Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

There was the boiler tank and fuel tank with boiler tanks later getting replaced by long range fuel tanks etc, so some variations. As we previously said, we're going all out on these.

They will attach with a screw. As you can see removable weights are in the tanks for better traction.

Cheers!

Fran

IIRC all 37s were built with fuel and boiler water tanks ... even those that were originally Built as NB locos. Wasn’t the intent to fit boilers in all .... but then they were deemed to be a higher priority for Brush 4s and got transferred to that production line?

• Agree 1

When you come to do 37026, Shapfell, is it possible to double check the colour of the headcode boxes at either end?  Shapfell ended her days at Wigan and there is a lot of media of her here.  As far as I can determine, Shapfell had black indicator boxes at one end and yellow at the other.   Seems odd, but I can't find footage of her in grey livery without these mismatched boxes.

On 11/12/2020 at 08:15, Roy Langridge said:

To save you having to do that modelling, I could sell you an Accurascale one for £169.99 ;)

Roy

Problem is Roy, I have one on order from Accurascale and so do not want two. Plus, once I have the one from Accurascale I can do a bit of modelling make one or two myself. Thanks for the offer though!

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Tony Walker said:

Problem is Roy, I have one on order from Accurascale and so do not want two. Plus, once I have the one from Accurascale I can do a bit of modelling make one or two myself. Thanks for the offer though!

I meant just the radar unit (was jesting)

Roy

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

When you come to do 37026, Shapfell, is it possible to double check the colour of the headcode boxes at either end?  Shapfell ended her days at Wigan and there is a lot of media of her here.  As far as I can determine, Shapfell had black indicator boxes at one end and yellow at the other.   Seems odd, but I can't find footage of her in grey livery without these mismatched boxes.

Seemed to lose them in 1992.  Black boxes were at the fan end, but are yellow in these (non-fan end also shown in same year):

37026+37178 Crewe 04.05.1992

37026+37262 SAL 15-08-1992

Shap Fell

37026 Shap Fell & 37029, Oxford 21.5.92

37026 Carlisle (LMR4 070PF)

Then on both ends in 1995:

RNT124-11

37026 and 37426 Great Rocks

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, BR(S) said:

Seemed to lose them in 1992.  Black boxes were at the fan end, but are yellow in these (non-fan end also shown in same year):

37026+37178 Crewe 04.05.1992

37026+37262 SAL 15-08-1992

Shap Fell

37026 Shap Fell & 37029, Oxford 21.5.92

37026 Carlisle (LMR4 070PF)

Then on both ends in 1995:

RNT124-11

37026 and 37426 Great Rocks

All the above photos show 37026 with square HI headlights fitted, which later replaced the original round ScR Car type headlights.  Can't find any photos of it with Black head code boxes (at either end) with Round type headlights fitted (in R/F Dist livery)  The forthcoming Accurascale model would appear to be correct in this respect.

Edited by tractor_37260
amend text
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Paul Cram said:

What would the model of 37 have been in the Middlesbrough area in the early seventies?

Of those as built models currently on offer D6704 is the latest.... GSYP but does have data panel unlike D6702. But that is probably stretching it a bit.... and TOPs numbers started to appear 73/74 .....

If you added a data panel to D6702 and removed the D that would be later....

Edited by Phil Bullock

39 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Of those as built models currently on offer D6704 is the latest.... GSYP but does have data panel unlike D6702. But that is probably stretching it a bit.... and TOPs numbers started to appear 73/74 .....

If you added a data panel to D6702 and removed the D that would be later....

Thanks for the reply but I an still non the wisser. Is D6704 one of the propsed Accurascale models?

What is the data panel? GSYP?

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Paul Cram said:

Thanks for the reply but I an still non the wisser. Is D6704 one of the propsed Accurascale models?

What is the data panel? GSYP?

Sorry Paul.

Yes it is . A data panel is the small blue panel which appears under the number on the accurascale D6702 ... carries data such as loco class, brake force, weight etc. And GSYP is a livery annotation - Green Small Yellow Pane. GFYE - Green Full Yellow End

Hope that helps

7 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Sorry Paul.

Yes it is . A data panel is the small blue panel which appears under the number on the accurascale D6702 ... carries data such as loco class, brake force, weight etc. And GSYP is a livery annotation - Green Small Yellow Pane. GFYE - Green Full Yellow End

Hope that helps

Ah yes but my recollection is that they were blue not green.

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Better still could you consider selling packs of different style headcode boxes so we can customise them ?

