Model Rail Magazine Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2T in 009

phil gollin

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Wasn’t there a white metal body kit for them as well, as with a lot of well-known NG prototypes in 009? I’m not sure who made it though.

Chivers Finelines

They also do the Davies & Metcalfe original version as RC15

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Moxy said:

Once they were on the standard gauge bit from Aberystwyth to Swindon, they wouldn't be under their own power, they would be a load on the back of a wagon, so it would be the wagon's TOPS number that would be relevant in that case.

I wonder when one last went to Swindon for overhaul?  The implication in Green's book is that the last Swindon visit was in 1978 - anyone have any solid information?

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder when one last went to Swindon for overhaul?  The implication in Green's book is that the last Swindon visit was in 1978 - anyone have any solid information?

There’s a photo of No 9 there August 76 …. See PM , can’t share publicly

Phil

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Moxy said:

Once they were on the standard gauge bit from Aberystwyth to Swindon, they wouldn't be under their own power, they would be a load on the back of a wagon, so it would be the wagon's TOPS number that would be relevant in that case.

Wouldn’t it still be useful to know where the loco was though (i.e. in works at Swindon for overhaul, not in service)? But agreed, being able to work out its precise location on its way to Swindon on a wagon wouldn’t have been hugely important.

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

How long did Swindon retain the ability to overhaul steam locos? It would presumably only have been the VoR ones by that point (unless they serviced/overhauled any of the steam cranes that stayed in service, or did outside work on other preserved locos).

• Like 1

I know the livery options will be released in due course, but out of interest is there a website that lists every livery these locos were ever in? With pictures of course :)

just want to start ruminating on which one(s) I'm going to get!

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

How long did Swindon retain the ability to overhaul steam locos? It would presumably only have been the VoR ones by that point (unless they serviced/overhauled any of the steam cranes that stayed in service, or did outside work on other preserved locos).

Swindon definitely did some work on steam engines for outside parties in its later years although I'm not sure when it did its last job.  However by the time of the preparations for 1985's GW 150 it was definitely well past its ability to handle any major work hence, for example 'City of Truro' being overhauled on the SVR.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Swindon definitely did some work on steam engines for outside parties in its later years although I'm not sure when it did its last job.  However by the time of the preparations for 1985's GW 150 it was definitely well past its ability to handle any major work hence, for example 'City of Truro' being overhauled on the SVR.

Did Swindon do any work on Duchess of Hamilton after it left Minehead in 1975/76?

On 26/11/2019 at 13:57, Steamport Southport said:

But you can have a yellow one as Prince Of Wales was yellow at one point.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/77/55/775530_e9a5cd85.jpg

© Copyright John Firth and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Jason

How come it was painted yellow ochre? Was it ever painted this way pre-BR days? Just wondered if there was an explanation

9 minutes ago, drt7uk said:

How come it was painted yellow ochre? Was it ever painted this way pre-BR days? Just wondered if there was an explanation

Didn't it purport to be an 'interpretation' of the Cambrian Railways livery?

Whatever - it was NOT a good idea!  🤮

CJI.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Didn't it purport to be an 'interpretation' of the Cambrian Railways livery?

Whatever - it was NOT a good idea!  🤮

CJI.

It was meant to be the original livery of the Vale of Rheidol company before it was absorbed by the Cambrian.

I think at the time, the official story was still that No.9 was a rebuild of the orginal Davies & Metcalfe Prince of Wales. This has now generally acknowledged to be a fiction for accountancy purposes and that No 9 was a brand new engine constructed largely from spare parts manufactured for the other two new locos.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

It was meant to be the original livery of the Vale of Rheidol company before it was absorbed by the Cambrian.

I think at the time, the official story was still that No.9 was a rebuild of the orginal Davies & Metcalfe Prince of Wales. This has now generally acknowledged to be a fiction for accountancy purposes and that No 9 was a brand new engine constructed largely from spare parts manufactured for the other two new locos.

It has appeared much more recently in Cambrian ‘invisible green’ as well.

Leaving that aside, how many liveries have the other two appeared in? Obviously GWR green although I’m not sure how many versions of it, BR green and the different versions of the blue double arrow livery, and that takes us up to the late BR/early privatisation period (not sure what terminology is best here as it was effectively already ‘preserved’ while still under BR ownership and obviously ‘privatisation’ was very different and slightly earlier than on the  standard gauge network). Were there any black GWR liveries (during the war, for instance)? More recently it probably gets a bit more complicated - I can’t remember which one but wasn’t one of them painted in a red livery at one stage, derived from the DR livery worn by Graf Schwerin Lowitz at Brecon when the two lines were in common ownership?

• RMweb Premium
On 01/09/2023 at 15:51, The Stationmaster said:

Only one livery for them in my view - and memory  - of them.  BR late emblem and fully lined green bulled up with all the brightwork shining even in the gloom of the original shed. Then round to the station to see them coupled to stock not long repainted in WR 'chocolate & cream' and all ready for the run up the valley in the days before the Forestry Commission plastered the view with umpteen fir trees.  Real signals on the way, staffed stations, and run like a miniature of the standard gauge railway.

