Ruston & Hornsby 0-6-0DE announced in OO by Kernow, Heljan & Model Rail.

bubbles2

Well friends, mine is being returned as it runs like a three-legged camel. There's a serious issue with wheel alignment. The front axle which is the driven one, is hard over to one side, so the rest of the chassis tries to correct resulting in a very uneven run and a very pronounced waddle in both directions. I'll contact Kernow later for a replacement.

I'll attach video footage for illustration.

Neil.

DSC_0318.JPG

Edited by zoomer1979
Embedding didn't work first time.
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, zoomer1979 said:

Well friends, mine is being returned as it runs like a three-legged camel. There a serious issue with wheel alignment. The front axle which is the driven one, is hard over to one side, so the rest of the chassis tries to correct resulting in a very uneven run and a very pronounced waddle in both directions. I'll contact Kernow later for a replacement.

I'll attach video footage for illustration.

Neil.

DSC_0318.JPG

That is truly awful, hopefully the running issues are not common, however, that gap under the body seems to be near 100%

This was a definite “want” having had my early “spotting days” around Reading, however, I am currently considering giving it a miss, especially as I run DCC and they seem to have made getting the body off troublesome.

If the body can be easily removed I may relent and do the fix, however, if @adb968008’s experience of a glued on body is common, the risk of damage on a brand new model, invalidating the warranty, is too high in my book. 

Would be interesting to hear @61661’s thoughts on this and whether Heljan intend to try and remedy this. I don’t think KMRC or ModelRail will be happy as I guess there may be a good number of returns. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

based on my experience, If there’s a factory fix..

I’d say remove the lip, and make the bonnet body clips a bit beefier…

Once I removed the lip it went on fine, but the clips still don’t grip the frame, they just aren’t big enough.

I suspect that’s why the factory resorted to glue. But the screws are sufficient at the front to hold it, and the clips on the cab are bigger, and also hold the frame… so both combined suffice to hold it.

I do think having to access the chassis via removing the links between the handle and the connecting rod is asking for a world of pain… it’s flimsier than paper… and the wheel has play.. which means it can go out of true, and the rod out of quartering, relying on the operator to know how to put it back.

I suspect that’s why the revised instruction sheet suggested going in via the bodyshell and leaving the chassis screwed into the frame, and removing the body screws instead..

but glue puts pay to that.

Edited by adb968008

This is something that ought to have interested me but I never ordered one. The supposed "industrial" version isn't. It's merely a repainted BR PWM. There are several details that mark out the BR locos from the regular ones and Heljan have paid no attention to them. Some, such as the air horns being mounted on the roof, are easily overcome, but others, such as the side panel having missing louvres where the BR logo was, are virtually impossible to rectify.

But it's the poor build quality and what appear to be deep-flanged wheels that are really bad for a model of 2023, especially one costing £170! They're taking the proverbial.

This really highlights the problem we have with this modern way of selling and manufacturing, where so-and-so announce a model and people rush to order them, not knowing what the finished product will be like. Sometimes we get gold and other times we get garbage. I noticed in publicity shots of the "industrial" versions that the engine casing/running plate interface was poor, but this is another problem with all of this "pre-production", "engineering samples" and whatever. Is what you see in the photograph what you will get, or is it a pre-production sample? I'm sure that anyone who saw those photos and still ordered one expected that the finished product wouldn't have that warped running plate and it's disgusting that Hejlan saw that their finished models were coming out like that and still sent them out.

And regarding the warped running plate, it will be interesting to see what the various magazine reviews say and show. Will they receive a random sample, or one that has been especially picked out or even fettled beforehand? I'll be very surprised if we see examples with warped running plates.

Edited by Ruston
To add comment re reviews.
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

It’s a great shame these 97/6 department shunters have so many issues, when first announced I was very excited being an enthusiast of all things western region and modelling in periods from the late 50s to 1985, I was up for one in each livery of green, blue and yellow, I hadn’t preordered and now am wondering if I want one. It would be good to hear from any others who have purchased them, are there good ones out there, are some people happy with them, but I guess those are the ones we don’t hear about. Then there are people who will buy them to keep in the box and others who will I suppose put up with the poor running, damaged parts, poor fitting parts or parts dropped off, so please if you have a good one you are happy with let us know to help me make a decision about buying one. At least being in Cornwall I can make the trip to Kernow Models to check out what I buy and hopefully test run before buying even if it is an hours journey each way by fast motorcycle.

