Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Dunmar said:

Thanks for that Steve. 

My problem however is the acceleration speed. Any ideas?

If you can indicate how you'd like the acceleration to be modified I can try and offer something that might help.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2023 at 20:18, 55020 said:

There's been mention of the AS sound fitted models not moving off until about speed step 8 when the sound is enabled, at least for the unrefurbished locos.  This behaviour is matched by the engine revs not increasing until step 8, which in itself isn't a huge issue but it does mean that it's not possible to start with a crawl.

I've been trying to find an easy solution, and the best I can come up with involves amending only one CV.  If you change CV124 = 0, then this behaviour is no longer a problem.  (Note, to undo the change simply return it to its original value: CV124 = 4)

On my model I've also been able to reduce the starting voltage, and therefore have a slower speed step one crawl speed. 

Simply amend CV2 = 2.  (Original value CV2 = 3)

I've made a very amatuerish video to demonstrate the difference.  Please excuse the 'dining table toy train loop', as I though I might need a roundy roundy for the demo.

Further to my previous post and with regards to your comment about lack of revs when increasing speed steps. When I was able to tweak Cv's 5/6 the thrash commenced almost instantly at the lower end.

Bill

9 minutes ago, 55020 said:

If you can indicate how you'd like the acceleration to be modified I can try and offer something that might help.

The only way I can explain it is how I did it on the V4's. The default setting was 255 on Cv5. This was changed to say, 150/160. Cv6 should be set to half of Cv5 ie. 50/60. The loco would run at a more realistic scale speed and would most certainly rev much sooner. When reading the V5 it shows the Cv5 default as 255 but shows no setting for Cv6.

Bill.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Dunmar said:

The only way I can explain it is how I did it on the V4's. The default setting was 255 on Cv5. This was changed to say, 150/160. Cv6 should be set to half of Cv5 ie. 50/60. The loco would run at a more realistic scale speed and would most certainly rev much sooner. When reading the V5 it shows the Cv5 default as 255 but shows no setting for Cv6.

Bill.

IIRC, if there is no value in CV6 (CV6=0) then it is by default 50% of the value of CV5. 

Unless a complex speed curve is selected.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Dunmar said:

Bill.

CV5 is setting the top speed, which for the AS 37 almost certainly doesn't need adjusting.  As mentioned by @newbryford above, CV6 will be zero unless a complex speed curve is enabled (which AS haven't, by default).

In order to get the thrash at slower speeds there seems like three obvious options.

1.  Simply use the Drive Hold function (F7).  The selected speed will remain and you can thrash away by increasing the throttle.

2.  Use 'heavy train mode' (F5), which will slow acceleration (and see below).

2.  Perhaps more elegant would be to permanently decrease the acceleration rate.  CV3 is your goto here.  This will slow acceleration whilst allowing the revs to respond to a more open throttle position.  CV3 is defaulted to 40, but can be set to anything between 0 and 255 (the higher the number, the slower the acceleration).  @PaulRhB has suggested on another thread using a value of 70. 

Steve

Edited by 55020
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Dunmar said:

Bill.

If its a V5 DCC (the US version and commonly used in factory installs) then CV5 and 6 should work as normal for a 3 point speed curve. If its a normal V5 (most likely if its a 3rd parties sound) then 3 point speed curves aren't available and you'll need use a complex speed curve.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 55020 said:

CV5 is setting the top speed, which for the AS 37 almost certainly doesn't need adjusting.  As mentioned by @newbryford above, CV6 will be zero unless a complex speed curve is enabled (which AS haven't, by default).

In order to get the thrash at slower speeds there seems like three obvious options.

1.  Simply use the Drive Hold function (F7).  The selected speed will remain and you can thrash away by increasing the throttle.

2.  Use 'heavy train mode' (F5), which will slow acceleration (and see below).

2.  Perhaps more elegant would be to permanently decrease the acceleration rate.  CV3 is your goto here.  This will slow acceleration whilst allowing the revs to respond to a more open throttle position.  CV3 is defaulted to 40, but can be set to anything between 0 and 255 (the higher the number, the slower the acceleration).  @PaulRhB has suggested on another thread using a value of 70. 

Steve

Thanks Steve.

