Grounded Vans

• RMweb Premium

It has been a while since I added any photos to this thread but I have discovered some more on my hard drive.

A couple of vans found round and about The Tanhill Inn in the winter of 2011.

attachicon.gifTanhill028.jpg

attachicon.gifTanhill027.jpg

Standard BR 12-tonner, near Emley, West Yorks. circa 2010.

attachicon.gifvan050.jpg

This coach is seen here in a field near Burton Salmon, which I'm sure used to be a cricket field and the coach the pavilion when I first saw it in the 1980s. I took this photo in 2009, so it may not even exist now.

attachicon.gifburtoncoach.jpg

I think, but can't be sure that the coach at Burton Salmon has been rescued for use in the project to re create a North Eastern railcar and trailer.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

This one is a rarity. It is a War Department brake van, based on an LSWR design. Found in May 2009 on an allotment in Horbury, West Yorkshire.

attachicon.gif15309001.jpg

attachicon.gif15309002.jpg

The best known user of these vans was the Metropolitan Railway. After WW1 many of these vans were surplus and were snapped up by many minor railways. If it still exists it might well be worth saving.

• RMweb Premium

The best known user of these vans was the Metropolitan Railway. After WW1 many of these vans were surplus and were snapped up by many minor railways. If it still exists it might well be worth saving.

Its on the vintage carriages trust website as Unknown (body only) brake van. The VCT pic was taken in 2012 and shows signs of some refurbishment and repair. http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=13348

• 4 weeks later...

Found this is a field near Wakefield. Looks like it was used as a barrier. Am I right in saying this is a insulated van? attachicon.gifDSC_0051.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_0051.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_0053.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_0052.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_0054.JPG

Without end vents ( note the blank space ) it's for perishables of some sort - probably bananas as a meat van would be either ventilated or refrigerated ( the latter would probably retain evidence of 'ice' boxes.

Without end vents ( note the blank space ) it's for perishables of some sort - probably bananas as a meat van would be either ventilated or refrigerated ( the latter would probably retain evidence of 'ice' boxes.

BR 1/246 banana van.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

Agreed; the give-away is the third set of hinges, halfway-up the doors.

And the full plywood sheeting, and the particular type of pressing on the ends. All unique to the type.

Adam

In March 1979 there was a grounded ex Southern planked van body on the quayside at the old Naval Base at Lyness

(Scapa Flow)in Orkney.It must have been the furthest grounded body from its railway of origin!

The Area was cleaned up when a roll on roll off Ferry Terminal was created and by 1999 it was gone

In March 1979 there was a grounded ex Southern planked van body on the quayside at the old Naval Base at Lyness

(Scapa Flow)in Orkney.It must have been the furthest grounded body from its railway of origin!

The Area was cleaned up when a roll on roll off Ferry Terminal was created and by 1999 it was gone

Presumably an ex BR van that arrived by some roundabout route after condemnation at Inverurie  -  but POSSIBLY one the Army had at one time.

Presumably an ex BR van that arrived by some roundabout route after condemnation at Inverurie  -  but POSSIBLY one the Army had at one time.

It was definitely an ex BR one because it had the S xxxxx number on it .Somewhere I've got a slide of it!

• 1 month later...

Sort of grounded! Two vans forming the main body of what I guess to be a vehicle workshop just off Church Street in the centre of Ashbourne. Mrs. B was busy looking at the fine selections of gin in the new emporium on the corner of the yard when these caught my eye!

The other one is enclosed within the bulkof the structure and roof but you can see the buffer mounts and drawgear points.

Regards

Guy

post-8764-0-65414500-1537297974_thumb.jpg

post-8764-0-65414500-1537297974_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I think it just moved, as I took this shot of possibly the same van, in July 2006.

post-7146-0-84553500-1537311627_thumb.jpg

It was still there in may 2010, although looking  a bit rougher around the edges.

post-7146-0-71642400-1537311774_thumb.jpg

Not far from the van body was this beauty, a little worse for wear in 2006. Now identified as a 37-seat Plaxton-bodied Bedford, CEK935, new in May 1956 to Smith of Wigan, thanks to keefers post 375, further along the thread.

post-7146-0-39475300-1537312095_thumb.jpg

But it had deteriorated quite a lot, when I saw it again in 2010. But I did take more pics of it.

post-7146-0-99196600-1537312170_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-65021200-1537312192_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-12524000-1537312207_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-46830100-1537312221_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-96213800-1537312233_thumb.jpg

I doubt either of them have survived to the present day.

Paul J.

Edited to add bus identity, thanks to keefer.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 8

............ and still home to quite a few grounded coaches too - though they're Off Topic here, of course ........

.......Not far from the van body was this beauty, a little worse for wear in 2006........Paul J.

Did someone mention coaches?

post-17823-0-00266700-1537344696.gif

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 2

Sort of grounded! Two vans forming the main body of what I guess to be a vehicle workshop just off Church Street in the centre of Ashbourne. Mrs. B was busy looking at the fine selections of gin in the new emporium on the corner of the yard when these caught my eye!

The other one is enclosed within the bulkof the structure and roof but you can see the buffer mounts and drawgear points.

I posted some pics of these some time ago, it may have even been on a previous incarnation of RMWeb. I think the general concensus was that they were of Caledonian Railway origin.

• Like 2

I posted some pics of these some time ago, it may have even been on a previous incarnation of RMWeb. I think the general concensus was that they were of Caledonian Railway origin.

...... or possibly LSWR ( many of who's vans wandered with the military ) certainly not any railway native to the Ashbourne area.