Grounded Vans

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I mentioned the van on the BCR site in Bishops Castle a while ago. It is now in a very good state and being used as a second hand bookshop.

There is another van which I spotted from the bus in Montgomery, behind one of the cottages on Station Road - ironically almost exactly where the station would have been if that bit of the Bishops Castle Railway had ever been built. Unfortunately there is too much summer foliage on Google Streetview for it to be visible.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't checked the previous 20 pages so apologies if this has been mentioned before. I saw this at the site of Lowesby station in Leicestershire today.

van1.jpg.131a5ab907616dc279b93d1c574b9b86.jpg

Incidentally, the station itself is in very good condition.

station1.jpg.0b42ffa64860d0136870f4d73bbae1d4.jpg

Graham

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I saw what looked like the end of a grounded van, or possibly coach body in a garden near our house, over the years the hedges have grown up and all but obscured it from the road. Yesterday the owner was cutting said hedge so I took the opportunity to ask whether it was a railway van body. Answer no, but perhaps interesting in its own right, he had been told when moving in (by neighbours) that it was a Pickfords horse drawn van (pantechnicon I suppose). Apparently rather decayed but still has wheels, parts much covered in roofing felt. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Artless Bodger said:

Years ago I saw what looked like the end of a grounded van, or possibly coach body in a garden near our house, over the years the hedges have grown up and all but obscured it from the road. Yesterday the owner was cutting said hedge so I took the opportunity to ask whether it was a railway van body. Answer no, but perhaps interesting in its own right, he had been told when moving in (by neighbours) that it was a Pickfords horse drawn van (pantechnicon I suppose). Apparently rather decayed but still has wheels, parts much covered in roofing felt. 

I hope its restorable, there can't be many such vehicles in existence.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Binky said:

A re-roofed VEA spotted at Dungeness on the South coast.

VEA.jpg

If you drive around the Dungeness area, you'll find a lot of former railway vehicles incorporated into larger structures.

BTW, I don't think the Vanwide in the photo was rebuilt into a VEA; the 'B'-prefixed number is still visible on the LH door.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 23/06/2022 at 21:29, Fat Controller said:

If you drive around the Dungeness area, you'll find a lot of former railway vehicles incorporated into larger structures.

BTW, I don't think the Vanwide in the photo was rebuilt into a VEA; the 'B'-prefixed number is still visible on the LH door.

Well spotted!

Yes I believe the practice of turning coaches into bungalows was quite popular on the South coast. I stayed in a property like this near Selsey many years ago. There's an interesting article here: https://www.shorehambysea.com/last-bungalow-town-railway-carriages/

Edited by Binky
spelling
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, darrel said:

Is this the furthest away from a railway and the furthest north for a pair of grounded vans? Next to the road to Uig, Isle of Lewis 

20220728_140727.jpg

20220728_141308.jpg

20220728_141553.jpg

There's an ex BR van body used as a store in Malta.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 8 months later...