Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2022 at 21:21, Markwj said:

Thanks for the comparison photos until you posted I had no clue just how far out (assuming the new model is accurate) the older model is. Quite an eye opener (well for me anyway).

hmm, don’t think I’ll be able to unsee that comparison. Still sticking with my childhood version though, if I’d not got that I’d 100% go for a new one. Oh well, back to chopping up old coaches, just a TS to make and wait for spraying weather to finish them off….

DSC_0031.JPG.eaabbac24e307d8d41ba94663d96b21d.JPG

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My only "experience" of Rocket Railways is their occasional featuring in the ebay madness thread so it's interesting to see that side of them. I see that video as a middle finger to Hornby on how they have treated their stockists, even with the inaccuracies (to be honest I skipped most of the history part of the video - if you want an APT you probably know about it already?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

hmm, don’t think I’ll be able to unsee that comparison. Still sticking with my childhood version though, if I’d not got that I’d 100% go for a new one. Oh well, back to chopping up old coaches, just a TS to make and wait for sprayin* weather to finish them off….

018B919D-136F-46C8-8C4C-414FA8B81E18.jpeg.39b9f27fc3f062df0a8daac3949ba772.jpeg

At least no one can argue against the fact that the 80's couplings were far better! 

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

My only "experience" of Rocket Railways is their occasional featuring in the ebay madness thread so it's interesting to see that side of them. I see that video as a middle finger to Hornby on how they have treated their stockists, even with the inaccuracies (to be honest I skipped most of the history part of the video - if you want an APT you probably know about it already?

I'll give my 2 cents worth on the youtube clip. They are a tier 3 shop and for good reason, there shop is a mess (and that's polite), its really hard to find, i had to ask someone walking around how i get to it. They sell mostly second hand stuff (but its not cheap), their new products are far and few between. Captain Tom 66 for £240, yes going rate these days but don't claim to be supporting lower prices when you are clearly out to make a big margin on that item.
Every video they post is a dig at Hornby, well if you despise them so much stop been a retailer, simple. Focus on other manufactories.

To me smacks of bitterness, i won't be going back that's for sure.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, scumcat said:

Yes I did this before I fitted them. I’ve given up on them absolute rubbish. And the company still haven’t contacted me even though I email them. I’ve been to told to phone them but I’m not up to that.

If you bought them on eBay - put in a request for refund because item is faulty

They will respond pretty quickly to that

1 hour ago, Bloodnok said:

Perhaps Hornby shouldn't have been using them to promote the new APT then.

It rather suggests that Hornby's Marketing and Sales departments aren't talking to each other...

Indeed, it makes you wonder what discussion were held prior to filming. 2 sides to every story. 

• Agree 1

Thats a very helpful video with the different sets running. Was the 14 car version and one NDM as fast as it got?

Set seems a bit noisy though - is that normal?

Paul R

Edited by pwr
amended

23 minutes ago, pwr said:

Thats a very helpful video with the different sets running. Was the 14 car version and one NDM as fast as it got?

Set seems a bit noisy though - is that normal?

Paul R

I guess this is referring to my video. When I ran her as a 14 car set, we were at 3/4 max power. Earlier in the video you see the train running much faster with 10/11 coaches and this too was 3/4 power. 

So overall with one NDM on 14 cars, I could have gone a little faster but the weight of the train does slow it down. It also does a brief moment of wheel spin when it tries to get the full weight underway.

Perso - I would have preferred Hornby selling the intermediate coaches as packs of 4 to enable people to complete one or both ends.

Sold as pairs with one coach from each end does not allow any real world set I am aware of (although others more knowledgeable may have info) other than one photo I have in 1978 will full yellow ends running as an 8 car set with just the TS intermediate vehicles (no Interycity nor APT written on the NDMs).

I've ended up with more APT rolling stock than I need pushing the one powered NDM to the limit.

As for noise, well it is a big train with small metal wheels widely spaced in a bogie running on 26 inch tight curves. So somewhat hard to avoid.

I also left the pantos down as they feel way to fragile to be risked near the wires!

But she is a joy to watch going around.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just watched he video and he stated that at the time of the program going out Hornby didn't send him any to sell for the predicted demand but as far as I am aware at that time there were only 3 in the country (as stated by Pete Waterman at Chester) so none were available for anyone to sell. Having said that I can understand his frustration regarding the tier system!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Markwj said:

Just watched he video and he stated that at the time of the program going out Hornby didn't send him any to sell for the predicted demand but as far as I am aware at that time there were only 3 in the country (as stated by Pete Waterman at Chester) so none were available for anyone to sell. Having said that I can understand his frustration regarding the tier system!

