Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Which is one of the best types IMO. For some reason I like the nose horn ones more.

Which is looking like it's maybe going to be doing the Yorkshire RHTT rounds this year.

Would be a good candidate IMO, although TBH I don't think I need any more DRS 37s. I could say I don't really need any more 37s full stop but I don't think I could resist a current condition 901 or a West Coast one, especially if said WC one was 706.

This type of discussion offers an interesting dynamic and I presume is why Accurascale have already said that they will produce most 37s in the coming years. 

I for example would try and buy most running numbers of the current or ex DRS 37s in at least one guise/condition. In some instances I would even like to buy the same running number more than once in different liveries. By this I mean for example I would like to buy say 37607 in DRS Compass and HN Rail Orange liveries. My reason being that 607 in Compass was a regular hauler of the Network Rail test trains a few years ago and seemed to work these trains more often than other DRS 37/6s. And 607 in its current HN Rail Orange livery because it’s more suitable for the current era having been repainted into this livery in October 2022, it’s also now a Class 37 that’s on hire to Colas to operate Network Rail test trains and it’s the only 37/6 to wear this livery. Furthermore this current livery also offers more combinations to run with other 37s in model form compared to when it wore Compass livery. In just a year 607 in Orange has operated with BR Blue 610, Plain Blue 612, also Orange 405, BR Blue 409 and most of the Colas liveried 37s. The point I’m making is that I’m sure their is demand for plenty of 37s from across all of the different eras and I would even say their would be demand to produce the same running numbers more than once in different liveries, guises and conditions to suit specific eras, as I mention above regarding 607 despite it already been produced in original DRS Blue in the first batch. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

I'm sure if the hobby survives , there is scope to produce every livery and configuration that existed within limits - the limit being they must have been popular enough for 500-3000 people to buy one ( i have  no idea how big the production run is ), so the company will have to decide if each model is viable .

And the interest is spread over many decades and may ebb and flow as literally - people die off . How many young modellers today want an original green one from the 60s ? How many old boys want a Orange one that pulls the odd test train ? 

I don't know the answers , but accurascale doesn't seem to have a problem selling out production runs thus far 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

for example would try and buy most running numbers of the current or ex DRS 37s in at least one guise/condition

I agree with what you're getting at, but given the sheer amount of DRS releases that have happened already, and that there's one more to come, makes me wonder whether their attention will be more non DRS in the future.

I think you'll probably acknowledge that you are an exception, you even have DRS in your name!

In terms of the present day scene I think in the future there will be more HMRC ones (only one orange so far, and 610), ROG (in one format or another) and West Coast.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, timbo2857 said:

Is green D6703 still scheduled for mid october? if so I had better pay the balance. 🙂

Yes they are almost here. Due to the warehouse this coming week. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice to think that most 37s could justify a production run of however many units seem appropriate. It’s also interesting that whatever the market share is interested in buying the BR numbers and liveries and the more recent and current liveries whether they are modern Freight Operator Class 37 liveries or BR Retro liveries all of these seem to be in demand judging by most numbers and liveries having sold out at Accurascale directly before the models have arrived. 

In terms of demand for current and ex DRS 37s to be produced maybe I am an exception to some extent in terms of how many I would like to buy of each running number and livery but at the same time I do know of other people that heavily model DRS, so I would say that even excluding myself that DRS liveries of any kind are popular. 

This is the beauty of the extensive Class 37 tooling that Accurascale have, they can offer most liveries, guises, conditions spanning across different eras, over time providing that demand is there. In the hope that it is then we certainly have plenty of 37s to look forward to that will hopefully make everyone happy. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Some very gentle wahes and air brush weathering - most (but not all) DRS locos do seem to be kept pretty clean..I'm yet to use any pigments but it won't need much.

53224200560_8d809e40e2_z.jpg

53223695516_cf32415dbc_z.jpg

Yes seen 423 many times and think you have captured it very well! Given it a "weathered just been through the train wash look" 👍

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Random post here chaps. 

the new packaging that the 37's are arriving in is absolutely superb. A lot better than the random 'airpad' sheets that were very hit and miss in terms of protection. 

the new 'ends' hold the locomotive box far more securely 

well done Patrick, Fran et al. 

Edited by Krieghoff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Melton Works said:

A couple of Slugs would be good! 👍

They got around a bit too…. Used to regularly see a 37/9 on the Cardiff to Metal Box working, just outside Bolton. they laid over just outside Manchester Victoria… I saw all 6 of them on that run at different points.

Heres 901 on its way back, at Salford Crescent..

E2F65C1A-29CC-460B-B00C-2AFA7A9C2693.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 12

23 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Hopefully we see a similar number of releases in EWS, Mainline, Triple grey etc as there have been DRS models, we're all waiting patiently! And having now received my first Accurascale 37 I'm definitely happy to be purchasing many more.

I would put money on a 37/9 too...

I wholeheartedly agree with this, EWS, Loadhaul and Triple Grey would be superb in the next run. Just a few standard locos that are good candidates for renumbering/detailing etc.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/09/2023 at 09:17, TomScrut said:

the sheer amount of DRS releases that have happened already, and that there's one more to come

Just goes to show how sucessfull @DRS Crewe On A Mission is,way to go Danny.

On 30/09/2023 at 07:37, rob D2 said:

the limit being they must have been popular enough for 500-3000 people to buy one

The trick is getting it right for all concerned as you dont want to buy something that is worthless after a few years as the market is knee deep in them,some of the retailers are discounting more heavily to release slow moving stock,just getting the balance right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Just goes to show how sucessfull @DRS Crewe On A Mission is,way to go Danny.

The trick is getting it right for all concerned as you dont want to buy something that is worthless after a few years as the market is knee deep in them,some of the retailers are discounting more heavily to release slow moving stock,just getting the balance right.

Well I’d imagine that only matters if you are a collector . I don’t care if accura produce 3000 or 25 million EWS split box 37s - I want to run them and renumber them, they are not a nest egg for any grandchildren I may have ( the krugerrands are in a biscuit tin under the bed ;)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, CazRail said:

In an ideal world, I'd love un-numbered EWS 37s, but of course detail differences etc make that a bit difficult if you're after a particular loco. It's a nice idea though.

Never happen I don’t think. Bachmann were asked a million times but always said no as 90% of modellers don’t wanna renumber . Having said that Heljan unnumbered 47s did sell it seems .

maybe accura can ensure or test to make sure the numbers are easily removed or similar ?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Never happen I don’t think. Bachmann were asked a million times but always said no as 90% of modellers don’t wanna renumber . Having said that Heljan unnumbered 47s did sell it seems .

maybe accura can ensure or test to make sure the numbers are easily removed or similar ?

So far almost every 37 made is unique in some or many ways so renumbering would be against our ‘accuracy’ mandate however the numbers do run off quite well with a dab of ipa on a cotton bud. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, McC said:

........however the numbers do run off quite well with a dab of ipa on a cotton bud. 

Is that Adnams, Hobgoblin or Greene King indian pale ale 🍺

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, McC said:

So far almost every 37 made is unique in some or many ways so renumbering would be against our ‘accuracy’ mandate however the numbers do run off quite well with a dab of ipa on a cotton bud. 

I've used white spirit on a cotton bud after removing part of the white stripe on 37027 by accident. The orange cantrail stripe and numbers were removed off 37419 the same way on its way to becoming 37415.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1