Yes it's a bit disappointing to see them un-named and in the relatively austere GWR livery, but apparently the late owner of the line detested the nationalised railway and didn't want his line to reflect any aspect of it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

The way it was accounted for was what mattered.  As a 'rebuild' the money would have come from the revenue account, if new build the money would come from the capital account (together with a write-off of the original engine in the revenue account).   From what various people who were involved on he GWR have written (and no doubt the same applied on the other railways) this difference in availability and use of funds was important and had an impact on the company's overall accounts.

• Agree 1

Picked up the latest model rail in walsall yesterday. Won’t reproduce the news spread here for obvious reasons, but the loco looks sensational. Easily the equal of models like the Penhryn mainline hunslets.

BR Blue, Ochre and Cambrian black for me please. I like weird liveries :)

(obviously not all on the same loco 😜)

hell, if there is a freelance southern railway livery on the cards, I’ll grab one of those too  

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Edge said:

Picked up the latest model rail in walsall yesterday. Won’t reproduce the news spread here for obvious reasons, but the loco looks sensational. Easily the equal of models like the Penhryn mainline hunslets.

BR Blue, Ochre and Cambrian black for me please. I like weird liveries :)

(obviously not all on the same loco 😜)

hell, if there is a freelance southern railway livery on the cards, I’ll grab one of those too  

Hattons have a single image of the EP on their website, for those of us who haven’t managed to get to the newsagents (yet) to pick up a copy of the magazine!

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hello all,

I have received a couple of extra images taken by Jacques, Model Rail's in-house photographer, and I thought those who haven't had the chance to see the latest issue of the magazine might find them interesting.

VoREPpic2LOWRES.jpg.16cc94e93fbce8c47e53e739ec1a0e1f.jpgVoREPpic4LOWRES.jpg.b94f3cfd926edf4f5a116522dd69f2a2.jpgVoREPpic7LOWRES.jpg.b8e95bce612e8cfea69fdfdc23f65c64.jpgVoREPpic8LOWRES.jpg.2d491e4a7e0b4b5a776cbfb82f30f759.jpg

The model is now undergoing running tests on DC, and will then be assessed for DCC and sound performance.

As ever, these are EP1 samples designed to check fit and enable any obvious issues to be identified.  They are assembled using the first mouldings to be shot from the new tooling, and for prouction the tools will be checked, polished and any flashing or fit issues addressed.

The next step is for feedback on any running problems to be addressed, and then decorated samples to be prepared to check colours/fonts etc.  Because it is not cost effective to set up the mould machine for two sets of sampling, the decorated samples are usually assembled using spare mouldings from the first shots, so often shape corrections aren't seen until final production samples are ready.  This is why, when corrections are suggested, they can seem to have been 'missed' when the decorated samples are shown later.

cheers

Ben A.

Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing

• Agree 2

H=

23 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hello all,

I have received a couple of extra images taken by Jacques, Model Rail's in-house photographer, and I thought those who haven't had the chance to see the latest issue of the magazine might find them interesting.

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

That looks fantastic, do you have dimensions per chance? I'm building a 009 layout and want to make sure I leave enough clearance for these!

Simon

3 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hello all,

VoREPpic2LOWRES.jpg.16cc94e93fbce8c47e53e739ec1a0e1f.jpgVoREPpic4LOWRES.jpg.b94f3cfd926edf4f5a116522dd69f2a2.jpgVoREPpic7LOWRES.jpg.b8e95bce612e8cfea69fdfdc23f65c64.jpgVoREPpic8LOWRES.jpg.2d491e4a7e0b4b5a776cbfb82f30f759.jpg

The model is now undergoing running tests on DC, and will then be assessed for DCC and sound performance.

As ever, these are EP1 samples designed to check fit and enable any obvious issues to be identified.  They are assembled using the first mouldings to be shot from the new tooling, and for prouction the tools will be checked, polished and any flashing or fit issues addressed.

The next step is for feedback on any running problems to be addressed, and then decorated samples to be prepared to check colours/fonts etc.  Because it is not cost effective to set up the mould machine for two sets of sampling, the decorated samples are usually assembled using spare mouldings from the first shots, so often shape corrections aren't seen until final production samples are ready.  This is why, when corrections are suggested, they can seem to have been 'missed' when the decorated samples are shown later.

cheers

Ben A.

I am sorry to ask the most annoying question, but do we know what the tightest track radius it will handle please ?

(in terms of Peco OO-9 set track).

(Kind note for other posters, I'm interested in seeing if it will suit my layout and I am not insisting that it should cope with every piece of settrack out there. I already have 1 Heljan 2-6-2 which is very limited to where it can run).