Class 37, by Accurascale

I may have missed info in this thread, but where can I find a guide to fitting the EM and P4 wheelsets to the Class 37? Unless I'm going mad, I can't find any information on the Accurascale website either. Don't want to mess this up,as there's a lot of very fragile details in this area. It also looks different to the Deltic bogies. 

Jon

• RMweb Gold
On 17/06/2023 at 05:12, PaulRhB said:

An easy enough fix but asking for future runs assembly. 

2004-07-07 37057 Salisbury to Reading (11)

2004-07-07 37057 Salisbury to Reading (4)

Eastleigh 25-10-18

37099 Salisbury 2020-11-19

I’ve snuggled the hinges down onto the roof on mine. Chipped the paint on one but that’ll hide with some weathering. Sound and speaker installed and the volume reduced slightly plus I used some tissue to stop it rattling against the sides. 
Top marks for ease of installation and really enjoying the sound now I’ve increased the acceleration value to 70, it snorts away great! 😁

IMG_5098.jpeg.f799676af22f5e585461e2d18c7b30d8.jpeg

IMG_5099.jpeg.b52c85f749391b75e33f2943f86f480f.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
Add video and missing d
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Just to update people going down this route, I’ve had a very helpful response from the Accura support team after I contacted them about my ordered decoder, as suggested by McC.

Although they are in stock for “next day despatch”, as McC posted, unsurprisingly the despatch team is somewhat busy after an intense period of different stock arriving, so there is a delay on such orders.  For example I ordered the decoder on June 7th and it’s still in the queue for postage.

No complaints from me, I totally understand and appreciated the explanation. Hopefully this post will avoid other people having to chase their own decoders with the support team.

You gotta feel for the Brummies in the Accurascale Warehouse as the range has expanded.  Then when it gets a little quiet, either another delivery turns up, or some goes for a quick fag break, trips over a pallet of long sold out stock, and it goes crazy again.....No rest for the wicked! 

• Funny 3

Having used the ' Big Boom Box ' in most of my 37' fleet I am still trying to get used to the Accurathrash speaker which I have come across before as I have it fitted to a couple of West Highland loco's. It certainly has a lot more base and sounds better with the sound volume reduced slightly rather than at full volume. What's the thoughts of others?

2 hours ago, Dunmar said:

Having used the ' Big Boom Box ' in most of my 37' fleet I am still trying to get used to the Accurathrash speaker which I have come across before as I have it fitted to a couple of West Highland loco's. It certainly has a lot more base and sounds better with the sound volume reduced slightly rather than at full volume. What's the thoughts of others?

I was chatting to someone at the weekend about this:

The 2 speakers are 8 & 4 ohms. If connected in parallel, these give a combined impedance of 2.67ohms. ESU's manual states that the speakers should total between 4-16 ohms. So turning them up to maximum could potentially overload the decoder.  It therefore makes perfect sense for them to sound better with the volume turned down to about 2/3 maximum.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, bazil31 said:

Yes my 37's do the same notch beck and engine goes to idle.

To be honest I just kick it back up on the speed and engine noise rises.

Baz

@Vecchio @bazil31  That's interesting.  I've just received my 37027 and it doesn't do what you describe.  Do you have the "refurbished 37" sound project by any chance?

Steve

On 17/06/2023 at 20:16, mallaig1983 said:

37027 Loch Eil which I ordered around the same time as starting the layout. Every step forward I’ve been looking forward to this moment. Not had chance all week to have a proper long running session. Kadee couplings fitted and sit at the right height so very impressed with that. But how do you fit the snowploughs? My eyesight is worse than I thought! I want to fit the ones that allow the coupling to be used as my locos run round and return. If anyone has fitted these please can you point me in the right direction? Thanks also to the kind soul who earlier in the week explained how to use my prodigy advanced, I really should read the instructions 🤣

D84029E2-4059-434B-B005-F89E44563033.jpeg.6c829def54c936805731e163a514d951.jpeg

EE9AC850-B4A1-428A-89DA-681FE7955099.jpeg.8f8feca4fd1b50783a7b1dbc4a63bf76.jpeg

Surely tailor made for your layout ?! It looks perfectly at home on your stunning layout .

I’ve bought one (027) but it’s a bit early for me . So if anyone knows what it’s ripe for a renumber to….

Sadly the 86-89 period of the WHL shows no signs of being represented any time soon, so I’ve been forced to buy the Bachmann 37s which require some work (and ££) to get them to sound as good as the Accurascale ones. 

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 55020 said:

@Vecchio @bazil31  That's interesting.  I've just received my 37027 and it doesn't do what you describe.  Do you have the "refurbished 37" sound project by any chance?

