New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Of potential interest to those interested in the L&MR in OO RTR:

He makes some very good points in that video. It would be nice to see one of the major manufacturers that are dipping their toes into Era 1 coming up with some more realistic rolling stock.

• Agree 6

9 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

He makes some very good points in that video. It would be nice to see one of the major manufacturers that are dipping their toes into Era 1 coming up with some more realistic rolling stock.

Well, I'm quite content with what he's done here with the twin container wagons.

It's objectively much more prototype faithful than Hornby's version (I know there is persistent folklore about the Rocket's tender origin story, but neither of the two types of coal wagon identified as running on the L&M in the 1830s resembles the tender), and appears to run a whole lot better! 

I'm not sure, therefore, I'd need a major manufacturer to reproduce these, but, yes, there is a lot of other stock of the L&M, London & Birmingham etc that it would be great to see now that Hornby has gone beyond the bounds of 1930s-1980s L&M replicas, albeit largely unconvincingly in most instances. Nevertheless, Hornby has set a useful precedent here and in this regard I would at least count the Royal Mail coach as a win. 

I have reservations about Sam's single container coal wagon (the one in the centre). Two containers were presumably used for a purpose, such as convenient size and manageable weight for the cranes that lifted the loaded containers from the wagon. Having said that, it's a characterful generic 'Era 1' coal wagon and still better than using a Rocket tender. By the way, the two known methods of discharge were (a) craning off containers and (b) bottom doors (at the Manchester end), so no end door unloading as per the Hornby tender conversions so far as I can discover. The Hornby 'coal wagons' are, to be fair, a bit of a nonsense and rather cheekily priced Old Rope.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I know Sam thought I was insulting him when I said he was clever but I wasn't, and this again goes to prove he is not simply someone snarking on the internet.

These are impressive, not least because of their running qualities. His projects are becoming ever more ambitious and successful. His GER 552 Class was very good

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

These are impressive, not least because of their running qualities. His projects are becoming ever more ambitious and successful. His GER 552 Class was very good

Maybe Hornby should hire him as SK's replacement.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 months later...

I have the new Hornby Rocket and i have two problems ,Firstly the couplings are very hard to put on and break easily it seems ,so I am in need of replacements ,any ideas ?? Secondly I have lost the driver can i get a spare and from where . Ive tried online but cant find anything even close any help would be greatly appreciated :-) 

Ben the way is it possible yo use three link coupling instead of those hellish drawbars ??

9 hours ago, oldknotty said:

I have the new Hornby Rocket and i have two problems ,Firstly the couplings are very hard to put on and break easily it seems ,so I am in need of replacements ,any ideas ?? Secondly I have lost the driver can i get a spare and from where . Ive tried online but cant find anything even close any help would be greatly appreciated :-) 

Ben the way is it possible yo use three link coupling instead of those hellish drawbars ??

A few Enginemen here...

https://www.acstadden.co.uk/product-page/oo13-1950s-enginemen 

https://www.acstadden.co.uk/product-page/oo12-edwardian-enginemen 

Beautifully made and finished.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldknotty said:

Hornby should be able to replace both for you if you ask nicely :)

On 25/08/2023 at 20:45, jcredfer said:

Firstly the couplings are very hard to put on and break easily it seems ,so I am in need of replacements ,any ideas ??

I have converted some Hornby wagons to Accurascale magnetic chain couplings.

I cut the chain on the magnetic coupling which left the magnet, a split link & 3 full links.

I tried to place the last link over the existing hook but found this too fiddley.

I replaced the Hornby hook with one bent from Nickle silver wire. (see Photos).

Remove 2 screws to separate the body from the chassis which will require a bit of force as they are clipped together fairly tightly.

Bend the new hook, the exact length is not critical, but should be long enough to reach to where there is enough plastic for a hole. (You may notice that the hooks in the photo are different lengths. the one on the left could have been a bit longer & the one on the right a bit shorter.)

Test fit the new hook, mark & drill a hole for the bent end of the hook.

Feed the last loop of the coupling over the wire hook then feed the wire through the buffer beam & pust the bend into the hole, a little super glue to hold the wire in place until the body & chassis are rejoined.

There are flanges on the body underside that may need trimming to clear the wire.

4.jpg.cfd39c4f7e8df0dcfb2376f5a854d29a.jpg

1.png.7d32e93a56fa713b69ddff0e00d1475b.png

2.png.db180cb2a2feee36d656294bb025ee4a.png

Hope this helps. 

John

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I looked at the Accurascale and thought they were definitely worth a go.  I found some 3mm split jump rings, so they would fit over the existing hook and removed some of the Accurascale links.  2mm Jump rings are made, but no-one had them in stock, so that will wait, until they appear again.   A couple of trials ended with an improvement over the Hornby links.

