Grounded Vans

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

On saturday from the top deck of a bus when passing through Lympsham I glimpsed a grounded van body in a farm yard.

Moments later I saw what looked like a van body, but with timber planking painted and in good order and a new chimney through the roof,

if I did not know better it looked like a new build, does anyone manufacture a 'shepherds' hut in the style of a van body?

edit - I think it is here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2860152,-2.9609199,3a,75y,182.9h,81.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syDDbtu9OMWSfY-lmbWlA5A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Here is a closer view, taken when I passed by yesterday

attachicon.gifIMG_6171 a.jpg

Lympsham  20/6/2017

cheers

Nice to see one getting some TLC and being useful instead of just rotting away.

• RMweb Gold

I recently heard a story from someone, who I would regard as reliable and usually well-informed, that someone had come across what appeared to be a railway horse box in a farm in South Wales. Having taken a tape measure back to it he realised that it was broad gauge. When he spoke to the farmer he said 'Oh there's several more old railway wagons like that around the place', but they were in much poorer condition. The well made roof of the horse box seemed to have preserved that a bit better. Has anyone else heard that story?

I recently heard a story from someone, who I would regard as reliable and usually well-informed, that someone had come across what appeared to be a railway horse box in a farm in South Wales. Having taken a tape measure back to it he realised that it was broad gauge. When he spoke to the farmer he said 'Oh there's several more old railway wagons like that around the place', but they were in much poorer condition. The well made roof of the horse box seemed to have preserved that a bit better. Has anyone else heard that story?

Well, I do know of a horsebox body in reasonably decent condition in mid-Wales - but that is of LMS origin.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Well, I do know of a horsebox body in reasonably decent condition in mid-Wales - but that is of LMS origin.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Theres nothing on the Vintage Carriages Trust site.

Theres nothing on the Vintage Carriages Trust site.

The LMS horsebox is / was very remote, and I've not been in a position to check that it's still there for about ten years.

post-2274-0-20324800-1505895246_thumb.jpg

Typing Bronant into Google Earth (UK) will bring up the area in question.

I saw the horsebox during a walk, from north to south, along the north / south road indicated on the attached plan.

The body was on my left side - ie. the east side of the road.

My recollection is that it was in a field, immediately behind a fairly substantial hedge / row of trees, and near some sharp bends in the road - quite possibly near the centre of the red rectangle.

I will not have the opportunity to revisit the area, but if anyone is sufficiently interested it should be detectable - assuming that it's not been removed / demolished.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hope of interest

That reminds me very much of a place in Norfolk, where there are maybe a dozen van bodies in a field full of pigs. I passed it a few times when down that way for work but never had the time to stop and take any photos.

• Like 2

That reminds me very much of a place in Norfolk, where there are maybe a dozen van bodies in a field full of pigs. I passed it a few times when down that way for work but never had the time to stop and take any photos.

Just east of Thetford by any chance?  If so, they're still there and occupied.

Edited by Osgood

post-730-0-79740200-1509121504_thumb.jpg

A Mink A (I think) seen today at a farm on the edge of Eversholt, a village near the M1 motorway, close to the borders of Bucks and Beds.

The direction and low angle of the sun doesnt help make it apparent that, considering its age, it is in surprisingly good condition.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

OK - I know this isn't a grounded van, and I can't find a 'grounded carriage' thread, but this may be of interest to followers of this topic.

This grounded body is just one of many dwellings at Dungeness in Kent made from old railway carriages. Most have been 'extended' but can still be identified by the curve of the original roof structure. This one - opposite the Britannia pub - is still very recognisable. I think its proximity to the road has preserved this aspect. 

post-10377-0-27744600-1531039904_thumb.jpg

Because of the areas status as an SSSI nothing can be added or taken away, hence the survival of these structures as fisherman's homes. However with Dungeness becoming increasingly popular with tourists, many of these old houses are now second homes or holiday lets.  

Les

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

OK - I know this isn't a grounded van, and I can't find a 'grounded carriage' thread, but this may be of interest to followers of this topic.

This grounded body is just one of many dwellings at Dungeness in Kent made from old railway carriages. Most have been 'extended' but can still be identified by the curve of the original roof structure. This one - opposite the Britannia pub - is still very recognisable. I think its proximity to the road has preserved this aspect. 

attachicon.gifCoach web.jpg

Because of the areas status as an SSSI nothing can be added or taken away, hence the survival of these structures as fisherman's homes. However with Dungeness becoming increasingly popular with tourists, many of these old houses are now second homes or holiday lets.  

Les

If you know the OS grid reference you should be able to identify it on the Vintage Carriages Trust website, they maintain a database of most such structures.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifCoach web.jpg

Les

Judging by the deep arc of the roof, possibly a bogie scenery / elephant / aeroplane van originally?

Judging by the length, possibly two?

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick search of the VCT database turned this up.

One of 20-30 vehicles at Dungeness Beach. Vehicles given to railway workers for accommodation after Dungeness line closed. Locals state this vehicle was 'Queen Victoria's Pullman'. Another vehicle at the beach also reported as being 'Pullman'

post-6824-0-52993800-1531113480.jpg

I think it's the same vehicle.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

It has been a while since I added any photos to this thread but I have discovered some more on my hard drive.

A couple of vans found round and about The Tanhill Inn in the winter of 2011.

post-494-0-70130300-1531167446.jpg

post-494-0-85385900-1531167539.jpg

Standard BR 12-tonner, near Emley, West Yorks. circa 2010.

post-494-0-32826200-1531167649.jpg

This coach is seen here in a field near Burton Salmon, which I'm sure used to be a cricket field and the coach the pavilion when I first saw it in the 1980s. I took this photo in 2009, so it may not even exist now.

post-494-0-81337200-1531167830.jpg

• Like 4