I was aware of the points you have mentioned but wanted to hear from others who may have had the same issues and what they did to resolve them. I attended the Perth show today, and I may be corrected later, I appeared to be the only modeller there running an Accurascale 37, so no chance of others viewpoints.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dunmar said:

Bill.

You need to use CVs 67 to 94. CV 80 is speed step 14 or the equivalent to CV 6. CV94 is the equivalent to CV5. You will have to adjust

all the others to smooth out the acceleration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cambo74 said:

Recently took delivery of the latest BR Blue Class 37 and fancied making it unique …. So a little bit or number removing and a new nameplate and voila …. 37081 Loch Long …

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg

IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4565.jpeg

That's nicely done but unfortunately the wrong body for 081

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After much squinting at late 80s pictures of 37s I went for 37066 with plated over doors. The only thing I couldn't determine was if it was single or double rivets on the boiler roof section, but I made an executive decision not to be bothered about that as it's barely visible at the scale.

image.png.eb7e01e8703adf141048457cc6a9a53c.png

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

8 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Well I think it looks good and a quick scan of the web shows it looks similar to the real thing - what's wrong/different on the body donor?

Photos on Railway Herald indicate 081 was one of the RSH built locos so it has the extra bars in the cantrail grilles.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Well I think it looks good and a quick scan of the web shows it looks similar to the real thing - what's wrong/different on the body donor?

RSH build cantrail grilles with the extra bars on 081

image.png.e27e87bbf77c3e8ef24a618126e03c3a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

081 was an RSH built loco so had the extra divider bars in the cantrail grille

53 minutes ago, 97406 said:

After much squinting at late 80s pictures of 37s I went for 37066 with plated over doors. The only thing I couldn't determine was if it was single or double rivets on the boiler roof section, but I made an executive decision not to be bothered about that as it's barely visible at the scale.

Nicely done , I made a bit of a boo boo with my second 027 this weekend whilst preparing to renumber , it's now sat on the workbench waiting to see if I can obtain some spares from Accurascale!

• Thanks 1

On 23/06/2023 at 14:01, McC said:

All the 37's have the hall sensors installed as standard. The DCC sound version adds the Accurathrash large speaker and the ESU Loksound 5, otherwise the models are identical. Hope that helps!

I take it then for all releases DC in the future including current 37,50,55, 66,89 and 92 announcements will have hall sensors installed then. 

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

I take it then for all releases DC in the future including current 37,50,55, 66,89 and 92 announcements will have hall sensors installed then. 

Hi @Torbay Express,

No, you know what they say about assumption. It will be worth reading specs on the locos when launched what they contain or dont contain. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Nicely done , I made a bit of a boo boo with my second 027 this weekend whilst preparing to renumber , it's now sat on the workbench waiting to see if I can obtain some spares from Accurascale!

Oh no! They carry a decent set of spare parts, especially the fittings that can get damaged whilst handling. They don’t yet do the windscreen mouldings as an aside.

I’ll look to weather 026 and 027 next. 027 won’t be as grotty as 066.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

Hi @97406,

We're absolutely loving this in Accurascale towers, well done! Loving the weathering, renumbering etc on show so far folks. Can't wait till the large logo ones are added to the mix very soon.....

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @97406,

We're absolutely loving this in Accurascale towers, well done! Loving the weathering, renumbering etc on show so far folks. Can't wait till the large logo ones are added to the mix very soon.....

Cheers!

Fran 

@Accurascale Fran you will hopefully see one of mine soon provided your team can help out with the spares I need due to my unfortunate incident this weekend 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Oh no! They carry a decent set of spare parts, especially the fittings that can get damaged whilst handling. They don’t yet do the windscreen mouldings as an aside.

I’ll look to weather 026 and 027 next. 027 won’t be as grotty as 066.

Hopefully they have a couple of headcode box covers 😂

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @97406,

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks, Fran. These models lend themselves well to being worked on and I have the LL one on order which will get a fair amount of weathering on it. The boiler exhaust port pops off and I replaced it with a plate as 066 lost its boiler quite a while back according to class37.co.uk.

20230626_143114.jpg.c9433934ea40b8b499af45086d7ff4be.jpg

It’s a smashing model anyway. 

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by 97406
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1