Class 37, by Accurascale

32 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Ditto

Harry Needles one being 37610 in its Blue/Yellow livery from Rails?  (Nice, but little bland would probably have been better looking with a Large Logo and Numbers, although personally would have preferred it in Old DRS with Malcolm Group nameplate).

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Just the heavy tractor group and Harry Needles ones left to go now for a clean sweep.

The 37 had to be the one to do it,a long time servant to Britain and its industrys,eventually so popular with the rail fan after the fall of steam as king.

More of an ugly duckling turning to a swan, I dont recall 37’s get much of a look in until the refurbs in the mid 1980’s.

Before that they were slab green and overlooked for everything else, followed by drab blue and overlooked by Other EE and Sulzer interests.

once the 55 and 40’s were out of the way, and the large logo blue appeared, they started getting a following.

I distinctly remeber someone saying to me at Coalville openday c1985 that now the 40’s have come to an end the 37’s would get a following… and I was thinking, why, as they were relatively mundane at that point, how right he was.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

More of an ugly duckling turning to a swan, I dont recall 37’s get much of a look in until the refurbs in the mid 1980’s.

Before that they were slab green and overlooked for everything else, followed by drab blue and overlooked by Other EE and Sulzer interests.

once the 55 and 40’s were out of the way, and the large logo blue appeared, they started getting a following.

I distinctly remeber someone saying to me at Coalville openday c1985 that now the 40’s have come to an end the 37’s would get a following… and I was thinking, why, as they were relatively mundane at that point, how right he was.

That’s how I recall it happening too. 37s were generally ignored as the 40s had a little more character and the whistle. The 37s were a welcome remedy for the withdrawal symptoms when the 40s departed, especially as the cabs were basically the same design, and the 37’s thrash was still quite appealing. The explosion of liveries helped too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

That's a bit like how people didn't like the HSTs being replaced by Azumas, but in reality the HSTs probably faced the same negativity when replacing 40s, 50s and 55s

2 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Nice, but little bland would probably have been better looking with a Large Logo and Numbers

Maybe so, but the appeal to me was that it is different to the other big logo ones I have (37025 and 37424)

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That's a bit like how people didn't like the HSTs being replaced by Azumas, but in reality the HSTs probably faced the same negativity when replacing 40s, 50s and 55s

I was upset when HSTs replaced themselves during the transition from Valentas to MTU

• Like 3

Question for the 37 experts here , I know there were many different variations in details but what I need to know is would 043 have the same roof as 114 ? I don't think I can wait to see if a nose top headlight version appears as I know it probably won't be for some time , I want to model 114 in blue after it had the buffer beams cut but before Large Logo/naming so contemplating getting 043 , removing the headlight , filling the hole , repainting blue and making a nose top mounted light

Tia

2 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Question for the 37 experts here , I know there were many different variations in details but what I need to know is would 043 have the same roof as 114 ? I don't think I can wait to see if a nose top headlight version appears as I know it probably won't be for some time , I want to model 114 in blue after it had the buffer beams cut but before Large Logo/naming so contemplating getting 043 , removing the headlight , filling the hole , repainting blue and making a nose top mounted light

Tia

043 and 114 have different boiler room roofs.

1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

If you don't mind me asking what is the difference? Cheers

37043 had a roof of riveted construction, 37114 was welded. The most obvious difference is the three straps on the boiler compartment panel of 37043  whereas 37114 had a smooth look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Simon Bendall said:

37043 had a roof of riveted construction, 37114 was welded. The most obvious difference is the three straps on the boiler compartment panel of 37043  whereas 37114 had a smooth look.

Excellent Simon thank you , looks like I'll have to wait after all :(

40 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

As stated on here before, all the Class 37 differences confuse me...... 

A simple guide to the differences would be very useful to many.....

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Excellent Simon thank you , looks like I'll have to wait after all :(

It depends whether you feel comfortable doing the mod? There definitely used to be (can’t say for sure there still is) a brass replacement roof panel for this mod available  - just required filing down ribs on model, roll the brass panel, glue in place and then paint. I did a few Limas back in the day and was one of easier mods. Would need to make sure replacement panel is dimensionally correct and not matched to Lima size though I think Limas roof was ok ok their 37…

10 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

As stated on here before, all the Class 37 differences confuse me...... 

A simple guide to the differences would be very useful to many.....

You could fill a book about class 37 differences.

To answer the earlier question as to boiler room roof re 37043/114, In essence this is how the split boxes break down:

D6700 - D6705 - Rivetted boiler roof, removeable cantrail grilles with dividing bars

D6706 - D6768 - Rivetted boiler roof, fixed cantrail grilles no dividing bar. Accurascale have correctly picked up the design of the boiler roof rivetting changed during this batch, I can't recall the changeover point (D6729?).

D6769 - D6795 - Rivetted boiler roof, fixed cantrail grilles with dividing bars

D6796 - D6818 - Welded boiler roof, fixed cantrail grilles no dividing bar.

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, 37114 said:

You could fill a book about class 37 differences.

Probably several books, but as always, it is when in time. 

Obviously there were differences even at delivery stage in terms of those with boilers and those without, as well as cantrail grilles etc etc.

But in service things happened. Those few split headcode locos which received centre boxes etc then buffers and buffer shrouds, bodywork plating, then "car headlights".  Western region lamp brackets, Central Wales headlights and their brackets. And that is before the even thinking of the Crewe refurb programme. 

Perhaps two books - one covering standards and one covering refurbs - definiteiy would be a good seller to modellers.

• Agree 2

I have been patiently waiting for Accurascale to announce the second wave of class 37 developments - the centre headcode "Welsh ones". It has occurred to me that A/S have announced production of pretty much every development - starting with the 37/6, then the first split headcode 37s, then the Scottish 37/0s, then the Cambrian 97/3. 

I am a patient guy though 😬

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Obviously there were differences even at delivery stage in terms of those with boilers and those without, as well as cantrail grilles etc etc.

But in service things happened. Those few split headcode locos which received centre boxes etc then buffers and buffer shrouds, bodywork plating, then "car headlights".  Western region lamp brackets, Central Wales headlights and their brackets. And that is before the even thinking of the Crewe refurb programme. 

Perhaps two books - one covering standards and one covering refurbs - definiteiy would be a good seller to modellers.

It would certainly be a useful reference, but I think would need to address every loco individually, covering the changes that occurred, preferably with dates.

Roy

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Ok, as an aside then, your starter for 10!

Which was the first loco to lose its split headcodes for centre ones?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Ok, as an aside then, your starter for 10!

Which was the first loco to lose its split headcodes for centre ones?

Mike.

Maybe D6791 in 1966 ? (37091?), also got horns on the roof too…

here before..

D6791 at North Ferriby

here after..

D6791 (37358) Leeds 22.07.1967

(both flickr urls, not my images).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

10 points to that man!

By my reckoning that was the first major re-build and puts a further combination into the mix. I first got interested in the loco when we gained it in 1971 or thereabouts at Tinsley, I was casually walking down the row of loco's on the top sidings and thought I'd got the number wrong, back in those days information wasn't so easy to come by, so after a bit of rooting round I found about it's episode at Cargo Fleet.

Interestingly, it was one of the pair of EE Type 3's which worked the first hot metal train to Consett, so I'm expecting to see it's appearance on at least one of the Stella Gill layouts!

Mike.