Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Stephen you need to stop pandering to all these youngsters though. They get excited by all the ‘bling’ liveries and I get that but let’s have a whole raft of BR blue for us older modellers. A hark back to the days when the class 37 in a garish livery was unheard of. Today they are considered ‘celebrity’ but let’s have a run when they were just merely the BR workhorse. Lots more banger blue pleeeaaaase. 😉

Nowt bling about this one… except the jewel encrusted headlight.

B1D5C731-F9E8-4D86-BA28-2ADD4677AFC7.jpeg.b18575a0a060d56f2bb336d6aed64ea4.jpeg

apologies for the quality, I was a bit young, poor camera and 10 years before I could afford to develop the film…

Any offers which 37 this is at Perth, c1992 named 37/0 in Engineers ?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Nowt bling about this one… except the jewel encrusted headlight.

B1D5C731-F9E8-4D86-BA28-2ADD4677AFC7.jpeg.b18575a0a060d56f2bb336d6aed64ea4.jpeg

apologies for the quality, I was a bit young, poor camera and 10 years before I could afford to develop the film…

Any offers which 37 this is at Perth, c1992 named 37/0 in Engineers ?

37088 Clydesdale.

I’d suggest the photo was pre 1992 because by then it had high intensity headlights fitted and carried non standard small numbers.

https://flic.kr/p/2iPrte3

Edited by Purnu
Additional information.
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

@McC: Please don't release any more class 37s that I want. I'll be up to five of them shortly. I don't think my bank balance will stand too many more! 😉😁

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

I made that post because I don’t think us lot who were there during the best days of British Rail make enough noise. Maybe because the youngsters are more tuned in to social media they are the ones posting more. 
But I do think we need to bang our drum a little louder so Accurascale hear what we want. 
I appreciate that the Accurascale class 37 was launched to produce models of locos that have nor previously been released, that’s good but nobody has yet produced an early 80s banger blue, cutaway cowels big standard two a penny ‘80s standard class 37z Nobody!! These things were absolutely everywhere. By today’s standards perhaps not an exciting livery but a livery from a time where the big railway was exciting. A time when I imagine the majority of us were spotting, gricing and bashing our weekends away. That’s an era I certainly want to recreate. Yeah I get the bling is attractive to the millennials and older folks just discovering railways but surely the big money spinner is for locos that is fifty somethings loved and miss?

im no marketing consultant but I think both manufacturers of class 37 models are missing this.

I'll echo this sentiment to add a little more 'noise'.

I model the Eastern Region BR Blue 1975 - 1982ish.

I have 7 Deltic's with 3 more on order, I have 9 Class 31's on order (a few duplicates for renumbering in there) but by comparison, of the 2 batches of 37's released/announced, only 2 have been in my timeframe.

Would love to see more.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, McC said:

So far almost every 37 made is unique in some or many ways so renumbering would be against our ‘accuracy’ mandate however the numbers do run off quite well with a dab of ipa on a cotton bud. 

Glad of that as those pesky tops panels, shed plates and other guff will definitely be coming off D6702. 

As others have said, there is much demand for the standard blue and green liveries. 

It doesn't have to be unique in some way. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Glad of that as those pesky tops panels, shed plates and other guff will definitely be coming off D6702. 

As others have said, there is much demand for the standard blue and green liveries. 

It doesn't have to be unique in some way. 

Rob. 

Also have the D6702 on order. I knew the TOPS panels had to come off to get to pre TOPS, but would appreciate a bit more detail on what is needed to back date this 37 correctly.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Also have the D6702 on order. I knew the TOPS panels had to come off to get to pre TOPS, but would appreciate a bit more detail on what is needed to back date this 37 correctly.

D6702, as per Accurascale's release, depicts the loco as of November '67 ( earliest ) when it was allocated to Tinsley, hence the 41A shedplate. It had moved from Stratford, where it had been since '61, to Wath earlier in '67. 

There's this cracking Fred Castor photo on Pinterest which is as depicted by A/S

https://pin.it/5yL3F0F

I want it as per it's East Anglian days, hence getting rid of the 'extras'.

Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think the guys know exactly what they are doing, flood the market with the shinys at first, then have a constant flow of bog standard green and blue examples, with the odd shiny thrown in to keep the loco-flies buzzing

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

D6702, as per Accurascale's release, depicts the loco as of November '67 ( earliest ) when it was allocated to Tinsley, hence the 41A shedplate. It had moved from Stratford, where it had been since '61, to Wath earlier in '67. 

There's this cracking Fred Castor photo on Pinterest which is as depicted by A/S

https://pin.it/5yL3F0F

I want it as per it's East Anglian days, hence getting rid of the 'extras'.

Rob

Which is why it’s bang on the money for me! Tinsley split boxers not common but not unknown in the West Midlands late 60s … very predictable on coal trains through Derby before MGR became the norm….

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Purnu said:

37088 Clydesdale.

I’d suggest the photo was pre 1992 because by then it had high intensity headlights fitted and carried non standard small numbers.

https://flic.kr/p/2iPrte3

Thanks, that looks like a winner and the name does ring a bell now.

I did a quick bit of flickr sleuthing…

Feb 1990 - damaged split head, in blue

july 1990 - looking ex-works in engineers

June 1991 - last pic before “088” added to nose.

Aug 1991 - last pic with car headlight, and “088” added to nose

May 1992 - first pic with regular headlight

That’d date it as my Christmas 1990 trip.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Which is why it’s bang on the money for me! Tinsley split boxers not common but not unknown in the West Midlands late 60s … very predictable on coal trains through Derby before MGR became the norm….

And regulars on passenger work on the GC when still in their proper livery - in the days when we called them EE Type 3s.  First time I travelled behind one was from Sheffield Victoria to Banbury. (which, for the information of younger readers, has to have been an age thing of course).

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

And a pair of them,D6742&D6743 were trialled down in the South Wales Valleys in the autumn of 1962 and thus started the now legendary use of the class there until the pit closures and even beyond.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And regulars on passenger work on the GC when still in their proper livery - in the days when we called them EE Type 3s.  First time I travelled behind one was from Sheffield Victoria to Banbury. (which, for the information of younger readers, has to have been an age thing of course).

i dunno, these old timers riding green 37’s… my first ride on the GC was in real style…

😀

995698EB-0B13-4E5C-987E-3F09B4C7F30B.jpeg

7665384C-4FE7-4CEA-9A0E-C12CC81B61CF.jpeg

I must have been lucky as my 2nd and 3rd trip were with 4472 and 4498… no DMUs for me !

Took me a long time to discover this route as it was a pretty sedate line with not quite the excitement of the GW and WC mainlines In those days.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Stephen you need to stop pandering to all these youngsters though. They get excited by all the ‘bling’ liveries and I get that but let’s have a whole raft of BR blue for us older modellers. A hark back to the days when the class 37 in a garish livery was unheard of. Today they are considered ‘celebrity’ but let’s have a run when they were just merely the BR workhorse. Lots more banger blue pleeeaaaase. 😉

They are very colourful, but they don’t do much . I can have a bright 37 with a rake of condemned stock ( bit depressing ) or a yellow one going past once a week on yellow coaches . Zzzzzzzz

I remember when they were commonplace on real trains, and trains of variety . And what’s wrong with maroooon..garish enough surely ?!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FIN 55 said:

I don't no why a modeller wants a specific model if I like the way they look that's fine with me I now own 10 37's with different livery 

It's each to their own. If I didn't limit myself to a certain region and era I would have too much I'd want to buy! Not to mention it would cause a massive lack of coherence on the layout, which I wouldn't like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

15 hours ago, FIN 55 said:

I don't no why a modeller wants a specific model if I like the way they look that's fine with me I now own 10 37's with different livery 

We all enjoy the hobby in our own way. 
Some people just like to watch trains going round and couldn’t care less that, for example, an 08 shunter isn’t typically used to haul a 15 coach rake @ 150mph on the mainline. 
Other people blend modelling with interest in contemporary history and engineering and find something that wouldn’t exist in the real world annoying.

To draw a parallel with cars… I don’t particularly like classic cars on modern alloy wheels. It just doesn’t look “right”. 
Others love it. 
You take your joy where you can I guess…

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

It's each to their own. If I didn't limit myself to a certain region and era I would have too much I'd want to buy! Not to mention it would cause a massive lack of coherence on the layout, which I wouldn't like.

i am the same if i didn't limit on my era and region.   tried 2 era when i started and quickly ran out room etc for other trains i brought,     

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

i am the same if i didn't limit on my era and region.   tried 2 era when i started and quickly ran out room etc for other trains i brought,     

I am era 11 Yorkshire/North East ECML, but if I had a bottomless pit of money and the space I'd also do Era 8 which is what I saw when I was a kid. But it would just cause me problems now if I tried doing both. I'd be compromising one for the sake of the other.