hands of people. 

Roy

Unfortunately for Heljan, I didn't order a PWM, which I did want.  I spent an afternoon in 1976 watching 652 shunt wagons.  For what they are asking, the PWMs should run like watches.

I also cancelled my pre-order for the Class 02, I'd rather wait and see if they have problems, rather than having to return a model to the UK.  If I miss out on the 02, oh well...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 05/05/2023 at 13:54, bubbles2 said:

Well it’s just as well I hadn’t got around to fitting screw links and disconnecting the cab light as what was a reasonable runner has developed a pronounced limp and on investigation I discovered the inner plastic part of the left front wheel has split where the axel passes through it along with a spoke split at the outer end and the outer circumference of the plastic  wheel insert also has a split where the metal tyre fits over it, very disappointing. So back it must go to Kernow, hopefully for a replacement.

On further investigation the front right wheel also has a split at its centre.

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0003.jpeg

IMG_0005.jpeg

Geoff that’s pretty awful! 

I wonder how many more will end up splitting like that, reminds me of the old Mainline wheels with the plastic ‘muffs’….

I was going to order 651, friend of the family used to drive it at Radyr and as I lived just up the road I spent many happy hours trundling around the yard.

I might give Chris a ring at Kernow and see if I can pick one up as a static.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackRat said:

Geoff that’s pretty awful! 

I wonder how many more will end up splitting like that, reminds me of the old Mainline wheels with the plastic ‘muffs’….

I was going to order 651, friend of the family used to drive it at Radyr and as I lived just up the road I spent many happy hours trundling around the yard.

I might give Chris a ring at Kernow and see if I can pick one up as a static.

Hi Neil, good to hear from you. Yes this is all a bit sad, I do wonder if the wheel splitting is caused by the liberal amount of oil that all 3 of my  PWMs  have been covered with, yes I received my Model Rail 3rd blue one today having returned the first 2.

The latest one is the best runner of the 3, so hopefully it’s 3rd time lucky, this one has the problem with the cab light where if you turn it off with the supplied wand it comes on again under low power, changing direction or when stopped and started again, but as I’ve said before the cab light is far too bright and I think a bit of a gimmick, so if this one survives beyond the guarantee period I’ll be doing away with this.

There is a rather good 8 page spread featuring the PWMs in Model RAIL 313, although no mention of the problems with the models of course.

If you have any luck getting hold of knock down priced returns please let me know, these locos spent time being towed in PW trains between work locations so unpowered examples would be ideal for including in these trains, originally when first announced I thought I’ll have 3, one each in Green, blue and yellow, sadly the high price and problems have now put me off.

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, paulbb said:

The flanges look a little deep/big, not unlike the TT120 models recently introduced.

As you say the flanges are rather deep, although it runs smoothly on my hand built code 75 point work and SMP track, also the plastic centres are quite rough mouldings with flash left on the inside of the spokes, certainly not what we expect on our recently produced models.

• RMweb Premium

Would have been nice if the blanking pieces for the coupling slot in the bufferbeam had been factory painted, instead of leaving it to the buyer to colour match to the model.

Would also have been nice if there was some mention in the instructions as to where the little angled plates in the parts bag actually go....

I know it's not hard to work out from prototype pics, but still.......

Anyway, mine's now ready for service....

20230512_135258.jpg.68fab2540f593b2c7811d2eb807fa9ee.jpg20230512_135322.jpg.495e4c4447881bca56782d51473ed730.jpg20230512_135342.jpg.39205d5cb306de795d47fed4de12a0bc.jpg

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

Having just read the current issue of Model Rail , I couldn't find for the life of me any review of their new PWM's

It seems to me that they have simply side stepped the issue .

Hardly suprising given that a glowing review would be ridiculed by many given the well publicised issues with these models.

A subjective review on the other hand may have well condemned  these models to being left unsold at least at the current price being asked for.

They're in a no win situation .

Must be a tad embarrassing to say the least !

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1