And he also received his Hornby Christmas sets after Christmas.... so he is doubly frustrated..........

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

I'll give my 2 cents worth on the youtube clip. They are a tier 3 shop and for good reason, there shop is a mess (and that's polite), its really hard to find, i had to ask someone walking around how i get to it. They sell mostly second hand stuff (but its not cheap), their new products are far and few between. Captain Tom 66 for £240, yes going rate these days but don't claim to be supporting lower prices when you are clearly out to make a big margin on that item.
Every video they post is a dig at Hornby, well if you despise them so much stop been a retailer, simple. Focus on other manufactories.

To me smacks of bitterness, i won't be going back that's for sure.

My experience of Rocket railways is that the Coalville shop is new, having opened to give them a physical shop to allow them to start selling new stuff from the likes of Bachmann and Hornby.  It is still full of the secondhand stuff they have accumulated for sale over the years, and in that respect it is an Aladdins cave.  

However the fault is Hornby's.  If they were not going to supply them the APT as a Tier 3 retailer one should never have been loaned in the first place.

I'll be using Rocket railways again - their level of service beats Hornby's hollow.  I currently have no Hornby on pre-order.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Les1952 said:

My experience of Rocket railways is that the Coalville shop is new, having opened to give them a physical shop to allow them to start selling new stuff from the likes of Bachmann and Hornby.  It is still full of the secondhand stuff they have accumulated for sale over the years, and in that respect it is an Aladdins cave.  

However the fault is Hornby's.  If they were not going to supply them the APT as a Tier 3 retailer one should never have been loaned in the first place.

I'll be using Rocket railways again - their level of service beats Hornby's hollow.  I currently have no Hornby on pre-order.

Les

sorry but been new is no excuse. That should give any shop a blank canvas to lay the shop out correctly and most importantly neatly and presentable, get your new products on display front and centre, not on the top shelf in boxes and amongst all the second hand stuff, start off how you mean to go on.

The signal box, not too far away sells both new and old stock, second had stuff is a right gold mine but its all nicely on display, great value, all labelled up in a sorted manor, they are night and day. I know which shop i'd rather visit.

Anyway this is detracting from what this thread is about, the APT, not individual shops.

To bring this back on track, i've debated in my mind for weeks about should i, should i not get one of these. Having seen the old and new models side by side it does make the new one look good, trouble is you read all the bad stuff (faults people are having) about the model and think its not worth it, but actually you have to bring it back to, do i like the model? Take it at face value can i justify the price?

For me the answer is still a no,  there is stuff on order this year, class 91 set, Blue pullman hst set, deltic, P2 2007 and a couple of wagon sets and £430 goes along way to paying for it.

2 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

sorry but been new is no excuse. That should give any shop a blank canvas to lay the shop out correctly and most importantly neatly and presentable, get your new products on display front and centre, not on the top shelf in boxes and amongst all the second hand stuff, start off how you mean to go on.

The signal box, not too far away sells both new and old stock, second had stuff is a right gold mine but its all nicely on display, great value, all labelled up in a sorted manor, they are night and day. I know which shop i'd rather visit.

Anyway this is detracting from what this thread is about, the APT, not individual shops.

To bring this back on track, i've debated in my mind for weeks about should i, should i not get one of these. Having seen the old and new models side by side it does make the new one look good, trouble is you read all the bad stuff (faults people are having) about the model and think its not worth it, but actually you have to bring it back to, do i like the model? Take it at face value can i justify the price?

For me the answer is still a no,  there is stuff on order this year, class 91 set, Blue pullman hst set, deltic, P2 2007 and a couple of wagon sets and £430 goes along way to paying for it.

Well, fair enough, and you’ll be happy i am sure with your other investments, the only thing to keep in mind is, how happy will you be if they really do sell out and, next year your only route to one is to pay whatever the e bayers are baying for…….

Edited by Bigeddie
Typo
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bigeddie said:

Well, fair enough, and you’ll be happy i am sure with your other investments, the only thing to keep in mind is, how happy will you be if they really do sell out and, next year your only route to one is to pay whatever the e bayers are baying for…….

don't worry about it . with the tooling costs i'm sure they'll be more batches - and it's not as though you'll miss the liveries you want .

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

I am of mind that it is now cheaper in the long run to buy something new right away than await a rerun. Granted you cannot easily buy everything and my spending now sits with my key interest which is basically anything South Eastern. 

The APT however is nostalgic in that I wanted this as a kid, refused by my parents as I had a high speed train. The Deltic is another such item (though they were being phased out as the APTs were struggling to get in).

There will be reruns of this one though. As we've seen in the catalogues.