New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

The mail arrived yesterday with a mail coach. I don't think this was ever done as a modern replica but I feel it adds something nice on the end of the train.

LandB_Mail_01.jpg

LandB_Mail_02.jpg

LandB_Mail_03.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

The mail arrived yesterday with a mail coach. I don't think this was ever done as a modern replica but I feel it adds something nice on the end of the train.

LandB_Mail_01.jpg

LandB_Mail_02.jpg

LandB_Mail_03.jpg

Nice views of the roof...

... which prompts the thought, has anyone luggaged up and sheeted over their carriage roofs?

The yellow underframe looks like laziness - what evidence is there for the livery of the mail coaches? (They were a L&B innovation, I think - or did the GJ have them first?)

32 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

LandB_Mail_01.jpg

LandB_Mail_02.jpg

LandB_Mail_03.jpg

I like the way that the guard has positioned the single trunk as a windbreak!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

34 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The yellow underframe looks like laziness - what evidence is there for the livery of the mail coaches? (They were a L&B innovation, I think - or did the GJ have them first?)

For the livery, only a stamp and some artists images of the time. No hint that the underframe was yellow though. But the body seems to fit well within the theme.

The trunk is glued on but people can obvious add and sheet up more if they don't mind them not going back in the boxes anymore.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I got my L&M mail coach yesterday, and am fairly happy with it. But it was only later I noticed it's missing royal cyphers and coat of arms.

I'll get some decals printed up at some point as both William IV's cypher and pre-Victoria UK coat of arms are available online.

LMRMailCoach.jpg.634b723bd4220da6a1659b749c20fea0.jpg

And before anyone says "oh you can't trust these old illustrations" vehicles for carrying mail carried royal markings. The road stage mail coaches had them, and it carried over to the railways.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

And before anyone says "oh you can't trust these old illustrations" 

Yellow underframe! And on the L&M. My apologies for doubting.

Edited by Compound2632

Just thinking out loud.

The road mail coaches had a "boot", a secure compartment that the mail pouches were kept in. Perhaps the trunk was bolted to the roof as the rail equivalent.  As it was right in front of the guard, he would notice if anyone tried to tamper with it...

Passengers luggage would be roped and sheeted, but not the mail trunk.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Yellow underframe! And on the L&M. My apologies for doubting.

To be fair there is so much conflicting info, lack of concrete info, and questionable illustrations from the time it's easy to question and doubt things. Early railways are such a minefield 😄

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Fair Oak Junction said:

To be fair there is so much conflicting info, lack of concrete info, and questionable illustrations from the time it's easy to question and doubt things. Early railways are such a minefield 😄

....... and since no-one can prove it's wrong - a rare chance to please yourself!

CJI.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

....... and since no-one can prove it's wrong - a rare chance to please yourself!

Well, I think one has to accept statements such as:

"On the currently available evidence, underframes of mail carriages were yellow" 

as restricting the range within which one can both please oneself and be true to the historical record.

Mind you, any 1830s period model train using a combination of the currently available RTR models strains the historical evidence. 'Northumbrian' or 'Jupiter', please! (1930s or 1980s period is a different matter!)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Oh look, it's even got a TT:120 guard 😎

Something of a Freudian statement of social status at that time, methinks!

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Oh look, it's even got a TT:120 guard 😎

Not so much TT:120 as just slightly further away...

• Funny 2

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Nice views of the roof...

... which prompts the thought, has anyone luggaged up and sheeted over their carriage roofs?

Liverpool and Manchester first. 

I believe that the stagecoaches to Manchester disappeared virtually overnight when it opened. No more having to travel very boggy and impenetrable roads such as where Chat Moss was. It went from taking a day to get to Manchester to just over an hour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chat_Moss

Jason

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

Liverpool and Manchester first. 

I believe that the stagecoaches to Manchester disappeared virtually overnight when it opened. No more having to travel very boggy and impenetrable roads such as where Chat Moss was. It went from taking a day to get to Manchester to just over an hour.

I recall reading of an 1830 newspaper item about a Mancunian cotton magnate who had been to Liverpool twice in one day.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I recall reading of an 1830 newspaper item about a Mancunian cotton magnate who had been to Liverpool twice in one day.

Better than now!

Went to Rainhill last week for the exhibition and the trains were atrocious. About one an hour and most of those were cancelled.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I remember that. To my mind, it is uncannily reminicent of the experiences of Concorde passengers able to travel to New York and back on the same day. Such is progress and such is regression.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Hi folks...any idea where I can get hold of some more of the Hornby chain link couplings?

I made the mistake of getting the 1930s coach pack...and unbelievably it doesn't come with any couplings.

Been searching about 30 mins now and I can't see anyone selling them as spares.

Pretty criminal really these things must cost about 1p to produce, how could they not included them in a £85 coach pack??? Screams into a pillow...

9 hours ago, drt7uk said:

Hi folks...any idea where I can get hold of some more of the Hornby chain link couplings?

Why not check with Hornby?  Perhaps the couplers were accidentally missed from your pack.

Roddy

45 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

Why not check with Hornby?  Perhaps the couplers were accidentally missed from your pack.

Roddy

Don't appear to be...a number of other listings for these on various websites say they don't contain couplings.

Have sent Hornby a message but given how slow they are to respond, if others know where I can buy some of these couplings (or even the proper name or code for the part), I'd be grateful.

11 minutes ago, drt7uk said:

Don't appear to be...a number of other listings for these on various websites say they don't contain couplings.

That is odd!  

I am sure that I saw mention that Hornby were going to bring out a new magnetic coupling for models in this era, it will be interesting to see if it is similar to Accurascale's for the chaldrons.

Roddy

15 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

That is odd!  

I am sure that I saw mention that Hornby were going to bring out a new magnetic coupling for models in this era, it will be interesting to see if it is similar to Accurascale's for the chaldrons.

Roddy

The Accurascale ones looks great but sadly seem to be NEM only (suitable for the Rapido Lion at least but not these).

I'll have a root around and see if I have an old necklace chain I can convert instead !

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, drt7uk said:

I'll have a root around and see if I have an old necklace chain I can convert instead !

I'd say you are better off doing that anyway. The Hornby chain couplings are a nice feature, but don't allow for any play between the stock. A rake feels very rigid.

I'm certainly going to be using actual chains between mine so it gives the "pick up" effect as the train moves off.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

The Hornby chain couplings are a nice feature, but don't allow for any play between the stock. A rake feels very rigid.

I'm certainly going to be using actual chains between mine so it gives the "pick up" effect as the train moves off.

Was it not Henry Booth, Secretary of the L&M, who devised the first primitive screw coupling precisely to eliminate that effect?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Was it not Henry Booth, Secretary of the L&M, who devised the first primitive screw coupling precisely to eliminate that effect?

Yep, although not until about 1837 so for the early part of the L&MR chains are still more correct AFAIK.

Booth-screw-coupling-diagram-from-Osbourne-guide.png.5990946d989771e9b57d57f50cb9da82.png

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Informative/Useful 2