The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

• RMweb Premium

You can bet in all this the Pharma Giants are rubbing their hands in glee at the big blank cheque prices they can and will be charging for any medication they are no doubt rapidly developing to combat this thing.

In the end, it is all about the money... 

1 hour ago, Giles said:

Make of it what you will.

There’s a longer version also available on YouTube.  Beginning at around 32 minutes in there’s a prognosis which alludes to the course of action being proposed here in the UK.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Wouldn't say I'm an "expert" exactly, simply live here in the US.

The only known/defined safeguard is the "Designated Survivor" (NO, NOT the TV series, though that's what it's based on) wherein;

" a designated survivor (or designated successor) is a named individual in the presidential line of succession, chosen to stay (at a secure and undisclosed location) away from events such as State of the Union addresses and presidential inaugurations."

There are no other specific events that appear to generally require a specific separation, though they often don't travel together. Other than that, they seem to happily mingle in spite of some sensibly held beliefs that in the current situation they probably shouldn't.

Editorial comment: Given the current sanity/stable genius level of those concerned it's not surprising they're not taking any special precautions - the Orangutang is after all well up on all this and knows more than the WHO/CDC combined if you listen to any speeches :O

Your leaders are extrememly replacable, if they drop dead just assign someone else.

So why does there need to be any designated survivors when any old person will do?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chamby said:

I take James Hunt’s intervention with a pinch of salt.  Former ministers have a very long track record of openly criticising their replacements.  We should all be pulling together, whatever your political persuasion.  Sniping from the sidelines is the last thing we need in this situation.

James is dead sorry, but his thoughts on F1 were excellent.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I believe Mr Hunt was not universally popular during his time in that post, even - or perhaps especially - with health insiders. This may somewhat water down his cred as an observer. 

I get the feeling App Mancock may be even more unpopular.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MJI said:

Your leaders are extrememly replacable, if they drop dead just assign someone else.

So why does there need to be any designated survivors when any old person will do?

Depends on your perspective if you think any old person will do.  As has been noted, in the US it's President then VP then Speaker of the House of Representatives.  IIRC at the time of 9/11 Bush and and Cheney were Republicans but Speaker of The House was Democrat, so the line of succession was at the forefront of some peoples' minds,  not wanting 'the other lot' to get in charge, 

10 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

In the US the succession beyond the president and vice-president goes first to the speaker of the House of Representatives...

Interesting, so should the worst happen (your opinion may vary), the US could end up with its first female president (and a Democrat) by default in Nancy Pelosi. 

(file under: unlikely, but possible). 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Depends on your perspective if you think any old person will do.  As has been noted, in the US it's President then VP then Speaker of the House of Representatives.  IIRC at the time of 9/11 Bush and and Cheney were Republicans but Speaker of The House was Democrat, so the line of succession was at the forefront of some peoples' minds,  not wanting 'the other lot' to get in charge, 

Well look at the current lot, a random person selected off the street would do a better job.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Neil said:

I'm not sniping from the sidelines. 

You misunderstood me, Neil.  My comment related to Jeremy Hunt, not yourself!

I don’t think JH’s comment will have any impact on proceedings at all, it just muddies the water for what the government is trying to achieve. 

Meanwhile, back to the title of this thread, the first sign that our hobby is being directly impacted:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=758

Best check with your local modelshop, before you set out...

• Thanks 1

My wife works as a teaching assistant at foundation level. She was surprised by the lack of school closures given the mixing bowl of nasties that young children bring in. I can see her point. Both her, my youngest and I all have underlying health issues. I am paranoid to say the least when it comes to our youngest. Our eldest is fit and healthy and due to do GCSE's so needs to be in school.

If it were me Id give it a week or two, assess the situation and if needed close schools in the run up to Easter. Ensure all the schools have the same Easter break and potentially to have a 3 to 4 week period to help nip it in the bud. Parents will be more likely be off over Easter and therefore more readily available.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Best check with your local modelshop, before you set out...

Talking to a shop owner this morning he was experiencing healthy sales of modelling materials such as paint and track; it sounds like there could be an outbreak happening - of modelling!

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Talking to a shop owner this morning he was experiencing healthy sales of modelling materials such as paint and track; it sounds like there could be an outbreak happening - of modelling!

I'm not surprised - I have been checking various stocks in my stash....

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

it sounds like there could be an outbreak happening - of modelling!

Maybe RMWeb could start a "Self-Isolation Challenge" for the best model making done during a period of self-imposed exile. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 minute ago, sharris said:

Maybe RMWeb could start a "Self-Isolation Challenge" for the best model making done during a period of self-imposed exile. 

What's the end date? ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Mangapps has closed.

The North Norfolk Steam Gala has been postponed and the Churnet Valley Mad Hatters Tea Party has been cancelled. Both lines are still operating their normal services.

Mangapps:

North Norfolk:

Churnet Valley Railway:

EDIT: Churnet Valley added

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Informative/Useful 4

10 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

The Federal Reserve increased its planned spending on bonds by one-point-five trillion dollars, which is not the same as pumping it in immediately. 

Strictly speaking, bonds are traded on stock markets, but they are very different to shares, and so higher share prices would only be a byproduct of the purchases. 

The main point of the purchases is to increase liquidity, so holders of such bonds are able to get higher prices if they sell them, and therefore get more cash than before. 

Do tell, what will be the purchasing power of all this cash ?