• Agree 1

Well I received my yellow one from Kernow today 97653

I put it on the rolling road and it ran like silk in both directions for an hour or so.

I decided to order a Blue one from Kernow and a clean yellow one from Model Rail.

I had a quick read through on here and noticed the that people had a problem with the body not clipped on to the running plate and a visible gap.

Just checked mine and sure enough i have the gap as well.

I was a bit dismayed about others having trouble removing the body and wished I hadn't ordered the other 2 .

Thought I would try removing the body via the 2 front screws and the body popped off no problem very easy.

I must be one of the lucky ones no glue what so ever.

I will fettle the running plate down so the body is  more of a snug fit after I have ordered and fitted a sound decoder.

All in all I am happy with the one I have, the weathering is a little over done on the bonnet but I am sure with a cotton bud dipped in White spirit most of it will come off.

Regards Baz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 minutes ago, bazil31 said:

Well I received my yellow one from Kernow today 97653

I put it on the rolling road and it ran like silk in both directions for an hour or so.

I decided to order a Blue one from Kernow and a clean yellow one from Model Rail.

I had a quick read through on here and noticed the that people had a problem with the body not clipped on to the running plate and a visible gap.

Just checked mine and sure enough i have the gap as well.

I was a bit dismayed about others having trouble removing the body and wished I hadn't ordered the other 2 .

Thought I would try removing the body via the 2 front screws and the body popped off no problem very easy.

I must be one of the lucky ones no glue what so ever.

I will fettle the running plate down so the body is  more of a snug fit after I have ordered and fitted a sound decoder.

All in all I am happy with the one I have, the weathering is a little over done on the bonnet but I am sure with a cotton bud dipped in White spirit most of it will come off.

Regards Baz

That’s great to see Baz, I’m so pleased you are happy with your purchase, let us know how the others are when they arrive. More responses like this would be good, but either way let’s hear how yours are on delivery.

Yes I will do 

Given body a quick clean with Revell thinners and the weathering comes off with very little effort it leaves a dirt deposit around the nooks and crevices and looks really good.

I will add a little bit touch up using powders and washes and see how it comes out.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Well, I had mine arrive today, Heljan 9770  (Industrial Yellow) and yes, warped running plate, like others have mentioned and unfortunately what sounds like an angry wasp under the bonnet. It's coming up to the 30 minutes running in the 2nd direction and hasn't quietened down, so sadly it looks like the first ever model I have had to return as I simply do not have the experience or expertise to correct the faults, especially as I don't know what is causing the sound, whether it's mis-meshed gears or whatever. 
I decided to buy based on the fact that I already have a Heljan class 07 and the differences are night and day. Had I paid £70, I may have accepted it, but £170, not a chance.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I’m used to Heljan being relatively expensive and special commissions having no dealer discount. Rumoured run of 150 of each version may help explain the cost but it is, in my opinion, underspecified for the cost; adb968008 hits the nail on the head with, “oh one last thing.. weve gone back to the 1990’s … no sprung buffers, in addition to no working headlights.” That is particularly disappointing as Heljan has managed to create minute lights clear of the body as no-one else, I think, has been able to match. The model has what I take to be searchlights fore and aft for illuminating the work area. It would even have helped if these had had a perspex inset rather than white paint but car headlights on other manufacturer’s model show what could have been done. On the other hand, it’s good to see that the model has provision for a decoder and speaker although it would have been helpful if Heljan had provided the dimensions of a speaker which would fit.* Heljan isn’t alone in this.

On my model, one of the girders at the bottom of the bufferbeam had broken off. These are too narrow to function as a step and too high to be an object deflector; my guess is they are just reinforcement but I’m happy to be corrected.

It’s on its way back to Kernow. The cab light works and responds to the wand but the loco doesn’t move at all – totally dead and not even a buzz.

* Edit. RTFI. Deep in the instructions, the dimensions of a suitable speaker are given. Sorry, Heljan.

Edited by No Decorum
To correct invalid criticism.
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

On my model, one of the girders at the bottom of the bufferbeam had broken off. These are too narrow to function as a step and too high to be an object deflector; my guess is they are just reinforcement but I’m happy to be corrected.

