Grounded Vans

A bump, with a find near Longford, Derbyshire.

Visible from the road, taken at max. Zoom on my 4 maga pixel point & shoot camera.

Identification of this van??

post-136-091255200 1286738242_thumb.jpg

post-136-029605700 1286738286_thumb.jpg

I can't explain the peculiar appearance of the corrugated shed beyond the gate, perhaps a double exposure??

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

I think its good to see the vans being used as houses for pigs......certainly plenty of room for a spot of porcine relaxation.

Quite a few have sheeps in them too, the chops and the bacon next to each other, mmmm

In the words of harry hill "will you the pork, or will you the lamb?"

In the early 1950's my Gran use to put on the Sunday table a joint which apparently was lamb at one end pork the other (or perhaps beef) - well what she actually said was "pork or Lamb?" and would slice off the said choice from one or other end of the joint.

This of course maybe why I'm not renowned for knowing my meats,

but the positive side is at least as children we were asked what we would like.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

as a slight aside, back in the 1980s c.c.crumps who of course made railway wagons diversified into making something called "the big pig" which were massive steel stalls for pig farming programs, not sure how many were made but i do remember going there and looking out onto the workshop to see these massive blue structures being finished off, i'd have only been about 8 or 9 years old at the time

Yes, the vans have been on the farm for many years, even since the 1980's as far as I can remember. The farm location is quite close to the old Thetford Bridge station, less than a mile I believe, so I 'suppose' it was quite possible that someone purchased a job lot without too much transporting? Around here, it seems like you don't have to go too far before you see an odd van body or two in fields, suppose they had to do something with all those being scrapped.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by Tim Horn

Dusty (Derek) Miller scrapped possibly hundreds of Vanfits on King's Lynn docks. Nearly all the van bodies were sold off as sheds etc. He used to deliver van bodies with, i am led to believe, a skip lorry to the purchaser.

Watched them scrap hundreds at Hoo Junction by first burning them out - what a crying shame - anyone familiar with these vans will understand - the internal planking was of a very high quality - these van bodies will last for yonks

The late Keith Wright and myself used to pass the Thetford vans regularly en route to and from the MNR. Keith also swore blind a farm nearby had grounded/plinthed TTA barrels. We never checked!

C6T.

There's a farm just up the road from me with a TTA tank plinthed at the side of a field:

http://www.flickr.co...jct/5815758218/

Kevin

• 1 month later...

We had a thread for this on a previous version of the forum and since then I have more photos so here's a new one.

Please add your own photos, even if they were posted in the old thread. Vans, coaches, containers (not modern shipping containers!) and tanks are eligible.

If you're able to add more information as to the company of origin, diagram etc. to photos that are posted then all the better. :)

An ex-LNER van of some description at the side of the A153, Billinghay, Lincs.

post-494-0-86264700-1323286651.jpg

Ex-BR 12t vent van, Southowram, near Halifax, West Yorks.

post-494-0-96720500-1323286846.jpg

BD type container B485198B (Wolverton, 1957) at same location.

post-494-0-74256500-1323286925.jpg

I found this one at the rear of a derelict cottage in Flockton, West Yorks. I have no idea of the origin but it looked to be very old, possibly pre-grouping? Sadly the cottage and van body were bulldozed a couple of months ago. Any ideas about the origin or type?

post-494-0-84919700-1323287606_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have a few that I've seen on my various travels up on my Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pyewipe-jct/sets/72157626791055887/

They should all have captions with location & whatever other info I've been able to dig out for each one, but if anyone has any more details to add, please feel free.

Kevin