Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Model Rail Magazine Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2T in 009

phil gollin

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I am sorry to ask the most annoying question, but do we know what the tightest track radius it will handle please ?

(in terms of Peco OO-9 set track).

(Kind note for other posters, I'm interested in seeing if it will suit my layout and I am not insisting that it should cope with every piece of settrack out there. I already have 1 Heljan 2-6-2 which is very limited to where it can run).

The original project brief was that the loco should be able to traverse a minimum radius curve of 457mm. However, during our shake down tests, it comfortably ran around 263.5mm radius curves. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I note that the coupling pockets are separate to the pony trucks, which adds greatly to the realism, though I suspect that will affect the curves the loco will negotiate while hauling stock. No something I'm concerned with, as my tightest bit of track is a run round loop, where a loco will run light, but it may be an issue for others. Minimum radius the loco will negotiate is a useful factor for planning, but minimum radius the loco will haul around is just as useful.

Very much looking forward to seeing what looks to be an excellent model progress

Cheers

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Revolution Mike B said:

Thank you. 

We worked closely with the VoR to ensure we replicated the motion as near to the original as we could within the constraints of the model. 

The motion looks very good indeed.  Does the valve rod move as it almost looks from comparing photos that it might

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Southdean said:

What cab height has been modelled, the original, the rebuilt (taller) after the British Rail era, or the more recent compromise between the two?

Hi there,

All models will have the cab height as shown in the EP, however we have cab roof options with and without the ventilator hatch.

cheers

Ben A.

10 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

What is it going to cost?

Just by dead reckoning, the announced spec and supposition from the outside, I would think it reasonable that the prices would be approximately those of the Penhryn ‘ladies’ from Bachmann

Edited by Edge

Earlier in the thread drt7uk asked about possible livery options. I don't know of a website with all the liveries but the book The Vale of Rheidol Railway in Detail, published by the railway, documents the liveries that have been carried:  

GWR era:
Unlined GWR green - GREAT WESTERN on tanks (locos 7, 8, 1213)
Unlined GWR green - shirtbutton on tanks (probably 1213 only)
Unlined GWR green - GWR on tanks (7 only)
Unlettered plain green (7,8 only)

BR era:
Unlettered plain black (1213 only)
Plain black with BR early emblem on tanks (1213 only)
Plain green with BR early emblem on tanks (7, 8 only)
BR lined passenger green - late emblem, nameplates added (7, 8, 9*)

*formerly 1213
BR simplified lined passenger green - late emblem (7, 8, 9)
Unlined BR blue (7, 8, 9)
Lined BR blue (7, 8 , 9)

BR era 'historic' liveries:
Plain GWR green, shirtbutton on cab side (8)
Yellow ochre (9)
Cambrian black, CAMBRIAN on tanks (8)
Lined BR green, late emblem on cab side (7)

Under Brecon Mountain Railway ownership:
Plain green (7)
Lined green (fairly similar to the Talyllyn railway 'standard' livery (7)
BMR lined red (9)

Under current ownership all three locos have reverted to GWR green with GREAT WESTERN on the tanks. 9 has also appeared in plain black with early emblem in recent years (as in PaulRhB's photo on page 6 of this thread) but this isn't documented in the book. Under BR ownership the locos were assigned TOPS numbers - class 98 loco numbers 98007 to 98009 - but these numbers were not carried in service.
There have been numerous alterations to the locos over the years, from the removal of the steam heating pipes on the front buffer beams (present on the EP) in 1938, to the additions of name plates and smokebox number plates in the BR era, conversion for some years to oil firing, air brakes replacing vacuum brakes, heightened cabs, reduced cabs, etc.,  so the producers of these models will have their work cut out to ensure all is accurate. But the EPs look very promising indeed – will these be the most detailed and accurate 009 RTR loco to date?  I particularly like the cutaways inside the frames to allow the pony trucks more swing (I modified my Heljan Manning Wardle by thinning the inside of the frames in similar style, using a Dremel with a sanding attachment, and can report that it isn't a procedure for the faint hearted). 
It will be interesting to see if other manufacturers follow the Model Rail / Revolution lead by producing some VofR rolling stock - Peco or Fourdees perhaps. Here's hoping.           

