Class 37, by Accurascale

15 minutes ago, aeroplane said:

d6700-d6742 had double rivet roof

d6743-d6798 had single rivet roof

d6799 onward had welded roof

Thank you , that's very helpful when deciding which ones can be done from the Accurascale model

So , to summarise 

Models 37026 + 37027 can be used to create loco's 37001>37042 and 37119 (PLEASE NOTE , as far as I know 37001>003 + 37119 had a rivetted surround on the cantrail grilles)

Models 37043 + 37051 can be used to create loco's 37043>37098  with the exception of RSH built loco's (069>095)

No models to create 37099>118 currently (this depends really on how picky you are , same applies to all above)

Edited by sulzer71
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

See my posts earlier  on this thread but I used IPA on 37066, and white spirit unintentially on 027.

Yes I caught that one thanks. I found the white spirit point interesting. Did it remove the numbers well with no damage to the paint? I use Tcut on Bachmann locos but i have used Isopropynol and was going to plumb for either of those depending on experiences of others. I was a bit scared off using isopropynol after watching Charlie Chadwick on youtube attempting to use it on a Heljan 33. I do have Heljan 27s to renumber too buts outside the boundaries of this thread. I remember watching an Accurascale video on YouTube a while back called 'Gone in 60 seconds' about removing numbers on a class 55 but I cant find it for looking now.

Great work on your own locos, They look rather special, Very nice.

Andy

1 hour ago, aeroplane said:

d6700-d6742 had double rivet roof

d6743-d6798 had single rivet roof

d6799 onward had welded roof

This is great information but did the locos go through the same sequence of renumbering? As in were they kept in sequence going through the TOPS numbering? 6701 becoming 37001 or 6751 becoming 37051. Appreciate I could check each individual loco on 37 websites but others may also be interested to share your knowledge too.

Thanks

Andy

6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I know these were already on the way but is it possible to drop the roof panel hinges in future batches so they sit on rather than proud of the roof? Still great as a separate part as you get the undercut but they shouldn’t have air underneath 😉

Pretty please as it’ll save me sweating as I chop them down trying not to score the paint. 
IMG_5231.jpeg.5d49c133d62bd906be8377a8280ba7cd.jpeg

©️ Accurascale 

Two similar angles from my Flickr collections

IMG_5233.jpeg.448842e7a40e7ec5f28ca0762dde0035.jpeg

IMG_5232.jpeg.c06448678cc494734f9929fb60117774.jpeg

I found the easiest way to lower these was to push the pins out from inside using a small drill, then open the holes slightly larger to allow the bar to sit flush and fix with a small amount of solvent applied from inside.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

This is great information but did the locos go through the same sequence of renumbering? As in were they kept in sequence going through the TOPS numbering? 6701 becoming 37001 or 6751 becoming 37051. Appreciate I could check each individual loco on 37 websites but others may also be interested to share your knowledge too.

Thanks

Andy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Rail_Class_37_locomotives

has a list of each renumbering if that helps you

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, aeroplane said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Rail_Class_37_locomotives

has a list of each renumbering if that helps you

Thats great, thank you. So they stayed in sequence so any of us modelling TOPS period can use your info provided above and just translate the 4 digit number to 5 digit tops.

Thanks for your help.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Yes I caught that one thanks. I found the white spirit point interesting. Did it remove the numbers well with no damage to the paint? I use Tcut on Bachmann locos but i have used Isopropynol and was going to plumb for either of those depending on experiences of others. I was a bit scared off using isopropynol after watching Charlie Chadwick on youtube attempting to use it on a Heljan 33. I do have Heljan 27s to renumber too buts outside the boundaries of this thread. I remember watching an Accurascale video on YouTube a while back called 'Gone in 60 seconds' about removing numbers on a class 55 but I cant find it for looking now.

Great work on your own locos, They look rather special, Very nice.

Andy

I was literally giving the bodysides on 027 a wipe with white spirit to remove fingerprints, and the white stripe, the scotty dog and electrification flash came away on one side. The blue paint was softened slightly but it toughened up as the spirit evapourated. With IPA I had to really agitate it with a cocktail stick to remove the printed detail. The underlying paint looked a lot more tidy on the example accidentally stripped with white spirit. The pic I posted of the weathered 027 earlier shows the side that was partially stripped by accident. I masked off and resprayed the white stripe and applied transfers, but forgot the scottie dog! Will replace it in due course!

• Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Thats great, thank you. So they stayed in sequence so any of us modelling TOPS period can use your info provided above and just translate the 4 digit number to 5 digit tops.

