Grounded Vans

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of days ago me and Mrs Rivercider had an enjoyable walk from Sandford to Cheddar along the route of the Strawberry Line.

Just south of Sandford and Banwell station the route is crossed by a public footpath and in the adjacent field is an old van body.  

I could see no identifying marks, the plywood panelling is partly loose or missing.

It looks like a Southern design of van to me.

post-7081-0-75962200-1429875688.jpg

View of the end 22/4/2015

post-7081-0-38945400-1429875697.jpg

Side view 22/4/2015

post-7081-0-62081300-1429875704.jpg

View through the van of the inside of the ventilators, 22/4/2015

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Hope you will enjoy this sentimental look at local vans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsGa-vi55j0

Try as I might I can't get the video to show up properly here.

As there is no image, to give an idea what the video is about here is the text:

Initially one might think this was a fairly uninspiring subject but the more I looked at this the more interesting it became.

For many years I have driven past various local fields and seen box vans grounded and being used as stores, stables or in the case of Funtington near Chichester pig sties! 

(However since making this film all of them had been removed when there had been ten or more in the recent past)

I have always liked them as models so initially decided to make a short film based on my Heljan class 28 Co-Bo and the famous Condor freight service it used to work.

But then I decided I’d like to preserve on film the actual box vans. Glad I did as another farmer is in the process of getting rid of his, so while they have done really well to survive since the 60s when they were sold out of use to farmers and others, their time now is extremely limited indeed.

So in this film I combine in a somewhat sentimental way my models busily hauling box vans around and the grounded vans I found here in West Sussex UK.

I felt quite sad making the film, imagining how these vans were once the focus of much attention as they trundled about the country stacked high with all manner of goods, and now found themselves gradually rotting away with nature claiming them back.

• RMweb Premium

Taken when I was on my break on Monday morning, this old BR Mk 1 CCT van has been lurking at the back of Three Bridges Station for decades:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmupton2000/17782108446/in/dateposted-public/

think it is grounded as I cannot see how there could have been track the other side of the old goods dock.

Anyone able to say how long it has been there (I remember it being there in the 1980's so it predates that) and what it was originally?  The south end not visible in the photo looks to have been painted a light colour, possibly yellow at some point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned this one before - here is a Google Maps screenshot which, I hope, shows the grounded van body in Leckhampton Lane in Gloucestershire:

post-8285-0-07812700-1433611792.jpg

As the bauxite colour suggests, it seems to be a BR 12 ton design (I believe it has corrugated ends).

• Like 1

I mentioned this one before - here is a Google Maps screenshot which, I hope, shows the grounded van body in Leckhampton Lane in Gloucestershire:

attachicon.gifLeckhampton Lane.jpg

As the bauxite colour suggests, it seems to be a BR 12 ton design (I believe it has corrugated ends).

Looks more like hedge green with leafy doors to me....

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Noticed this one in Kirkcaldy today - quite by accident, as it is at a stables with a wooden fence all round. have walked past it many times, just happened to notice it through the gap in the slats.

I think it was the remains of the 'XP' that caught my eye

post-1060-0-63895800-1443976269_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I found this one just around the corner from my new house in Bishop Auckland - a little research in Tatlow reveals it as a former NBR Diagram 39B 

15887041208_a023308ea3_b.jpg

It's on the site of a new housing development so I suspect that it won't be there for too much longer and that it would disintegrate if moved sadly .

Sadly this one as predicted is no more,  the site was cleared a couple of weeks ago.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think this one has featured before.  On the side of the Buttertubs pass between Hawes and Muker (Swaledale is in the background).  There is also another one lower down the hill, but I didn't get a picture.

post-13511-0-16256000-1444080528_thumb.jpg

Adrian

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I'm assuming that with the prevalence of shipping containers the market for grounded van bodies has disappeared?

Although perhaps a railway company, or whomever owns the stock these days, might decide it would be cheaper to ground one of their own end-of-life stock than buy/hire a container for the task.

Any candidates for the newest grounded van body?

• Like 1

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I'm assuming that with the prevalence of shipping containers the market for grounded van bodies has disappeared?

Although perhaps a railway company, or whomever owns the stock these days, might decide it would be cheaper to ground one of their own end-of-life stock than buy/hire a container for the task.

Any candidates for the newest grounded van body?

I have seen some of the air-braked vans, grounded and used as stores, but only on railway premises.I doubt if there's any left available for general trade. Also, a lot of the air-braked vans were converted into timber carriers or ballast wagons; as a grounded body needs the solebars and headstocks to hold it together, the remains of such wagons wouldn't be fit for anything afterwards. Even if they were available, they're probably too big for a lot of the traditional users, being almost twice as long.

The general market has long since gone over to former shipping containers, available in large numbers, as it's often more economic to flog them off here than to send them back empty to the Far East

.. a grounded body needs the solebars and headstocks to hold it together ..

Really ?

As someone always on the lookout for wagon solebar numberplates, I have to say that the number of grounded bodies that I have come across that had solebars and headstocks is disappearingly small.

Regards,

John isherwood.

I don't think these have featured before but I often go past these (or 'this' - is it two or is it one van cut in two?!) up on the Mendip hills near Priddy Pools:

post-7266-0-38203800-1446508358_thumb.jpg

And I have often wondered if these are railway related, on Moor Road just outside Yatton, North Somerset, but have never got close enough to them to see what they are/were:

post-7266-0-75185800-1446508372_thumb.jpg

Images from Street View.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...