Ruston & Hornsby 0-6-0DE announced in OO by Kernow, Heljan & Model Rail.

bubbles2

5 hours ago, Albie the plumber said:

Having just read the current issue of Model Rail , I couldn't find for the life of me any review of their new PWM's

It seems to me that they have simply side stepped the issue .

Hardly suprising given that a glowing review would be ridiculed by many given the well publicised issues with these models.

A subjective review on the other hand may have well condemned  these models to being left unsold at least at the current price being asked for.

They're in a no win situation .

Must be a tad embarrassing to say the least !

I repeat: "look out for a more detailed overview of the real 'PWMs" is what it says. 

49 minutes ago, VIA185 said:

I repeat: "look out for a more detailed overview of the real 'PWMs" is what it says. 

Overview does not equal review.

Cop-out springs to mind - we can point out deficiencies in other producers' products, but not our own.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Albie the plumber said:

Having just read the current issue of Model Rail , I couldn't find for the life of me any review of their new PWM's

It seems to me that they have simply side stepped the issue .

Hardly suprising given that a glowing review would be ridiculed by many given the well publicised issues with these models.

A subjective review on the other hand may have well condemned  these models to being left unsold at least at the current price being asked for.

They're in a no win situation .

Must be a tad embarrassing to say the least !

There is a ‘Masterclass’ article on the prototype and George Dent does a detailing and weathering job on the model. Agree this isn’t the same as a review. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Cop-out springs to mind - we can point out deficiencies in other producers' products, but not our own.

CJI.

I'd interpret 'real PWMs' as meaning 1:1 scale anyway.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Normally the magazines don't review their own products and the others would not want to encourage their customers to buy a rival magazine so it is very rare for a magazine product to be reviewed by any magazine.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I always believed that MR did not review their own 'products' as a matter of principle, leaving it to the other mags to do.

And as they don't supply models to other mags for review, then they don't get reviewed.

However, if another mag did get their paws on a ModelRail model, and was less than complimentary about it, you can be sure the fanbois would be out in force saying the review was biased.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

And as they don't supply models to other mags for review, then they don't get reviewed.

However, if another mag did get their paws on a ModelRail model, and was less than complimentary about it, you can be sure the fanbois would be out in force saying the review was biased.

And to be fair a review in MR isnt going to shed more light on anything that hasnt been very well scrutinized and recorded on this thread. RM did however completed a review and noted their sample had a warped running plate casting

I've now fitted sound to my PWM. I was in a bit of a dilemma as I was convinced the offering by Digitrains was the best sounding, having driven one in real life. But their version was based on a 165DS with a single horn. In the end I went for it, when I saw how smooth the Zimo drive was. But their recommended speaker was O.O.Stock. I selected a couple of possible substitutes and awaited delivery. Today was install day. Once into the model I made an "executive decision" and took out the gimmicky and pointless cab lighting and used the cable routes to install an 18x18x13 speaker in the cab. It sounds great and the motor control is superb. I've discovered that the drive controls can be used in a way that the gear change noise will not occur therefore sounding for all intents and purposes like a 165DE. Just missing a second tone on the horn. Kudos to Digitrains for a quick service and for answering my questions.

Video shows donkey engine to charge air, then a cold start and a bit of running. Apologies for the focus, it was fine until I hit record!

Neil

Edited by zoomer1979
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

I've now fitted sound to my PWM. I was in a bit of a dilemma as I was convinced the offering by Digitrains was the best sounding, having driven one in real life. But their version was based on a 165DS with a single horn. In the end I went for it, when I saw how smooth the Zimo drive was. But their recommended speaker was O.O.Stock. I selected a couple of possible substitutes and awaited delivery. Today was install day. Once into the model I made an "executive decision" and took out the gimmicky and pointless cab lighting and used the cable routes to install an 18x18x13 speaker in the cab. It sounds great and the motor control is superb. I've discovered that the drive controls can be used in a way that the gear change noise will not occur therefore sounding for all intents and purposes like a 165DE. Just missing a second tone on the horn. Kudos to Digitrains for a quick service and for answering my questions.

Video shows donkey engine to charge air, then a cold start and a bit of running. Apologies for the focus, it was fine until I hit record!

Neil

Excellent! Work ,Well done ! .

Like the fact you've managed to omit the gear change sound .

Did you change CV's to do that ? 

20 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

Excellent! Work ,Well done ! .

Like the fact you've managed to omit the gear change sound .

Did you change CV's to do that ? 