Steve

No, the original one. Will see if I can make a video tonight. It's a bit strange to throttle back and then the loco stays on idle sound even you do 50mph...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Theres nowt like a freebie…

C154CAAE-BACF-42B2-B2E2-74D8664E7A1E.jpeg.db01b2d72969e4cc3fadb2fd6646029e.jpeg

A bunch of points just been cashed.

My three from Rails just arrived too (so ive done my bit for retail too).

If the penny had dropped in time with me I’d have nabbed a non-sound 027 to go into plain banger blue minus headlamp. They’re gone now and it’s perhaps a good thing! My points will live on for another day! 😀

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I’ve snuggled the hinges down onto the roof on mine. Chipped the paint on one but that’ll hide with some weathering. Sound and speaker installed and the volume reduce slightly plus I used some tissue to stop it rattling against the sides. 
Top marks for ease of installation and really enjoying the sound now I’ve increased the acceleration value, it snorts away great! 😁

How easy were the hinges to do? Are they glued in? Not had a look at mine yet

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I’ve snuggled the hinges down onto the roof on mine. Chipped the paint on one but that’ll hide with some weathering. Sound and speaker installed and the volume reduce slightly plus I used some tissue to stop it rattling against the sides. 
Top marks for ease of installation and really enjoying the sound now I’ve increased the acceleration value, it snorts away great! 😁

9 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Yes, I’d be interested too as they are at risk of being caught and broken by my sausage fingers. I haven’t looked yet, but it may be possible to push them out from inside the body using a small drill held back-to-front in a pin vice then re-set them. I’ve used that approach a lot elsewhere. They certainly don’t push in on my example.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

23 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I haven’t looked yet, but it may be possible to push them out from inside the body using a small drill held back-to-front in a pin vice then re-set them.

The holes don’t go through the body so I had to chop them off flush with the roof with a brand new blade using a bit of paper to protect the paint. Then I chopped off the three lugs so it was a straight bar. 
Most difficult but was getting the cut faces from the lugs down. I solved that by placing it with the cuts facing up on a strip of masking tape then I used that to place them in the correct position and just hold it while I put some plasticweld on the top of the outer two hinges. Once that dried I removed the tape and put a spot of glue on the centre one. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

The holes don’t go through the body so I had to chop them off flush with the roof with a brand new blade using a bit of paper to protect the paint. Then I chopped off the three lugs so it was a straight bar. 
Most difficult but was getting the cut faces from the lugs down. I solved that by placing it with the cuts facing up on a strip of masking tape then I used that to place them in the correct position and just hold it while I put some plasticweld on the top of the outer two hinges. Once that dried I removed the tape and put a spot of glue on the centre one. 

Hmm , I think I'll live with them as they are as I'll probably muck something up

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

27 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Hmm , I think I'll live with them as they are as I'll probably muck something up

I’ve used thinned acrylic paint to hold details like that in place before. Hold the part in place with a little masking tape and apply with a small brush and capillary action draws the paint along. It normally takes a few applications to get a strong bond, but it’s tough stuff when you get it right.

Edited by 97406
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 hours ago, georgeds said:

Same here. Pre ordered a sound decoder some time in April. I got an email to notify they came in to stock on 31 May, so I queried when it would get sent out last week and was told the same. While I am understanding to a point, they've been in stock long enough now, despatch delays measured in weeks is not great. Hopefully it'll turn up soon!

Just had my despatch notification - spooky! That said, really looking forward to finally getting 37423 on the layout for the first time.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2023 at 10:46, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Quiet and 37 dont go together,as a kid when the ore trains ran past the chippy back door in Leadgate main street you felt the earth move and the fish jumped out the fryer.

It was even worse if you were sat on the lav.  Stuff that jumped out of the pot had to be seen to be believed.

https://flic.kr/p/M296SR

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Dunmar said:

I certainly felt that was the case with my pair of Deltics. 
If only to bring it back down to match the level of everything else with the wick turned up to 11!

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, 55020 said:

Steve

Hi Steve

Mine are the non refurbished 37 026   and 37 051

I will take a video Friday night when I run them on my mates layout

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit fed up with mine bogie chain came out (away from the body) tried for about an hour to get it back in but in the end the fitting came away from the chain and that's that so I lost patience and  pulled the chain off! Only I know its missing bit annoyed its happened on a brand new model. So beware of the bogie chains I guess.

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just had notification that my 37 Loch Eil (eel) DCC SOUND FITTED is being delivered tomorrow. So glad to have bagged one of the last few remaining sound fitted models.  

These 37's are nothing short of superb. Now, where are the others 😂😂👍👍👍

Edited by Krieghoff
Typo's
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

These 37's are nothing short of superb. Now, where are the others 😂😂👍👍👍

Something to look forward to. I’m well chuffed with mine so far.

• Like 2