Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2023 at 00:09, Dagworth said:

Will 37140 carry the RETB aerials on the noses? She gained the headlight for working across the East Suffolk line when it was converted to RETB working. We had 5 37s so fitted, 138, 140, 144, 216 and 219.

37140 2nd Aug 1986 Ipswich

Visible in the centre window is the RETB cab equipment, the grey box.

Although not the same loco this gives a really clear view of the equipment

37415 Cardiff Canton 01/02/1992

Andi

Hi @Dagworth.

In 99% of pictures of this locomotive that we have collected the aerial is not visible, leading us to believe that they were only installed when the locomotive was actually diagrammed on East Suffolk line duties. To this end we will be providing this part in a polybag for customers to install if they so wish.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

leading us to believe that they were only installed when the locomotive was actually diagrammed on East Suffolk line duties

The aerials were fixed and stayed on the locos for the lifespan of the equipment being fitted (I worked on them as a secondman at Ipswich in the period)

Glad to know that you will be providing the aerials though.

Andi

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

The aerials were fixed and stayed on the locos for the lifespan of the equipment being fitted (I worked on them as a secondman at Ipswich in the period)

Andi

There seem to be several photos on Flickr of 37140 fitted with RETB and a headlight, but not carrying the aerials. See here for an example (not my photo):

https://flic.kr/p/2njfAu8

Roy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Dagworth.

In 99% of pictures of this locomotive that we have collected the aerial is not visible, leading us to believe that they were only installed when the locomotive was actually diagrammed on East Suffolk line duties. To this end we will be providing this part in a polybag for customers to install if they so wish.

Cheers!

Fran 

It looks thinner than the bent wire coathanger radio aerial  from a clapped out cortina - you'll have to do it overscale thickness ?

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It looks thinner than the bent wire coathanger radio aerial  from a clapped out cortina - you'll have to do it overscale thickness ?

Bit of thin piano wire would be good. 

Roy

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Bit of thin piano wire would be good. 

Roy

When I did one years back from a Lima 37 I used a Peco track pin, point up.  Don't touch my locos!

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
hit Post too soon
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Is this to make your model trains as lethal as gardening,my model 37 pricked me nurse........im all for realism but if you wargame do you have the razor blades on the wheels of your model charriot........the scale will be way out or a straight hair dipped in varnish,theres a reason the Hornby Dublo shunter with a pole is rare.

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

21 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

There seem to be several photos on Flickr of 37140 fitted with RETB and a headlight, but not carrying the aerials. See here for an example (not my photo):

https://flic.kr/p/2njfAu8

Roy

One for Hornby.  They can put the defunct technology for the titfield thunderbolt to good use, instead of pulling the chimney down on the coach, pull the aerial down on the 37 when not in use!

• Funny 2

21 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

Maybe it depended on which drivers had lost their car aerials while visiting dodgy watering establishments the previous evenings.  To then see a replacement, literally staring at them in the face...........   

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

I managed a rake of 16 before they sold out. A bit of rule 1 for Devon, but hey-ho! 

The Tunstead ICI trains were the first goods trains I remember as a kid, pulled by a 25 or 40 scaring the bejesus out me with the thrash! They sounded quite impressive going round the Skelton Junction chord, within earshot of the family home. They then changed to 20s and the 37s in that order if I recall correctly, hence wanting a typical pair of 37s from their stint on the job.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Interesting! What year is that then Andi? 1986 - I see now. I only started looking from 88 onwards!

Don't confuse fitting of aerials for RETB with fittings for Driver-to-Shore radio - which began in the late 1980s (c.87/88).   Although at some stage there seems to have been a change to different aerial arrangements so you don't see what you normally think of as a small radio aerial.