DSC02654.JPG.0de5625ae944fddc5cd82456126476df.JPG

Accurascale - Big

Smaller

Smallest

Connected

DSC02647.JPG.5018f3c31ed019bbaa2b5d6b4f30846e.JPG

Not perfect, but a definite improvement.  I also capped the hooks, to stop the links jumping off when they join together.  The black one is insulation off 18 SWG silicone insulated wire and the blue [just for clarity], is 20 SWG silicone insulated wire.  I use black 20 SWG as it was neater, than 18.

DSC02667.JPG.34cf1da7a50eeb1bf4b231cd9baaa1c6.JPG

The result...

DSC02681.JPG.81fec7e9ae1fd034bfe68c94a6548c9e.JPG

One last picture of the tools to open the Jump ring split and close it up again...  grip the Jump ring in small needle nose pliers, insert the ring in the smallest slot, twist and it opens, fit Accurascale link, then insert again and twist back...  done!     Quick, simple and no more grovelling on the carpet, after trying with two sets of needle nose pliers, yeah!!

DSC02655.JPG.6ea1eb6abd72c98d9ee24fe7784ec275.JPG

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Interesting. Anyone come up with a way of propelling successfully other than on a relatively straight track. Thinking of something like a moulded rigid plastic "chain" with projecting pieces to either end which rub against the coach etc limiting the extent of swing.

Edited by Butler Henderson

On 29/10/2023 at 13:30, Butler Henderson said:

Interesting. Anyone come up with a way of propelling successfully other than on a relatively straight track. Thinking of something like a moulded rigid plastic "chain" with projecting pieces to either end which rub against the coach etc limiting the extent of swing.

Maybe do the same accurascale conversion above set the coaches at the distance you want and then apply a small dob of super glue on each link (or solder them if metal and there is no risk of melting anything). Then paint black.

You only need to do the links, not the hooks that attach it to the coaches. So they will droop down when uncoupled and allow the couplings to pivot around curves.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 3

On 29/10/2023 at 12:30, Butler Henderson said:

I appreciate the problem and would be dubious about adding weights to the free-rolling stock, given the fragile difference between pulling the coaches and spinning the driving wheels. 

Given the Rocket loco wheel configuration, I'm not sure that the mechanics of trying to push carriages, in loco reverse, would be a success - OO or full size.   I suspect that it would be subject to very similar forces that farm tractors had { - tend, still to have} to lift the, leading, small wheels, when the throttle was opened.  {There's many a farm-hand died, that way back along, much less common now.}  Rocket also sported a lighter weight / leverage ratio over the smaller wheels, than a farm tractor.  I have also noticed a few of the pictures of the time, back then, with a loco on a small turntable, in the background, which may be significant to the operation of the locos.

There may be an opening there for adding a small turntable and run-round loop to a layout, so there's a opportunity to be seized upon, as compensation.   🤔😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

Given the Rocket loco wheel configuration, I'm not sure that the mechanics of trying to push carriages, in loco reverse, would be a success - OO or full size. 

More thinking of using Rapidos Lion as Rocket is the biggest pile of brown stuff I have bought.  Had a go at rewiring it to solve the snapping tender connection wires problem and my own wires snapped. The problem is there is virtually no space in the loco for the wires meaning they have to be in tension and one adverse tug on the tender and snap they go. Whole loco needs a complete redesign using internal contact strips to a point where wires can be connected that are not in tension. And separately the driving wheel axle made captive rather than depending on metal lugs on the inside of the body, held down by the thinnest bolt possible, and which no doubt over time will wear leading to the gear wheel on the axle slipping on the worm. Overpriced pile of junk.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

image.png.6edb9cc914fdff5b0d1c13c15e84f934.png

I wonder how many they will sell now you can get the rolling stock separately . Who has the need for 2 Rockets ? Stand by for the bargain bin 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

If they’d tooled to do the lower cylinders they could have stretched the imagination, (1930’s coaches etc), to do Northumbrian too making it a useful actual L&M set. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Legend said:

I wonder how many they will sell now you can get the rolling stock separately . Who has the need for 2 Rockets ? Stand by for the bargain bin 

Yup, and it was bad enough before the latest announcements. eBay was full of 2nd run Rocket packs, Tiger packs, coach pack, wagon packs, etc being sold at relatively low prices.

4 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Yup, and it was bad enough before the latest announcements. eBay was full of 2nd run Rocket packs, Tiger packs, coach pack, wagon packs, etc being sold at relatively low prices.

If I were you, I'd ask those people selling on the cheap exactly where they got them from........ 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Fireline said:

If I were you, I'd ask those people selling on the cheap exactly where they got them from........ 

A bunch of retailers were heavily discounting the open coach/wagon packs as well, and a lot of them sell on eBay.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction