Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Gilbert said:

Funny you should say that...I may need to lengthen the shunty log on Lockdown Fen....

Nice. Had to be done. This fictional East Anglian diesel era layout might have to get built now. All the stock.....no idea.........! 

Rob. 

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 55020 said:

Has anyone managed to fit the very nicely modelled frost grills?  If so, how did you manage to get them to stick?

Steve

The tiniest amount of gel superglue… applied with a pin …. On the edge of the grille recess. Just make sure they are on the right way around … rivets on the frame on the outside 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

I don't know if there is a link for the DCC Functions for this loco - I have looked on the Accurascale Website but I have not spotted it.

It might have been mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

It's in the support section (and obviously included with every loco) here's a download link

Class_37_dcc_functions_GENERIC_v4_Web_ou

On 26/08/2023 at 13:16, jonnyuk said:

Mine is the v1 version, from I have read it only goes up to 15. If this is the case ill shall be returning the decoder for a refund. It’s not mentioned anywhere that you need a 28 function DCC system, and why put light functions so far down function numbers on a non sound decoder, makes no sense to me.

The same problem I have with the Class 92s I own. My Lenz LH90 only goes up to F18(?) so I'm stuck with having a lot of features I cannot use.

I thought about buying one that had been released but I will pass it I cannot get it to function fully.

Peter

7 minutes ago, McC said:

Hi Peter,

It's in the support section (and obviously included with every loco) here's a download link

Class_37_dcc_functions_GENERIC_v4_Web_ou

Thanks.

I could not spot a link to the support section on your website - hence my question

But I have found it now.

The link above is missing a few letters

Peter

Edited by Peter749

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

Thanks.

I could not spot a link to the support section on your website - hence my question

But I have found it now.

The link above is missing a few letters

Peter

You'll find support in the footer, or in your account area, and in widget form on every page (the little bubble bottom right)

If you double click https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0019/3957/0801/files/Class_37_dcc_functions_GENERIC_v4_Web_outlines.pdf above, it will open the actual PDF

Any questions at all, our team can be reached using the same speech bubble if you need any help at all!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, McC said:

A few days ago at the latest 

I was told by colletts models that their batch was arrempted to be delivered to them yesterday when they were closed and is now getting delivered tomorrow. I hope so because I have 37001 on order with them and I don't want to miss it

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 37081LochLong said:

I was told by colletts models that their batch was arrempted to be delivered to them yesterday when they were closed and is now getting delivered tomorrow. I hope so because I have 37001 on order with them and I don't want to miss it

Have just spoken to them also as I was planning to be in the Exmouth area tomorrow and potentially wanted to pick my order up too -  delivery is scheduled for this afternoon. 

• RMweb Premium

Got my D6702 joining its class mate D6703. Nice runner, beautiful sound. It's an interesting representation of just pre-TOPS with loco info panels and shed code adorning the side. 

The only query I have is over the head code lighting, which is minimalist to say the least. It could do with turning up a fraction, any ideas anybody. The other lighting, namely cab and control panel is superlative.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

37001 & D6702 arrived with Royal Mail about 40 minutes ago just before lunch. So far only had a cursory glance at the locomotives. Very well packed by Derails in fairly sizeable box.As I type this just had a message from accurascale to inform that D6703/4 are on their way via DPD.My last delivery from accurascale about a month ago and most previous deliveries have used DHL. Is there a reason for the change of courier or is DHL busy?

Edited by d46037

2 hours ago, carefreeroz said:

Queston to all Class 37 enthusiasts :

Can anybody tell me please what year was it when the first Class 37 was outshopped/painted in BR Large Logo livery and more specifically a split headcode Class 37?

Thanks

37025 was both the first 37 generally and first split box example specifically to receive large logo livery, just before Christmas 1983.

Edited by Cruachan
  • Agree 1

I have thoroughly enjoyed and am very grateful to read different people's experiences of the cut out problem on start-up. This seems to be the norm with the 37s, even including my recently arrived D6702 and D6703. However, as others have said, allowing a little time presumably for the capacitors to charge solves the problem. My own method of doing this is to start the loco with CV63 at say 150 and then gradually ramp up the sound after a minute or so with the following changes namely CV63=192 + CV32=1 + CV259=255. The final change with CV 259 really does add a depth of sound as I mentioned in a previous post. I use an NCE Procab 5 amp system incidentally.

Not all of the 37s appear to react in the same way. The sound on my 37608 for example simply won't operate at any sound level beyond CV63=150, no matter what I do. I suspect I might have a decoder that needs returning.

