Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Should have bought a second powered NDM when they came out. Just sayin’

To be honest that’s the daft thing as they’d have encouraged more sales if they’d played it safe and said yes you will need it! ;) 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Tbh i’m not sure why anyone is surprised.

for me ive already been here twice before…

The last Brighton Belle couldn't pull itself with the revised pickups… i ended ip swapping the wheels for vep wheels (with tyres).

My Coronation couldn't pull the coronation set last year.

When you mention it to Hornby the response was “oh your the first person who's mentioned it”, which I took for a coded reply of “its you not us”.

Edited by adb968008

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

which I took for a coded reply of “its you not us”.

Such tarts! They always told me I was their one and only!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Such tarts! They always told me I was their one and only!

They tell all the Journos that Andy……you need to get back on the horse and visit another manufacturer as soon as possible :lol:

• Agree 1

Hornby apt looks like a nice model. Just think it’s overpriced for what it is. If u look at rapido apt-e it’s stand out a mile regards quality and finish. That’s were Hornby apt needs to be. It just looks cheap for the price u got to pay for it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The real thing is a great looking train, and I hope your 14 car sets make it along well, I’m guessing it’ll be ideal at blasting round a layout rather than slow speed shunting .

I was thinking if the real thing had been a success how dull the WCML would have been 10-15 years earlier than it was with the pendolino takeover .

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Walkes07 said:

Hornby apt looks like a nice model. Just think it’s overpriced for what it is. If u look at rapido apt-e it’s stand out a mile regards quality and finish. That’s were Hornby apt needs to be. It just looks cheap for the price u got to pay for it. 

Already addressed in the topic as a fallacy. And please don't use 'u'; we're not an SMS or Twitter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

To be honest that’s the daft thing as they’d have encouraged more sales if they’d played it safe and said yes you will need it! ;) 

I suspect what happened was a lack of joined up thinking at Hornby. When the apt was announced  I contacted Hornby customer services to enquire about the make up of the 5 and 7 car sets and whether the 2 ndms in the 7 car set were powered. They passed this to one of the development team  who responded to me and I posted the response earlier in this thread. I was told that the 7 car set had one powered and one unpowered ndm.  He said that Hornby envisaged that those wanting the 14 car make up would start from the 5 car set, which was why the stand alone extra ndm was powered and numbered for that set. I suspect Hornby originally intended the 7 car set to stand alone and that the extra cars would be numbered for the 5 car prototype. In the end they decided to make the additional coaches for both 5 and 7 car packs, but didn't change the spec for the unpowered ndm in the 7 car set. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by rembrow
Correction
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Already addressed in the topic as a fallacy. And please don't use 'u'; we're not an SMS or Twitter.

Sorry did not realised it has already been addressed. 

39 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Edited by Walkes07
Missed typed

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, rembrow said:

I suspect Hornby originally intended the 7 csr set to stand alone and that the extra cars would be numbered for the 5 car prototype. In the end they decided to make the additional coaches for both 5 and 7 car packs, but didn't changebthe spec for the unpowered ndm in the 7 car set. Hope that makes sense.

Your comment does and it’s not like Hornby weren’t prodded to make them realise it ;) I first talked to Paul Isles about it and asked again after Paul left in case it got lost in his leaving. 
That’s why I’m a bit perplexed as to why they have failed to give a straight answer or alter the spec. Both times the response was we need to see what it’s capable of. I suggested a motorising kit for the dummy as an option but as I pointed out above both the data sheet and website remain listing only the coach packs and specifically list the 7 car set, surely they test them on gradients? ;)

Fortunately I found one but I didn’t want to spend £110 on a spare I didn’t actually need so held off until someone, and it wasn’t Hornby, answered the question. 

It looks superb to my eyes and I’ve been very happy with my recent Hornby models so I’m not trying to slam them but their customer service info is contradictory or waffle with no answers on this. It’s been frustrating when you know how random the availability is and I’ve been mucked around further by their tier system cancelling my original order completely. It’s not a cheap model so if I’m spending £1000 I’d like it to work ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, rembrow said:

I suspect what happened was a lack of joined up thinking at Hornby. When the apt was announced  I contacted Hornby customer services to enquire about the make up of the 5 and 7 car sets and whether the 2 ndms in the 7 car set were powered. They passed this to one of the development team  who responded to me and I posted the response earlier in this thread. I was told that the 7 car set had one powered and one unpowered ndm.  He said that Hornby envisaged that those wanting the 14 car make up would start from the 5 car set, which was why the stand alone extra ndm was powered and numbered for that set. I suspect Hornby originally intended the 7 car set to stand alone and that the extra cars would be numbered for the 5 car prototype. In the end they decided to make the additional coaches for both 5 and 7 car packs, but didn't change the spec for the unpowered ndm in the 7 car set. Hope that makes sense.

Seriously? I don't have a Maths degree but 2x7 = 14

2x5 = 10

okay disregarding the trailers it is less outlay to buy 2 coaches instead of 6? 

I'm really getting that 'first world problems' vibe with this thread. A certain fantasist a few years ago promised a full length APT which didn't materialise and lost a number of people money in the process. Now Hornby have

- delivered an actual APT-P

- made it in both livery variations

- made all the intermediate coaches

- made a powered NDM available as a standalone item

and still the tone is - well - lukewarm. I mean, a 14 coach train is a behemoth! And the real thing rarely ran in the full formation. I think the production of this particular model is really beyond the wildest dreams for many of us.

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 3

13 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Seriously? I don't have a Maths degree but 2x7 = 14

2x5 = 10

okay disregarding the trailers it is less outlay to buy 2 coaches instead of 6? 

Except the 7 car set has the development coach  which didn't operate in the 14 car set, so you have to remove that vehicle and add in 4 two car additional coach packs to make a prototype 14 car set. The 5 car set has all it's vehicles available for a potential 14 coach rake. I've gone for tbe 7 coach set as I wanted the later black window surround and have purchased a powered ndm, which I may change the body with tbe unpowered one in the set, if I can get it apart, as the pantogrsph removal looks difficult.

6 hours ago, MoonM said:

Anyone who is much better at either physics or engineering than me... Would we expect the performance to be better when pushing more coaches or pulling more coaches? Again, thinking what is likely a better scenario for those like me planning on running 10 or 11 cars with the power car offset from the middle of the train? 

With the driven wheels in the centre of the rake the performance/running charectoristics will be the same in either direction. The Piko & Trix ICE-3's have this configeration.

If you have driven wheels at each end they will need to be matched very well & with 14 cars you will often have them unmatched as far as gradiants &/or track curvature is concerned.

Can you imagine the result if you are running at full tilt with driven wheels at each end & the "front" set stalls for any reason ? Possibly, a scale 380' drop to a hard & unyeilding surface.

I've got 8 coaches & a spare NDM waiting for the 7 car set to arrive

If I want to run a 14 car set I have 2 choices,

1 do a body swap on the NDM's & have number matching set

2  Just use the second powered NDM as is & have a set without matching numbers

If I go with the second choice 

1, who will notice 

or

2, If I understand correctly, the porotype run without number matched sets

John

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I think there is also a livery difference between the two NDMs, cantrail stripes? 

What pantographs will the seven car set carry? 

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

I think there is also a livery difference between the two NDMs, cantrail stripes? 

What pantographs will the seven car set carry? 

Andi

Does the livery difference extend beyond just the black on the cabs?
And I believe the pantographs should just unscrew and swap over.