Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure that there's many of us waiting for our own favourite variants to be announced - early '90s InterCity Mainline (not the more recent repaint) and Dutch for me! 

Patience is a virtue (so I'm told...)

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Can someone point me to the post where Accurascale asked for what models everyone would like to see next?

We all want different things and I totally trust Accurascale to produce the right product to ensure a successful business.  I want them to succeed way more than I want them to produce a particular 37 just because I or someone else asked them to  ;)

5 minutes ago, 55020 said:

Can someone point me to the post where Accurascale asked for what models everyone would like to see next?

We all want different things and I totally trust Accurascale to produce the right product to ensure a successful business.  I want them to succeed way more than I want them to produce a particular 37 just because I or someone else asked them to  ;)

I don't think they did but this is RMweb and many folk tend to slip in their wishes.

Mine is for a "Welsh" GSYP centre headcode or two.  i am a patient man and I know Accurascale will oblige, just like they will do several GSYP Brish type twos  

I am confident 

• Like 3

On 03/03/2022 at 14:32, Accurascale Fran said:

They were natural metal finish when new but changed to red in the 1970s. Our green locos will thus be natural metal and everything else will be red.

Dateline 4th May 1968.  :smile_mini:

41994143571_c79d4496d9_b.jpgsyks - d6741 stabled doncaster 04-5-1968 JL by John Law, on Flickr

I was told (oral tradition only) that Vulcan Foundry type 37's left the works with the interior cowling  painted white along with the fan blades which were variable pitch, and and the top mesh was unpainted bright galv.  (Silver) I've found no other evidence   (Phots) to support this as yet. I suppose this would have soon turned to cruddy black with all the air pollution about in the early 1960's. 

I've never found out what colour Darlington build fans left the works despite asking people that should know.

22073225519_849c1b0c12_b.jpg37xxx [A3800005] by Jamerail, on Flickr

6911325658_26b3e21d07_b.jpg37074 Bescot by Kempydak, on Flickr

5909122814_7e55fa42ab_b.jpg37 059 by Adrian Cains, on Flickr

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 55020 said:

If people had to ask a question for somebody to reply with what they thought, this would be a quiet place!

Just because people comment it doesn't mean Accurascale need to make them either!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

To quote Accurascale from the Class 31 thread, when asked which ones they are going to bring out, the answer was ‘All of them’.

I shall cherrypick the ones I like out of each run.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

The class 37 version that I would like to see from Accurascle  is the plain BR blue, centre headcode, and roof mounted horns with TOPS numbers. This was the livery that most of the centre headcode locos carried for virtually all of the 1970's and 1980's (Scottish machines excepted), until the sector liveries came along of course. I am guessing that the Accurascale people have this one in mind for a second release?

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, BR(S) said:

I might have overlooked something obvious, but are there any photos of the Accurascale 37s with liveries, other than the snippets above?

Hi BR(S)

Not as of yet as we’ve not had time between shows. Once Ally Pally is out of the way they will be off for their beauty shots and we’ll publish then.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, McC said:

This one did make me rather weak at the knees I must admit

Awesome. Literally the only reason I aren't getting that particular one is that it's not done anything for years (2018 last time it was out?) so is out of era for me. Don't worry, it hasn't meant I have bought less of them 😄

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

On the yellow one, I'm assuming that's not the final handrail positioning or was it changed when they were rebuilt?

Can't see if it's the same on 37001.

Mike.

(Thin knowledge on modern stuff.)

That's what it looks like.

The method used doesn't look 100% accurate as it returns to the plane of the door, but realistically I aren't sure whether fitting the wire handrails through the corner where they fit in real life would be practically possible (not sure if the holes are moulded in or drilled after, presume in the mould and so will need to draw), and it also looks like it's the way Bachmann do it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

That's what it looks like.

The method used doesn't look 100% accurate as it returns to the plane of the door, but realistically I aren't sure whether fitting the wire handrails through the corner where they fit in real life would be practically possible (not sure if the holes are moulded in or drilled after, presume in the mould and so will need to draw), and it also looks like it's the way Bachmann do it.

It's a shame as it's quite a distinctive feature of the loco.

Drilling the sides of the doorways can be done, you'd be amazed at how flexible a carefully used 0.30/0.35mm drill bit is!, although I'm sure it's considerably easier to put the holes in the right place at the moulding stage.

Mike.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's a shame as it's quite a distinctive feature of the loco.

Drilling the sides of the doorways can be done, you'd be amazed at how flexible a carefully used 0.30/0.35mm drill bit is!, although I'm sure it's considerably easier to put the holes in the right place at the moulding stage.

Mike.

Mike.

As touched on above, it’s the retraction of the mould that would be difficult as it will be pulled back perpendicular to the door. Having little 0.3mm pegs that jut out to the side to create the holes which themselves retract, and risk snapping off and remaining in the plastic just isn’t going to be possible. The only way is can be done would be to drill them out, perhaps with a mini drill and a little jig, along with snapped bits and swearing. The approach used here is barely noticeable when viewed by a 76 times overscale human on the retooled Bachmann 40. They were moulded on the original 40, the Lima 37 and the original Triang 37.

Edited by 97406
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

As touched on above, it’s the retraction of the mould that would be difficult as it will be pulled back perpendicular to the door. Having little 0.3mm pegs that jut out to the side to create the holes which themselves retract, and risk snapping off and remaining in the plastic just isn’t going to be possible. The only way is can be done would be to drill them out, perhaps with a mini drill and a little jig, along with snapped bits and swearing.

Exactly. These are being mass produced for a very reasonable price, even jigging up and having somebody there with a 0.3mm drill bit is probably going to be cost prohibitive.

• Agree 3