The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

UFOs - Is anybody out there?

Ohmisterporter

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Siriusly?

'fraid so, that's what happens when lots of people start believing such things. Can(th)is Major(ity) of people keep believing in UFOs, or just the more dogged ones?

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Don't worry, I'll make sure you're aware when someone complains when you do it again. I'm not getting sucked into responding in detail to your points.

The problem with being a forum Mod is you have to deal will all the idiotic posts, spam, etc often without the general membership even knowing it has happened.

You also have to deal sympathetically  with those members with special needs that most other folk haven’t recognised.

You then find the tree huggers join in to protect the snowflakes as well as the serial stirrers adding their mud to the puddle. 

This leads to frustration and occasionally there is the urge for a Mod to bite back. Been there, done that and got criticised for it, not that it has changed my attitude to these grumblers.

I just wish there was a sin bin where Mods could send certain folk for a week or so to consider what it is like to walk in Mod’s shoe for  week.

Keep up the good work Andy.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It can be worse than that.

"Police in Wales were called to investigate a mysterious flying saucer, only to discover it was the moon"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2248463/Moon-mistaken-for-UFO.html

Jason

When people can mistake a male Maine C00n cat for a lion in broad daylight (and the police took it seriously), nothing like that surprises me!

Edited by eastglosmog
PC dept does not recognise an old and repected breed of mouse slayer

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

No - NOW !!!!

Red Alert Red Alert ---------------------

Wonderful series.

Brit15

Any TV series which brings Anouska Hempel in a string vest into your living room cannot be a bad thing ;)

Back in the Summer holidays in 1977 my mate Dean and I were convinced we'd seen a UFO of some sort in the distance beyond the end of our road just as the sun was going down, what we thought was a fiery orange cigar shaped 'craft' turned out to be the sun's reflection on the clouds - it was one hell of a sunset!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I spent a large chunk of my career working in space science and a fair part of that looking through telescopes and into the night sky. I did see a couple of weird things: one turned out to be a maritime flare (which was duly reported, and I was able to give the coast guard accurate coordinates!) and the second  was a sighting of a gas venting event from the space shuttle as it passed over Scotland. I never saw anything that could be regarded as a UFO ... but, I have spoken to people who have seen inexplicable things, people I would regard as otherwise perfectly sane, functioning members of society, so I think it is worthwhile keeping a very slightly open mind.

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2

On 04/11/2019 at 20:05, Ramblin Rich said:

Definitely with the Pythons on this one:

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,

'Cause there's bu**er all down here on Earth!"

In similar vein; "The surest sign of Intelligent Life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact Planet Earth."

I think that one was in a Calvin & Hobbes cartoon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_and_Hobbes

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

Sounds like something off Reservoir Dogs.  :triniti:

Mr Pink: Why can't we pick our own colors?

Joe: No way, no way. Tried it once, it doesn't work. You get four guys all fighting over who's gonna be Mr. Black, but they don't know each other, so nobody wants to back down. No way. I pick. You're Mr. Pink. Be thankful you're not Mr. Yellow.

Jason

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I spent a large chunk of my career working in space science and a fair part of that looking through telescopes and into the night sky. I did see a couple of weird things: one turned out to be a maritime flare (which was duly reported, and I was able to give the coast guard accurate coordinates!) and the second  was a sighting of a gas venting event from the space shuttle as it passed over Scotland. I never saw anything that could be regarded as a UFO ... but, I have spoken to people who have seen inexplicable things, people I would regard as otherwise perfectly sane, functioning members of society, so I think it is worthwhile keeping a very slightly open mind.

Gas venting? Flushing more likely!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Definitely keep an open mind.

A UFO doesn't mean from outer space it just means you cannot explain it - there are plenty of event's people witness they cannot explain - the one in the forest with the US army / airforce is one though it appears to have been admitted as an SAS prank more recently or is that just more misinformation itself.

There are things we know about, things we don't know about and don't understand and things people don't want us to know about or understand.  This sounds like something Donald Rumsfeld would say!!

• Like 1

Once read a plauable theory that they were not aliens but that in the future humans will invent the capability to time travel back in history, but they will not be permitted to interact with the population of that time as it would cause the inevitable paradox.

This would explain the large number of sightings in the 50s and 60s, as wealthy railway enthusiasts travel back to witness the last days of steam and lovely green diesels:D

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

A great thread.

I too am convinced that , in a universe so large [or possibly infinite?], there's almost certainly life on other planets. Given our experience on our planet that life lead to relative intelligence in a little over 4 billion years, it's almost certain it has/is/will take place elsewhere. Equally, if there is 'somebody' out there, the chances of their civilisation and ours co-existing is minute. We then are limited in potential contact by the huge distances and seeming 'universal speed limit of the speed of light.

Alternatively, there are loads of visitors, who instead of talking to university professors, or governments, like to kidnap ignorant farmers in Middle America and abuse them.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

Eeer! Has anyone seen my camel?!

I've got an atom bomb in 'ere!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWEZaDr85tQ

:jester:

That's the problem when anyone mentions UFOs or any other mysteries. You get the "nutter on the bus" and conspiracy theory types. But now they are all over the place rather than just on the bus. Which often makes debate impossible.

There was a theory* that a lot of "abductions" happened in the mid west USA because the government were looking into the effects of the atom bomb tests. Kidnap a few drunken locals and probe them, kill a few cows and blame it on aliens. How much of that is true or total nonsense is debateable. The Yanks have after all tried some really strange military ideas that we do know about such as using bats and dolphins as weapons and trying to make goats faint by staring at them.

*I think that was also a plot line in the X Files and South Park

Jason

I think the reason we have never and will never see ‘aliens’ is because of the time difference twixt each civilisation reaching the point where they can travel to another like world. By the  time they (or we) got here (or there) the other race was either not evolved yet or had died out.

The law of percentages says there must be sentient lifeforms on other worlds but to get some of them at a level of coincident evolvement where they they can reach each other is just not statistically  coordinate-able.

I do believe they are out there but just a tad out of synch time wise with us.

• Agree 6