Hi Albie,

It's a characteristic of the protodrive program on the chip. It says on the user instructions that of you go full power straight away, the gears will jump straight to 3rd or 5th depending on top speed. It then learns that that's the way you drive a keeps it that way. Quite clever. I'm realising I need a stay alive, but there's room in the bonnet for that now.

Thanks for the interest.

Neil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2023 at 19:07, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Nope. It’s consistent with their previous releases. MR haven’t reviewed  their ‘own’ Sentinel, USA Tank, J70 or 16XX. You can also expect to not review their forthcoming VOR tank, class 11 or class 48. I suspect the reason why the PWM was reviewed in RM is it’s because it’s an MR/Kernow partnership L/E, and they may have sent one in as a  ‘Kernow’ shop release.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

They refer to it as having been supplied by Heljan. They mention the Kernow editions, but don't mention Model Rail at all.

In the "old days" (before 1980 or so) the magazines used to acknowledge one another’s existence — they don't do that any more.The only place to see reviews of such models normally is on YouTube and the like.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered PWM651 from Kernow. It arrived well packaged and first impressions out of the box were good. It does look the part. However, closer inspection started showing problems. I have the 'gap' between the bonnet and running plate. I'll follow advice on here and trim back the lip on the running plate. All of the rest of the body and details were in tact.

So now to a test run on dc, as it's a dcc ready model. It started to move hesitantly for a couple of feet and stopped. I tried it in reverse and after a bit of encouragement, it ran backwards hesitantly. It also had the 'waddle'. I was disappointed with the hesitant start stop running, my old Trix version runs better! Closer inspection revealed that only four of the pick up contacts were actually touching the wheel rims! I rectified this by removing the keeper plate and gently adjusting the wipers. Upon reassembly, it ran much better now it was picking up off all six wheels,  but still waddling. I will have a closer look to see if it is excess sideplay or eccentric wheels. It has now been fitted with a dcc decoder.

So, all in all a bit disappointing I felt. I shouldn't have to 'fix' a brand new £170 locomotive (which I felt was overpriced for a small shunter) before I can use it! In retrospect, the body issues were there on the EP's and pre-production models and should never have got as far as a production version! The derail beams, as noted, are the wrong way round and for the money, I would have expected working marker lights at least, if not working headlights as well. Rigid buffers are a backward step and surely the coupling blanking plates could have been factory painted? 

I have a Judith Edge Kits PWM650 that I built which is streets ahead of this offering. It doesn't waddle, the bonnet fits, has sprung buffers, cab light etc. I was rather hoping Mike was going to produce the PWM651-4 version as well, but as he hasn't yet, I bought this. Hopefully he will in the future?

Disappointing model.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Thanks for the nice compliments but we are unlikely to produce the other PWMs now, even a rather poor model impacts on potential sales too much.

A pity Mike, I would have had one in a shot, even now! However, I completely understand your point. 

Just to show what I mean, here is my version of PWM650 built from Mike's excellent kit.

Screenshot_20230531-000106_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Wagonmaster said:

A pity Mike, I would have had one in a shot, even now! However, I completely understand your point. 

Just to show what I mean, here is my version of PWM650 built from Mike's excellent kit.

Screenshot_20230531-000106_Chrome.jpg

Looks better than mine, still being built, I need to redo my chassis!

Mine is ex works blue. Do an image search and clean pictures at Horton Road, I would have liked 654 as it worked same area as 650. Also say 651 ex works once.

• 5 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Albie the plumber said:

Anyone notice that the two industrial versions of these loco's are now retailing at £135 .00 ? 

That's according to an email sent by Kernow 

Yes, they are starting to be discounted now. At the Perth model railway show last weekend I saw a brand new industrial one marked at £101.95! Feels like that should have been the original RRP.

Neil.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2023 at 03:24, Albie the plumber said:

There's a few  used examples currently on sale on the bay for £140 plus postage .

It states that the wheel wobble and bodyshell fitting issues have been fixed on these particular examples .

Worth a look.

The text also says the body has been modified to fit the chassis, but the pictures suggest differently.

Perhaps stock images used ?

On 20/08/2023 at 06:13, adb968008 said:

The text also says the body has been modified to fit the chassis, but the pictures suggest differently.

Perhaps stock images used ?

Well , it arrived and overall , I'm pretty pleased with it .

It's obviously a returned Kernow model as it comes in that retailers packaging. 

The body fit still isn't perfect but is IMO , improved as the description suggests .

No warping of the running plate.

What is beyond doubt is the running qualities of this particular model. 

It runs as sweet as a nut .

No wadling like a duck , really pleased about that .

I've included a pic to allow others to make their own mind up about the body fit issue .

20230825_235128.jpg

• Like 3