Class 37, by Accurascale

26 minutes ago, scissors said:

Yes I suppose a standard car headlight would have a black bracket with it, just a lot more slender that of the model which means it does look better painted yellow. Please could you let us know what colour you used - it looks a great match.

Having run out of Warning Yellow I used Precision Paints Alexander Northern yellow. Yes, you heard correctly, normally for painting buses! 

Edited by Dunmar
Added text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

41 minutes ago, Dunmar said:

The other end!

IMG_20230707_200804_038.jpg

Bill, I’ve spoken to the dog and it wants it’s danglies back! That looks fantastic. I’ve been looking at my pair and contemplating similar. Where can one aquire a small tin of Northern yellow? I can only get Crosville leaf green around here.

Andy

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Bill, I’ve spoken to the dog and it wants it’s danglies back! That looks fantastic. I’ve been looking at my pair and contemplating similar. Where can one aquire a small tin of Northern yellow? I can only get Crosville leaf green around here.

Andy

Andy, I picked mine up last year at Bridgeton Bus Museum open day!

Bill.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I’d do a bit of research before repainting 37027’s lamp fixing…

it appeared to carry that lamp a very long time, and in photos it is clear it was a hard spot to keep clean.

37027 dates back to 1983, and it had the lamp before it had the white stripe.

for the Railfreight 37’s.. its more clear cut, they were repainted in Railfreight sector liveries, and hence yellow backing plate  with lamp in situe, and the lamp itself had a finite life as they were replaced.

The backing plate was yellow… and post 1985 yellow.

same here for Shapfell

37026 Shapfell. Newcastle Station. 03-06-1991

Yellow painred backing plate

But when it was blue.. the backing plate was black..

and Shapfell

37026-2

All flickr urls / not mine.

i might be tempted to reduce the black on 37027, but not remove it entirely.

The last class 37 I saw with car headlamps was a freshly repainted. 37037 Gartcosh in Railfreight metals… but that one had a black plate. I think it didnt last long with it afterwards however,  but i’m tempted to buy another and recreate its steel working heading north through Preston station one winters night in 1992.

7BFF517D-264D-4563-A6E3-20B3D556DEFC.jpeg.67f2cc4652272ed3af719700e98682b9.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’d do a bit of research before repainting 37027’s lamp fixing…

it appeared to carry that lamp a very long time, and in photos it is clear it was a hard spot to keep clean.

37027 dates back to 1983, and it had the lamp before it had the white stripe.

For the 7 or so months that 37027 had the white stripe, all of the pictures that I have viewed show a yellow headlight bracket. I'll be investing in a tin of warning panel yellow shortly 

37027 shows off its Eastfield White Stripe

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

If i psid for my scottish LL  37 does it just get dispatched or have i got to contact A/s at all as they are apparently now in stock?

If it’s paid and looks ok in your account area it will ship automatically. As soon a’s dispatched we will contact you with tracking information 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, thetrains said:

However, this is nothing to do with me, and posted in good faith, having been PM'd today I thought I would review it, as I feel you have hung me out to dry, with no just cause.

At no point are you mentioned, the nearest possible is at at 3.44mins referring to a railway modellers website, which could be any of the four I know of.

Don't be so naive. it's a personal and defamatory attack from a buffoon. In the context of you posting it here you are publicising his defamatory content hence the demand not to post it.

A sensible response would have been to apologise for unwittingly posting such content. If you wish to stand by it I may take further action.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 06/07/2023 at 23:24, adb968008 said:

I didn't realise these come with interior lights, on DC as well. 

Did you have to do anything to get the interior lights working? I don't appear to have this function on mine - and all the 6 switches are on

• RMweb Gold

image.png.f30ed420c0e53e51be3db1925e56d041.png

The glazing on the 37s is superb for a mass produced model but it can be improved still further by applying thinned matt black acrylic paint behind the screens, with the body off, of course! Use a small pointy brush and apply to the edges of the screens so it gets drawn into the gap around the edge of the 'glass' by capilliary action. Any overspill on the back of the screens is easily wiped off with a cotton bud and a little acrylic thinners. It removes most of the slight prismatic effects at the edges of the screens and they now stand up well alongside Laserglaze. Bachmann model with Laserglaze for comparison.

What spendid models they are!

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

If anyone is interested, I have been remapping a few of the lighting functions to bring them into line more closely with other models I have, including Accurascale's own class 92s. I swapped F17, F20 and F21 around using the LokProgrammer for ease in doing this.

F17 is now the engine room lights (was tail lights off)

F20 is now tail lights off (was cab lights)

F21 is now cab lights (was engine room lighting).

While the existing setup worked perfectly well, I find these settings easier to remember, especially the F20 and F21 settings.

On a different note, I have had no further luck in tracing why the flange squeal on F11 doesn't work with the sensor to limit it to only on curves. I have left it set so that F11 is simply on or off. I will let everyone know if I do succeed in tracing this, if Accurascale don't come back first with something themselves.