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/09/2023 at 18:04, Edge said:

Just by dead reckoning, the announced spec and supposition from the outside, I would think it reasonable that the prices would be approximately those of the Penhryn ‘ladies’ from Bachmann

I wonder?  The 'mainline' Hunslets are 0-4-0 compared witn a 2-6=2 Rheidol tank and have far simpler motion plus a much smaller body.   So on the base of sheer size and assemb.y complexity the Rheidol engines will have cost more to tool,will use more materials and require more labour to assemble.  So all of that is going to put them some way from the 'mainline' Hunslets.

Clearly retail price is not just about costs but is also influenced by other things and some of those things vary between 'mainufacturers' which clouds the issue of price comparisons.  But however those things work the content alone is going to push them some way above those Hunslets and perhaps even towards the Fairlies.  We really can't guesstimate what they will cost but I won't be in the least surprised to see them coming in north of the £200 mark although those of us who subscribe to MR might find our price is a whisker below £200 if we're lucky.

Whatever we might think isn't really relevant because we won't decide how much they will cost but rather whether or not we are able/prepared to pay however much that might be in order to own one..  As I said - the time to start saving is now.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder?  The 'mainline' Hunslets are 0-4-0 compared witn a 2-6=2 Rheidol tank and have far simpler motion plus a much smaller body.   So on the base of sheer size and assemb.y complexity the Rheidol engines will have cost more to tool,will use more materials and require more labour to assemble.  So all of that is going to put them some way from the 'mainline' Hunslets.

Clearly retail price is not just about costs but is also influenced by other things and some of those things vary between 'mainufacturers' which clouds the issue of price comparisons.  But however those things work the content alone is going to push them some way above those Hunslets and perhaps even towards the Fairlies.  We really can't guesstimate what they will cost but I won't be in the least surprised to see them coming in north of the £200 mark although those of us who subscribe to MR might find our price is a whisker below £200 if we're lucky.

Whatever we might think isn't really relevant because we won't decide how much they will cost but rather whether or not we are able/prepared to pay however much that might be in order to own one..  As I said - the time to start saving is now.

Spot on, if they cost the same as the Penryn Ladies, I will be pleasantly surprised. Fully expecting another £50-£75 on top.

Roy

• Agree 2

In fairness, I did caveat my comment with a large number of ‘im probably wrong’ headers :) 

just south of £200 is where larger 009 locos seem to be now. The L&B locos, the Maknline hunslets etc. so I’m hopeful that an RRP below £200 is possible, but that it won’t be far below £200

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

On 07/09/2023 at 22:42, Dingolatic said:

Earlier in the thread drt7uk asked about possible livery options. I don't know of a website with all the liveries but the book The Vale of Rheidol Railway in Detail, published by the railway, documents the liveries that have been carried:  

Thanks for this, really informative!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/09/2023 at 22:42, Dingolatic said:

@Dingolatic I'm particularly interested in the pre-GWR liveries, do you mind sharing info on that please?

For example, is there more information on the livery that's displayed on the front of the book? 

9780954454647-300x300.png

I also wondered if there was a colourised version of this photo or at least an explanation to the livery colours for the below photo from before 1910. I like the intricate lining!

aberystwyth_vor_original_ station.jpg

Thank you 

Edited by drt7uk
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2023 at 19:35, cctransuk said:

Didn't it purport to be an 'interpretation' of the Cambrian Railways livery?

Whatever - it was NOT a good idea!  🤮

CJI.

On the other hand, the original livery seems to have been a dark ochre which I think looks great! (See my post above)

7 hours ago, drt7uk said:

@Dingolatic I'm particularly interested in the pre-GWR liveries, do you mind sharing info on that please?

The original two locos arrived from the Davies & Metcalfe works in grey primer, to be painted at Aberystwyth "in the LB&SCR yellow ochre...with paint sent up...from Brighton Works". This is the livery displayed on the dust cover of the Vale of Rheidol in Detail book. This livery appears much more sober than than the garish 'yellow ochre' livery applied to loco 9 in the 1982.
In 1908, number 2 was repainted in a double-lined green livery (the intricately lined livery in the photo above) and loco 1 followed suit in 1910. When the Cambrian Railways took over the running of the line the locos initially retained the intricate livery but nameplates were removed and CAMBRIAN RAILWAYS transfers were added to the cab sides. At some stage, presumably during WW1, the locos were repainted into "shiny black" with CAMBRIAN on the tanks (loco 1) and "plain lead grey" (loco 2).