Neither, these are derail beams, fitted to stop the loco falling in the gauge in the event of a derailment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Having telephoned the Model Rail number to attempt to pick up a Model Rail listed Ruston from Kernow the gentleman told me they are only available by mail order, I was hoping to be able to test run before buying by picking up from the Kernow Models, Camborne shop, Kernow Models being the distributors for Model Rail exclusive offers. So being a Model Rail subscriber I’ve ordered one with the 10% discount available to Model Rail magazine subscribers bringing the cost down to a much more acceptable £152.10 with free postage from £174.99+postage for the Kernow Models weathered Rustons. Hopefully it will not need to be returned.

One thing I’ve noticed that Heljan seem to have left off the models is the 45 degree plate above each buffer on both the front and rear buffer beams, not sure what the purpose of these was but they seem to have been fitted throughout the lives of the locos.

9 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

One thing I’ve noticed that Heljan seem to have left off the models is the 45 degree plate above each buffer on both the front and rear buffer beams, not sure what the purpose of these was but they seem to have been fitted throughout the lives of the locos.

A parking-place for shunters' poles?

CJI.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, bubbles2 said:

Having telephoned the Model Rail number to attempt to pick up a Model Rail listed Ruston from Kernow the gentleman told me they are only available by mail order, I was hoping to be able to test run before buying by picking up from the Kernow Models, Camborne shop, Kernow Models being the distributors for Model Rail exclusive offers. So being a Model Rail subscriber I’ve ordered one with the 10% discount available to Model Rail magazine subscribers bringing the cost down to a much more acceptable £152.10 with free postage from £174.99+postage for the Kernow Models weathered Rustons. Hopefully it will not need to be returned.

Appreciate this is probably a smaller run but even at £150 these seem expensive compared to other current small diesel shunter models (Bachmann 03, Hornby Sentinal etc) . At any price the problems being reported here are disappointing but at north of £170 I wouldnt even consider one of these unfortunately. Sympathy extended to those who have been looking forward to this model. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2 arrived today 97652 in pristine yellow from Model Rail

And Weathered Blue PWM 654 from Kernow

Both are on the rolling road running at medium speed and straight out of the box are superb.

really pleased with them, was a bit worried about these when reading other posts with the problem others were having.

I suppose its luck of the draw when these are shipped out.

There is however a very very slight wobble on the blue one but seams to be getting better the more its run.

The Yellow one from Model Rail is definitely the better one of the 2.

They both however have the bodies raised from the running plate with the visible gap same as everyone else have reported.

Just thought I would mention on here that all mine have been fine so far, so if anyone is considering getting one there is a good chance that it will run fine.

Baz

Mine is on it's way back to Rails, they've confirmed that they have assigned a new one to me and that it will be checked over for defects before shipping. I cannot fault their service thus far, it's important to remember that the fault lies with the factory Heljan are using rather than the retailers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, NickBrad said:

Mine is on it's way back to Rails, they've confirmed that they have assigned a new one to me and that it will be checked over for defects before shipping.

Could be a long wait or do some exist that not only run well but have a correctly fitted body without the running plate distorting?

• Agree 1

I’m quite happy with mine - I think it looks great and it also runs fine - body is not an absolutely snug fit but it’s hardly noticeable owing to the dark colour. I’ll possibly look to improve it when I eventually fit a chip. 

6C22100B-17C5-4221-99BC-CC89535F0F04.jpeg.ab3e51220952d1e8fa0198d7b76c1e4f.jpegAA859616-1ABC-45A9-B0ED-15A2C2D8E653.jpeg.001a0fdcb525783578af7c98ecf38fcf.jpegD992AE1F-3EB3-48F6-9EA1-C40F31173C70.jpeg.6d7f18174d617e67281bb9aa472bea25.jpeg

2AF7A274-D244-41D9-9C06-0084060FB27B.jpeg

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 4

My BR blue Model Rail one arrived this morning, a loverly model all parts in place although the rear lamp irons are fixed in a rather droopy position, there is plenty of oil on the underside of the loco and the wrapping, sadly although running smoothly on Peco code 100, SMP code 75 and my handmade code 75 point work it has a pronounced wobble when on the move. So I suppose it will have to go back for a replacement, this may be acceptable for a £30 train set toy but certainly not acceptable for a locomotive costing over £150.

Edited by bubbles2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4