I have attached a Word file with the modified function list for anyone to download and print if they do the same modifications.

Class 37 Sound Function List - Modified.docx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SRman said:

On a different note, I have had no further luck in tracing why the flange squeal on F11 doesn't work with the sensor to limit it to only on curves. I have left it set so that F11 is simply on or off. I will let everyone know if I do succeed in tracing this, if Accurascale don't come back first with something themselves.

Just to add to the chorus - I am also experiencing this problem with the hall sensors not working as intended using the chip and a DCC ready 37027.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Any news on the status of the Large Logo variants please?

I have 37402 on order.

Thank you and regards

John

previous page .  . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hello again: I have been playing around with the DCC functions again on my 37 423. For anyone with a LokProgrammer this is easy to do, although it took me a while to work out the correct combinations of settings and outputs. It should be do-able in JMRI Decoder Pro, although reading always takes longer (at least with my system of NCE Power Pro attached through a serial cable).

What I wanted this time was to change the top headlight so that F18 turns it on, but it is off by default. I left it out for the night running light settings on F22, assuming that it would be too dazzling for oncoming drivers, but now I have got a bead on it, it would be easy enough to program in. 

This screen shot of the function map in the ESU software shows the latest mods and also the previous changes such as for F11, F17, F20 and F21. Unfortunately I didn't think to do a screen shot of the original settings, but if anyone chooses to follow my lead, they will see their initial readings first for comparison anyway.

I sincerely hope this may help those who are tinkerers like me. 🙄 As always, make sure you save the project when you first read it so you can resume where you left off if it goes wrong. As a last resort you can always do a decoder reset, of course.

ESULokProgrammerAccurascaleClass37423Settings.PNG.b3d002aad0fe0b0f4ce74ad45e287da6.PNG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

11 hours ago, derekdoestrains said:

Top is a marker light, so should be on whenever the markers / headlights are…

I thought it was more of a EuroTunnel thing, at least initially, and was not used all the time. Class 92 and 68 also have the top light fitted but it doesn't seem to be used much on those locomotives. Certainly it is only on in some of the photos of these classes while the head and marker lights are on.

I did find a photo with the top light on in night time mode though, so will have to add the feature allowing that.

Edited by SRman
Additional info.

4 hours ago, SRman said:
15 hours ago, derekdoestrains said:

Top is a marker light, so should be on whenever the markers / headlights are…

I thought it was more of a EuroTunnel thing, at least initially, and was not used all the time. Class 92 and 68 also have the top light fitted but it doesn't seem to be used much on those locomotives. Certainly it is only on in some of the photos of these classes while the head and marker lights are on.

The lighting on the 37s modified by DRS is on a rotary switch, with day / night/ yard settings. Yard is the 3 markers, then day and night adds the relevant headlight as well. So on whatever setting, the top marker is lit, and the driver cannot select it independently. 

Class 92s that top light is a headlight for working through the Tunnel and can be independently switched, but everything else in the UK that top light is only a marker and isn't dazzling. 

Class 68 may give the appearance of the top marker not being lit, but the lighting on these are LED so in photographs or video can appear to flash due to the refresh rate of the LED being close to the camera shutter speed.

Jo

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

The lighting on the 37s modified by DRS is on a rotary switch, with day / night/ yard settings. Yard is the 3 markers, then day and night adds the relevant headlight as well. So on whatever setting, the top marker is lit, and the driver cannot select it independently. 

Class 92s that top light is a headlight for working through the Tunnel and can be independently switched, but everything else in the UK that top light is only a marker and isn't dazzling. 

Class 68 may give the appearance of the top marker not being lit, but the lighting on these are LED so in photographs or video can appear to flash due to the refresh rate of the LED being close to the camera shutter speed.

Jo

Thanks for that. It is much more difficult for me here in Australia as I cannot just pop my head out of the window to observe these things. It was the class 92 tunnel requirements that had me confused.

Nevertheless, I have now succeeded in separating the function so it is entirely optional for me. I just found the brightness of the top light on the model a little irritating. Next task (a much easier one!) is to dim it a little. 😎

None of what I have been doing is in any way a criticism of what Accurascale have done. Having the tail light cut-out on F20, for instance, brings the 37 into line with the Accurascale class 92, Dapol class 59, and Hatton's class 66, among others.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 11/07/2023 at 07:33, SRman said:

It is much more difficult for me here in Australia as I cannot just pop my head out of the window to observe these things.

I would think the other thing is if you watch you tube to get info the lighting is not as it is with the frame rates of leds matching the video,the lights seemingly flashing on everything but not so in fact.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I would think the other thing is if you watch you tube to get info the lighting is not as it is with the frame rates of leds matching the video,the lights seemingly flashing on everything but not so in fact.

Yes, of course, that's very true ... Tram and bus destination displays suffer from that problem too. I was trying recently to capture the destination display on a Danish bus and totally failed even after a number of attempts. I kept getting either halfa  display or gibberish. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1