For the earlier ones, making it easy to change the headcode reporting numbers would be appreciated.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

All the above detail is looking absolutely amazing and I cannot wait to receive my 3 that I have on preorder - but, I can’t help but think about the lighting. In the respect of colour and intensity. I’ll add a photo below but mentioning a certain class 66, the detail is superb yet let down by the lighting (on all variants) in colour and intensity. It amazes me that manufacturers go through so much time and effort to produce so much body detail yet to me let down by a simple but such important part such as the lights. For me, it just ruins the entire look of the loco. Looks very realistic all detailed and weathered up sat in a siding or goods shed then as soon as you switch on the lighting, it instantly looks like a toy train (yes I know that’s what they are but we are all looking for that extra realism nowadays) So, what I’m asking and looking for is weather your 37’s will blow us away with the most prototypical lighting we’ve ever seen!

CA6452AB-5B67-49AD-9716-EDE7CC90D9A3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Shoey said:

All the above detail is looking absolutely amazing and I cannot wait to receive my 3 that I have on preorder - but, I can’t help but think about the lighting. In the respect of colour and intensity. I’ll add a photo below but mentioning a certain class 66, the detail is superb yet let down by the lighting (on all variants) in colour and intensity.

I agree completely, and whilst we haven’t seen what AS have to offer, you’re right in that the aforementioned 66 model, and virtually all of the diesels released by the 'Red Team' (also beginning with H) didn’t get it right. It’s a tricky subject because it’s mainly governed by the LEDs used, which in today's models are surface mount diodes (SMD). These are available in cool white (think Hornby), warm white or yellow. Bachmann went some way to doing it 'right' on their 37s/47s etc using yellow and white LEDs/SMDs, but the colour tone was still dubious. I imagine it'd be difficult to find a solution for a manufacturer that's easy to implement and not costly - could a dye in the plastic used to mould the light guides be an option? Often manufacturers use red/pink for tail light guides and just clear for any white lights, but a subtle yellow hue might help give the correct shade. Just a thought!

In any case, most models use chassis-mounted LEDs and body-mounted light guides, or body-mounted lights as well as guides with pickups (plunger or sprung) to the chassis, so there's always room to add a wash of yellow paint or a small square of masking tape (in white or yellow and varying thickness/layers) to the light guides to achieve a better hue. If you get it right the results speak for themselves, and (especially masking tape) is easy to remove/redo should you want to. Of course, for the price point of current locos this may seem daunting for some, but a little m*delling can be done by the consumer to sort the issue.

Jack.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Shoey said:

All the above detail is looking absolutely amazing and I cannot wait to receive my 3 that I have on preorder - but, I can’t help but think about the lighting. In the respect of colour and intensity. I’ll add a photo below but mentioning a certain class 66, the detail is superb yet let down by the lighting (on all variants) in colour and intensity. It amazes me that manufacturers go through so much time and effort to produce so much body detail yet to me let down by a simple but such important part such as the lights. For me, it just ruins the entire look of the loco. Looks very realistic all detailed and weathered up sat in a siding or goods shed then as soon as you switch on the lighting, it instantly looks like a toy train (yes I know that’s what they are but we are all looking for that extra realism nowadays) So, what I’m asking and looking for is weather your 37’s will blow us away with the most prototypical lighting we’ve ever seen!

CA6452AB-5B67-49AD-9716-EDE7CC90D9A3.jpeg

Hi @Shoey,

As I explained on the Class 92 thread regarding lighting we are putting a lot of effort in this area on our locos including the Class 37 too. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Shoey,

As I explained on the Class 92 thread regarding lighting we are putting a lot of effort in this area on our locos including the Class 37 too. 

Cheers!

Fran

Thank you for your reply Fran, brilliant! Say no more. I have every confidence in all at Accurascale that you will be raising the bar at the highest we have seen :good:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Fran,

Do you have an approximate arrival date of when the first batch will hopefully start to appear?  As mine is nearly paid for, just starting to drool at the thought of getting my grubby mitts on it :D

Edited by jools1959
Typo

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Hi Fran,

Do you have an approximate arrival date of when the first batch will hopefully start to appear?  As mine is nearly paid for, just starting to drool at the thought of getting my grubby mitts on it :D

Hi Jools,

As per our last update it's Q2 2021 https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/class-37-project-update

We post project updates under the "What's New" tab which gives delivery dates of every in progress project, so always worth a look! Though we do have some new 37 news coming very soon!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Jools,

As per our last update it's Q2 2021 https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/class-37-project-update

We post project updates under the "What's New" tab which gives delivery dates of every in progress project, so always worth a look! Though we do have some new 37 news coming very soon!

Cheers,

Fran

Is that the thrash of a pair of D66xx on the Waterston - Albion tanks I hear in the distance? ;);)

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Welcome to Tractor Tuesday, where we reveal the first tooling sample of our Class 37! 

We received a bundle of parts from the factory recently for inspection and cobbled together a first sample to show you here. Of course, there are still plenty of parts missing, and overall fit and finish will be improved on production models, but so far, so tasty!

For more pics and more info, check out our latest blog! https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/a-first-look-at-our-class-37

Cheers!

Fran

Very first impression: it has more of a "presence" than the Bachmann model and nice to see there's no large gap between bogies and body.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1