Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, rembrow said:

well I have the box in front of me and the outer cover is printed with a red flash at the corner 'sets 370 003 & 370 004'

Surely not from Mr Details, details, details :swoon:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I've run my 14 car set on an admittedly flat but bumpy layout, with tight corners, at full speed, with one motorised power car, no issues at all. In fact I'm annoyed I wasted money on an extra powered NDM.

I'd recommend people take this on a case by case basis. Some people may need the extra motor car, others like myself will not. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I've run my 14 car set on an admittedly flat but bumpy layout, with tight corners, at full speed, with one motorised power car, no issues at all. In fact I'm annoyed I wasted money on an extra powered NDM.

I'd recommend people take this on a case by case basis. Some people may need the extra motor car, others like myself will not. 

DC or DCC?

Its also interesting there is no depiction of the capacitor in the intermediate trailer box artwork and that the photos of the model in the Hornby ad for the train are carefully posed so you can't see them.

Paul R

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

If you want to sell it please send me a DM

Paul R

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

The train-shaped chopsticks are fun. Maybe Hornby could do some APT ones!

Haha I actually had a set given to me while I was working there, they were Shinkansen shaped, my colleagues (the Japanese ones)thought it amusing the fact I took three suitcases* to Japan and only one was full of clothes, they were all very full every time I returned.

I am excellent with chopsticks now…..and fast :lol:

*stacking type, so the smallest one inside the other two had my clothes in.

1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

I reckon we should see how many APTs we can get in one place...

Andi

I can muster 16 new Hornby version vehicles, 6 original and 5 scratchbuilt. I’m sure between us we can recreate more than the 30 odd vehicles that were actually built

• Agree 1

My 7 car set has gone back

The NDM could not reliably get around corners and over pointwork by itself, it had a plethora of minor problems with the wheels offset, too wide and too much lateral play. Because of that the wheels don't pull the bogie around which is necessary to get the tilt and that, together with lack of weight meant that the bogies would lift and derail.

In the end that convinced me a replacement would not solve the problem, as well as the fact that one of the pantographs keep falling apart.

and unfortunately the NDM working reliably is vital to the whole set

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, AshleyH said:

Hornby could gain some goodwill here by producing an upgrade kit consisting of all the parts necessary to motorise the dummy power car from the 7 car train pack. If this was sold at a reasonable price, surely sub £80 , I think there would be a lot of interest.

wasn’t the R3948 single NDM liveried to match the 5 car train pack anyway, necessitating a body swap?

To redress the balance, I received my 7 car train pack yesterday, and so far it is faultless.  No damage to pantographs or bogies etc. Faultless livery application, I love some of the details such as the etched grills on the NDMs and driving trailers. I was initially going to pass and live with my 1982 version, but I saw a friend’s new 7 car train pack over the weekend and I opened my wallet!

Expensive, yes. Annoyed at the second 10% price hike, yes. But there are many 4 car EMUs around the £400 mark now from a certain blue box manufacturer, so 7 cars for a little over £500…..mmmm. 

I may well have forgotten something in the past but I can’t think of a time when modern Hornby have ever produced something that requires such a level of expertise/confidence to use it. I can’t ever imagine them producing something like this, the claims alone from inexperienced people breaking their NDMs trying to fit it could be crippling.  Even the chassis replacement for chassis rot was based on Hornby doing the work wasn’t it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, pwr said:

Its also interesting there is no depiction of the capacitor in the intermediate trailer box artwork and that the photos of the model in the Hornby ad for the train are carefully posed so you can't see them.

Paul R

Artwork not matching the model isn't a new thing for the big H.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, WestRail642fan said:

So, any advice on how to fix the faulty lighting on my TBF?

First off I’d check the contacts are actually touching the wheels by turning it upside down. And with the axle pushed towards the frame see if paper will slide between without moving it. Tweak them towards the wheel with tweezers or pliers. I disabled mine and found they bent off very easily so not sure there’s a lot of spring in them. 
If that doesn’t help you could check the wires are soldered to the pickups correctly. If neither of those work then it’s probably a break inside the wire that makes contact when turned so you or Hornby might need to replace the wire. 

6 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

First off I’d check the contacts are actually touching the wheels by turning it upside down. And with the axle pushed towards the frame see if paper will slide between without moving it. Tweak them towards the wheel with tweezers or pliers. I disabled mine and found they bent off very easily so not sure there’s a lot of spring in them. 
If that doesn’t help you could check the wires are soldered to the pickups correctly. If neither of those work then it’s probably a break inside the wire that makes contact when turned so you or Hornby might need to replace the wire. 

the pickups are contacting the wheels perfectly fine but i have bent them slightly to make sure they make proper contact. I cant open it up as all my screw drivers have too small heads

5 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

Ok, i now know why this has happened, the red wire coming from the pickup has broken free from solder holding it down to the pickup

Another example of poor quality control!   I have to say its not unique to Hornby. Dapol and Heljan both have their problems

Paul R