As others have also commented, it could be down to the speakers and the way they are configured together. I believe the Loksound V5 should run with a speaker or speaker setup at a minimum of 4 ohms. Putting my meter across the terminals with the loco running gives a reading on 37608 of 2.3 ohms and I wonder if it might be this value that is causing the cut out albeit that this is infinitely preferable to the decoder amplifier failing.

With the new firmware available, I think others may be on the right track in disconnecting the sugar cube and relying instead simply on the Accurathash main speaker, especially as we now have a simplified form of graphic equaliser to modify the bass and treble response. I suspect that simply with the main speaker running, which will of course be at 4 ohms, the sound quality, depth, and volume are all likely to be better, and I wonder if those who have tried this could comment.

Ideally I want more volume and depth and in that respect can't help drawing a comparison with the Zimo equipped SLW Class 24s which have more of both and yet with a much smaller speaker setup.

2 hours ago, Francis deWeck said:

Got my D6702 joining its class mate D6703. Nice runner, beautiful sound. It's an interesting representation of just pre-TOPS with loco info panels and shed code adorning the side. 

The only query I have is over the head code lighting, which is minimalist to say the least. It could do with turning up a fraction, any ideas anybody. The other lighting, namely cab and control panel is superlative.

It's down to personal preference but I have to say that minimal head code lighting replicates the real thing much better than the neon light show effect often provided on modern models!

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

It's down to personal preference but I have to say that minimal head code lighting replicates the real thing much better than the neon light show effect often provided on modern models!

If you get the opportunity to look at the original bulbs fitted you'll see that this dimness is prototypical. The illumination on the prototype was there solely so that the reporting number could be read in the dark. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, tlm said:

I have thoroughly enjoyed and am very grateful to read different people's experiences of the cut out problem on start-up. This seems to be the norm with the 37s, even including my recently arrived D6702 and D6703. However, as others have said, allowing a little time presumably for the capacitors to charge solves the problem. My own method of doing this is to start the loco with CV63 at say 150 and then gradually ramp up the sound after a minute or so with the following changes namely CV63=192 + CV32=1 + CV259=255. The final change with CV 259 really does add a depth of sound as I mentioned in a previous post. I use an NCE Procab 5 amp system incidentally.

Not all of the 37s appear to react in the same way. The sound on my 37608 for example simply won't operate at any sound level beyond CV63=150, no matter what I do. I suspect I might have a decoder that needs returning.

As others have also commented, it could be down to the speakers and the way they are configured together. I believe the Loksound V5 should run with a speaker or speaker setup at a minimum of 4 ohms. Putting my meter across the terminals with the loco running gives a reading on 37608 of 2.3 ohms and I wonder if it might be this value that is causing the cut out albeit that this is infinitely preferable to the decoder amplifier failing.

With the new firmware available, I think others may be on the right track in disconnecting the sugar cube and relying instead simply on the Accurathash main speaker, especially as we now have a simplified form of graphic equaliser to modify the bass and treble response. I suspect that simply with the main speaker running, which will of course be at 4 ohms, the sound quality, depth, and volume are all likely to be better, and I wonder if those who have tried this could comment.

Ideally I want more volume and depth and in that respect can't help drawing a comparison with the Zimo equipped SLW Class 24s which have more of both and yet with a much smaller speaker setup.

i have same issue as you have tho my 97301 going back for 2nd time,  my rog 37608  cut out on start up AS said cv 63=150,  i tried at 162 so far working fine touch wood, im like you i want more volume etc

Edited by The Meerkat

Following on from my comments earlier in this thread I thought I would pass on my experience of fitting sound to a DCC-Ready D6702. I  purchased an Accurascale ESU Loksound v5 decoder, an Accurathrash speaker, and speaker clips. Ordered Friday afternoon and arrived Tuesday afternoon (today) so a prompt delivery. Thank you Accurascale. So onto fitting the gear. I kept the original cube speaker in the loco and found a very instructive video online from John JMC regarding the fitting. Thank you John. Firstly I altered the pins as advised to suit the ESU decoder. It was set up originally for a non-ESU decoder. Tested my eyesight though. Placed speaker and clips and decoder in sequence in the loco though decoder was put in upside down to normal which was pointed out in the video. Some faffing around with the wiring routing was needed to fit the speaker and clips and I still have not got the roof as flush as I would like. More fiddling needed perhaps.  All started well enough until the sound cut out after a few seconds. So, after advice on  here, altered CV63 to 150 down from 192. Sounds still loud enough on my layout for me, and a lovely throaty sound it is too. So a simple task to install sound into a DCC-Ready Class 37 with just a bit of faffing to get a snug fit. Well pleased. Oh! - and stay-alive works.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1