Grounded Vans

I'm not sure where this first one was taken - I suspect Mangapps

post-336-0-53752200-1341817447.jpg

This pair are on the Gwilli Railway

post-336-0-55504500-1341817450.jpg

And then two photo's showing a yard next to the KWVR that has all manner of interesting things in it

post-336-0-55216700-1341817452.jpg

post-336-0-35052700-1341817457.jpg

• Like 1

Part one of the Great Centrals collection of grounded vans and containers - there are several visits represented, so duplications are possible.

Jon

post-336-0-35258000-1341764214.jpg

Nice example of the Fibreglass AFP, originally Birds Eye livery - although the one I saw was repainted for MacFisheries http://PaulBartlett....tbafp/e1bb29b92  The appearance of the conserved one does look like Fibreglass was successful - it appears to be in remarkably good condition compared to wood or plywood containers of similar age.

Paul Bartlett

• Informative/Useful 1

Jon - interesting to see a Speedlink VEA amongst that lot... just east of Whitacre Junction there are five more just like it at the edge of an adjoining field on the north side of the line to Nuneaton, alas they're in a difficult spot to get a decent photograph.

It's probably been said many times before but isn't it sad to seen the state of some of these 'preserved' vehicles. At best they can only provide pattern for replicas if anyone has the time or rescources to bother.

Those Sellinge coaches are a real shame, so few of the earlier wooden deigns have survived. Likewise the store pictured above, anyone ID these? Are they rare enough to warrant repair?

Likewise the store pictured above, anyone ID these? Are they rare enough to warrant repair?

The pair at Swanage are both LSWR, and there is a third (I believe) on the railway, they are mentioned in passing in the Swanage heritage coach plan, but do not really form part of it (there does not seem to be a plan to put them on a chassis - this is mearly mentioned as a possibility). The upper of the pair (at Harmans Cross) is clearly seeing local attention, but I don't know if it has any official sanction, the lower (at Norden) was on the bank at Swanage but has moved (several times? ) which can't really do the joints any good.

Jon

• Like 1

They should be restored, look at the IOWSR rake of wooden bodied coaches and the ones on the bluebell. The area of rolling stock is tricky for preserved lines and I know non corridor coaches pose problems for guards, but really they are far more historic than another BR mark 1 and should be getting priority. What about the ones at Rutland? They look older to me, probably now beyond economic repair?

• Agree 1