Grounded Vans

Found this one in the middle of Thirsk some time ago and Adrian Walby has kindly photographed it.  It looks to me like a 6 wheeler and is still lettered 'York District' from what must have been departmental service.

IMG_0098_zps0685ed75.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Quite recently I passed through Leckhampton Lane (in the Cheltenham area) and noticed what seemed to be a grounded van body, tucked behind one of the large hedges next to the road. I didn't get a good luck (I was in a car at the time), but I'd guess it was a BR design with end vents and a new roof made from corrugated metal.

I realise this isn't very interesting due to the lack of a good picture or, indeed, any proof of its existence. But still!...

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know whether I have posted these already but in 1977 I saw this superb clerestory coach near Holme Moor station on the former Driffield - Selby line

17365095.f2ffc385.1024.jpg
and in 1978 I saw this body over the road from the former Brampton Town station which was closed by the LNER in 1923

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

One of the reasons I find the dereliction of many grounded bodies so sad is that the railways of Britain were largely developed to move freight, yet the preservation movement seems to almost totally ignore this aspect of transport heritage, along with the pre-grouping wooden carriages. There are a number of honourable exceptions. (Knotty Coach Trust, Isle of Wight are a couple that spring to mind) At least some places have the stock "officially" awaiting restoration" and once gone, it is gone. Although if drawings are available, a replica is always possible.

Yet from the point of view of someone who rebuilds these things (at 12" to the foot) goods stock is easier and cheaper to rebuild than coaches, although their potential for use afterwards is rather limited, I agree.

• Agree 1

I found this one just around the corner from my new house in Bishop Auckland - a little research in Tatlow reveals it as a former NBR Diagram 39B 

15887041208_a023308ea3_b.jpg

It's on the site of a new housing development so I suspect that it won't be there for too much longer and that it would disintegrate if moved sadly .

• Like 3

Two vans I spotted at Haymarket in 1981:

attachicon.gif812017 - Haymarket 25 Sep 1981.jpg

attachicon.gif812018 - Haymarket 25 Sep 1981.jpg

I would say they appear to be LNER types but I note that one has sliding doors and the other has hinged ones.

I wonder if the one with hinged doors is a Banana or Fish Van? Flush-fitting hinged doors weren't that common on ordinary vans.

Rob

The NBR van at Coundon (near bishop Auckland) is/was 724351...and under that daub of grey paint is a faded LNER engineers blue livery and beneath that post 1937 LNER bauxite...its a favourite of Porcy Maine...who might just have a photo of it in better days...

Cheers

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I've not been through the whole thread, has anyone mentioned a couple on the Old Coach Road (not that far from Keswick, parallel to the A66 but high up the fellside)? If not I'll try to get some pictures some day.

• 4 weeks later...

Rob

The NBR van at Coundon (near bishop Auckland) is/was 724351...and under that daub of grey paint is a faded LNER engineers blue livery and beneath that post 1937 LNER bauxite...its a favourite of Porcy Maine...who might just have a photo of it in better days...

Cheers

Duncan

That's brilliant Cheers Duncan, and it's still hanging in there

• Like 1

theres a southern van body somewhere in the Bretton/Woolley area near wakefield, once caught a glimpse of it while driving by but cant remember where exactly. but im sure it was SR because of the roof curve

Edited by sir douglas

I found this one just around the corner from my new house in Bishop Auckland - a little research in Tatlow reveals it as a former NBR Diagram 39B 

Rob

Just found this post.  Thanks for the heads up Duncan. :threaten: Took the attached in 2003. Photted it a good few years earlier but those pix will be amongst the 15,000 digi images I haven't got round to key wording yet or might still be on film awaiting scanning.

Not much different to the recent photo. Give me a BR Standard 12 ton Box van any day. :)

post-508-0-31559400-1421892338.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

Found this one in the middle of Thirsk some time ago and Adrian Walby has kindly photographed it.  It looks to me like a 6 wheeler and is still lettered 'York District' from what must have been departmental service.

Still going strong. North Eastern Railway Roadvan that became DE 900172.

Probably to be inspected shortly by a good few members of the EMGS as their AGM is going to be a only couple of hundred yards further up the road.

Apparently someone in the RCTS has written chapter & verse on the history of the van after being made aware of it last year.

post-508-0-60746000-1421894578.jpg

P

• Like 8