When the GWR assumed control, loco 2 was given GWR numberplates (GWR number 1213) but doesn't appear to have been repainted before being taken to Swindon and scrapped. Loco 1 was renumbered 1212, rebuilt at Swindon and painted into GWR loco green with GREAT WESTERN on the tanks. It was kept as a spare engine, but the three new GWR-built locos were more than capable of doing the work on the line, so 1212 didn't see much use and was scrapped in 1935. 

The only representation of these two original locos that I'm aware of in 009 is the white-metal Chivers kit.    

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2023 at 08:54, Revolution Ben said:

Hello all,

I have received a couple of extra images taken by Jacques, Model Rail's in-house photographer, and I thought those who haven't had the chance to see the latest issue of the magazine might find them interesting.

VoREPpic2LOWRES.jpg.16cc94e93fbce8c47e53e739ec1a0e1f.jpgVoREPpic4LOWRES.jpg.b94f3cfd926edf4f5a116522dd69f2a2.jpgVoREPpic7LOWRES.jpg.b8e95bce612e8cfea69fdfdc23f65c64.jpgVoREPpic8LOWRES.jpg.2d491e4a7e0b4b5a776cbfb82f30f759.jpg

The model is now undergoing running tests on DC, and will then be assessed for DCC and sound performance.

As ever, these are EP1 samples designed to check fit and enable any obvious issues to be identified.  They are assembled using the first mouldings to be shot from the new tooling, and for prouction the tools will be checked, polished and any flashing or fit issues addressed.

The next step is for feedback on any running problems to be addressed, and then decorated samples to be prepared to check colours/fonts etc.  Because it is not cost effective to set up the mould machine for two sets of sampling, the decorated samples are usually assembled using spare mouldings from the first shots, so often shape corrections aren't seen until final production samples are ready.  This is why, when corrections are suggested, they can seem to have been 'missed' when the decorated samples are shown later.

cheers

Ben A.

Absolutely stunning!  I agree with what's been said about the valve gear, it really has the chunky look of the real things.  That looks in part to be through the use of cast parts rather than brass etches or stampings.  The cab detail is great too.  A personal thing, I don't like locos with lamps moulded/glued on, are the lamps going to be removable?  These are looking set to be the best rtr OO9 locos produced yet.  I hope they run as well as they look, and the livery application matches the design quality.  Fingers crossed for the 3 liveries I want!

Cheers

Rick

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Was good to see the prototype model run on the Clyre Valley railway yesterday, did anyone see what happened when it got to the fiddle yard? Did it not fit through the hole in the backscene?

Very impressive looking model though, captures the chunky look well

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JIJ said:

did anyone see what happened when it got to the fiddle yard? Did it not fit through the hole in the backscene?

It did fit through the lower fiddle yard but it was very tight as the layout is built tight around Tim’s stock which isn’t as wide as the chunky VoR tanks ;) 

We fed back a couple of small suggestions to ModelRail but we’re impressed with the look and feel, it’s a prototype but it was very well detailed and grabbed our attention. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

For anyone that wasn’t at the Warley Exhibition over the weekend, myself and George from Model Rail Magazine were kindly given the opportunity to test the Vale of Rheidol loco EP sample on the Clyre Valley model railway both on Saturday and Sunday. The loco drew much attention, so much so that I struggled to get a decent video due to so many people clambering to do the same! 

For a first EP, it ran better than expected and although there’s a few minor points that need attention, the overall opinion was that we’ve done a good job - which is very pleasing to hear.

The next step is to provide feedback to the factory so that we can make some adjustments. 

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Revolution Mike B said:

For anyone that wasn’t at the Warley Exhibition over the weekend, myself and George from Model Rail Magazine were kindly given the opportunity to test the Vale of Rheidol loco EP sample on the Clyre Valley model railway both on Saturday and Sunday. The loco drew much attention, so much so that I struggled to get a decent video due to so many people clambering to do the same! 

For a first EP, it ran better than expected and although there’s a few minor points that need attention, the overall opinion was that we’ve done a good job - which is very pleasing to hear.

The next step is to provide feedback to the factory so that we can make some adjustments. 

Any idea as to when pre-orders will be up for the models?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

Any idea as to when pre-orders will be up for the models?

That’s down to George at ModelRail he was reassuringly interested in feedback and obviously wants it to be good. I’ll stick my neck out and guess they’ll open once they are happy the EP is tweaked and ready to go. 
Its certainly finer than the Heljan models and compared well sat alongside the classic Backwoods kitbuilt version Tim has. 

• Thanks 1