Thanks for your help.

Not quite....

D6700 became 37119 (and then 37350)

D6983 was scrapped early so never got a tops number

D6819 did not become 37119 but slotted in at 37283

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

My favourite reference point for Class 37 renumberings is at the classic go-to page - https://class37.co.uk/. It's interesting to see that someone's now put this info onto Wikipedia, but the useful thing about the Class 37 page is the ability to search on the 'Fleet History' tab under each different running number depending on whether you knew the loco in it's early days, the first TOPS number or subsequent refurbs, it's all easy to navigate. 

For the roof detail variations, Flickr can be your friend - type in a loco running number and year and you'll usually be greeted with many shots uploaded, with a degree of luck and searching around the different years you can start to see the key details needed. It's a little more DIY research than just having everything there on a plate but makes for some great fun itself I always think!  

I've been in the same situation many a time and from experience it's always easier to take the opposite mindset of "I'd like to model 37XXX, which donor model shall I use?" rather than "I've just bought a model, which 37s can I make from it?" - it helps you open the mind a bit consider conversion parts from different places and some modelling fun! The interesting thing about the Accurascale model is the removable roof sections - in a few years time with more variations modelled we could soon all be swapping roof mouldings around on our models in the same way I'd used to be swapping over the different nose ends on the old-school Bachmann 37s, so I am sure there will be some more swapsies fun to come!

Cheers

James

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, James Makin said:

in a few years time with more variations modelled we could soon all be swapping roof mouldings around

I'm hoping this is another part that Accurascale consider stocking as spares to enable this kind of behaviour :) , I've had one of my 37027s delivered with the incorrect roof panel (it looks like one that should have gone on 37051) but no problem , it just means I can now do 37043 in Blue from it as it has the single rivetted panel instead of the double , I just need to practice my painting now as the loco was stripped to bare plastic due to a little mishap at the weekend

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

What did the owner not like about it that they are selling so quickly??? Or what major error has RMWeb not discovered?

Perhaps they just need to generate some cash?  Could be lots of reasons, not all negative 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

He had two of the same loco and one he was going to backdate - must have changed his mind.

Proof it is increasingly hard to backdate such specifically detailed models withouy major work and likely a repaint.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, McC said:

It's a good thing then we've a 500 loco roadmap of 37s on the way ;) :) 

Something for everyone- if they are patient 🤫🤫🤣🤣

Edited by younGGuns7
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

16 minutes ago, McC said:

The gift that keeps on giving for 15 years!

In all seriousness, the more variety made the more people are convinced they need another one.... and another one.... 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Thank you , that's very helpful when deciding which ones can be done from the Accurascale model

So , to summarise 

Models 37026 + 37027 can be used to create loco's 37001>37042 and 37119 (PLEASE NOTE , as far as I know 37001>003 + 37119 had a rivetted surround on the cantrail grilles)

Models 37043 + 37051 can be used to create loco's 37043>37098  with the exception of RSH built loco's (069>095)

No models to create 37099>118 currently (this depends really on how picky you are , same applies to all above)

Brill, that's it! Looking very closely at my 37s I can just about see they're double riveted ones, but it's barely visible, even under scrutiny. I guess if I wish to count rivets on 066, I'll just have to divide it by 2! 😄

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Very pleased with my 37026 (sound fitted) received from Colletts Models in Exmouth. Fitted the Accurascale crew - easy to unclip the body to fit these. Also fitted the pipe work, which was a little more tricky than the Deltic where the buffer beam is removable. Obviously removed the tension locks. I will make up wire coupling bar so that can use tension locks on the wagons / coaches being coupled but yet to determine the best way of mounting said wire, although thinking about utilising the holes where the snow ploughs are fitted as these not being fitted to my loco. Some experimentation and trial and error to follow.

I've run mine on a short length of track, but first impressions, very good and sounds superb. I do like the fading of the lights when switching on and off, plus the automatic cab light switch off when moving off. Runs smoothly on my MERG DCC system.

Waiting patiently for the next to be delivered from Accurascale, part of the next delivery due. Tempted to get a third ....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McC said:

My wallet has just run off and is cowering in the corner of the room!! 
these really are the 37’s that keep on giving, 026 arrived last week. 027 due to arrive from Colletts Models tomorrow and possibly 043 coming the week after next! 
Looking forward to some more 1980’s Scottish announcements within the 500!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, McC said:

Now if ACS would consider fantasy paint schemes, we could have a never-ending roadmap of Class 37s. Add an extra '0' to that 500.   🙃