The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

The figures from Northern Italy show it's not just old people who end up in hospital:

5.6 % of patients with Covid-19 are aged between 30 and 39;

10.7 % 40-49

17.4 % 50-59

17.7 % 60-69

21.4 % 70-79

18.4 %  80 +

8.8% unknown

Edited by maico
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Just got back - and there weren't any. Society's losing the plot (or would be if it hadn't done so years ago anyway).

My local Tesco ran out late the previous week but had restocked sufficiently by last Monday that some large packs were on special offer. Rationed admittedly, but who needs more than 16 in one week's shop?

FYI, I didn't buy any. I've always got loads because they are one of the items on my "non-perishables" watch list for special offers to be exploited when they  coincide with a "cheap week" for my general shopping.

As the spokesman from HMG stated (though not in so many words) the only shortages are the ones being created by the headless chickens in society.

John 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, maico said:

The figures from Northern Italy show it's not just old people who end up in hospital:

10.7 % 40-49

17.4 % 50-59

17.7 % 60-69

21.4 % 70-79

18.4 %  80 +

Nobody said it was (just the old that ended up in hospital  as a result of Covid-19)

However your figures quite clearly show that the younger you are (and by logical extension the fitter you are) then the lower the chances that you will end up dieing from Covid-19.

Thus backing up the sceintific consensus in the UK that shutting schools or moving to 'total lockdown' measures is not currently the best thing to do.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, maico said:

10.7 % 40-49

17.4 % 50-59

17.7 % 60-69

21.4 % 70-79

18.4 %  80 +

Which (if you add up the above percentages) comes to just under a tenth of those over sixty.

The information being issued by the various authorities therefore seems to be generally correct in its emphasis.

Also, someone suggested to me the other day that Italy has a higher ratio of smokers to non-smokers than most comparable nations. Anybody know if that's correct?

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Metr0Land said:

Please no, I've had enough of P4 evangelists.  

It was more in the context of attendance at (in this case) mosques, churches and other places of worship specifically if the 500 limit is introduced.  

The last thing I want is anyone of that intent knocking my door.  

3 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Nobody said it was (just the old that ended up in hospital  as a result of Covid-19)

However your figures quite clearly show that the younger you are (and by logical extension the fitter you are) then the lower the chances that you will end up dieing from Covid-19.

Thus backing up the sceintific consensus in the UK that shutting schools or moving to 'total lockdown' measures is not currently the best thing to do.

So you know what everyone says?

Your second paragraph states the obvious,.

The third is open to debate.

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The problem isn't temporary restrictions to try and control a virus but the risk that governments will use the opportunity to increase their powers to track and monitor us and usher in changes which could easily lead to something sinister under the pretext of the greater good. I really wouldn't be surprised if the tracking apps that have been rolled out in some countries quietly become a long term requirement. 

And even worse with the Coronavirus distracting everyone, what deeds might some countries or other entities try to pull ?
Maybe China invading Taiwan, North Korea kicking off etc. Some oil antics have already kicked off Russia V Saudi Arabia.

The Chinese may wait till the markets hit rock bottom, then buy everything they don't already own 

Strange times and a changed world ahead.

Stay safe.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
added text

• RMweb Premium

Our local church has cancelled its mid-week meetings and social activities, but is still holding the Sunday service.   An excellent example of the confused approach we're seeing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

And even worse with the Coronavirus distracting everyone, what deeds might some countries or other entities try to pull ?
Maybe China invading Taiwan, North Korea kicking off etc. Some oil antics have already kicked off Russia V Saudi Arabia.

The Chinese may wait till the markets hit rock bottom, then buy everything they don't already own 

Strange times and a changed world ahead.

Stay safe.

Brit15

Hi Apollo,

Approximately three thousand US troops landed in Aden this morning.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

The panic-buying of toilet rolls is a problem. I was in Tesco earlier and there wasn't any to be found on the shelves, searched all the ends of aisles up and down the store too. I asked at the information desk as well after a bit of a wait to ask if they'd got any out the back. No chance but she was a bit short with me.

It was pretty embarrassing walking back to the gents with my trousers around my ankles.

;)

Hi

Unfortunately around here people are panic buying everything and anything from the supermarkets. Soon the shortages will be a self fulfilling prophecy due to the selfish.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

Our local church has cancelled its mid-week meetings and social activities, but is still holding the Sunday service.   An excellent example of the confused approach we're seeing.

Well obviously the big G is protecting those that pray but don’t give a fig for those that use his house for fun....;)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Short term, of course, loo rolls are the product of choice - why? why

Went to Aldi last night. Few customers, no checkout queues, no toilet paper, no paracetamol, no jars of pasta sauce, no fish fingers and potato waffles but no shortage of what I would term ordinary foodstuffs. We hadn't done a big shop for 10 days but gòt everything we needed.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

To my simple mind (OK go on say it), the crucial thing for those who think it best to ignore all the warnings is this:

If those who would usually come to your assistance when you fall ill, become infected and can't look after you, just remember you may be the one who passed on the infection that they eventually caught.  Your illness may be mild, theirs may be fatal - or their family may be the one that loses a loved one rather than yours.

Let's try to think of our neighbours and not be too selfish.  This is unprecedented and may last for months so it behoves ALL of us to act responsibly.  Yes, do all the hand washing, etc. but most of all avoid unnecessary contacts that might just collect and pass on the infection but if you're fit and well, see about shopping for someone who is self-isolating or who needs a prescription collecting.

Take care of yourself and your family, friends and neighbours . . . 

Stan

• Like 15
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Well in France life is just about to change.  As of midnight all places where the public can assemble will be shut with the exception of food shops, chemists, medical services and the election booths tomorrow.  Restaurants, bars, clubs, other shops etc. will be closed.  Over 70s must stay at home.

Developments will surely follow.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Well in France life is just about to change.  As of midnight all places where the public can assemble will be shut with the exception of food shops, chemists, medical services and the election booths tomorrow.  Restaurants, bars, clubs, other shops etc. will be closed.  Over 70s must stay at home.

This over-70 will be happy to comply up to a point. I live very rurally, have milk, bread and a freezer. My (Scots!) cleaner comes in every week. The small supermarket 3 km away may see me occasionally. But on 26th March I am booked on Eurostar to London, staying with Sherry in Torbay for 5 weeks. I am inclined to think I will then try to pass for under-70!

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The French PM has tonight warned that taking Ibuprofen can worsen the viral infection. Tough on those who take it daily for arthritic etc conditions. 

I have been stuffing myself with it all week to dull the pain from my cracked rib. Not sure why it would make one more vulnerable to a virus.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

That article confirms what I have suspected. I am not opening a pub at the right time.

• Friendly/supportive 8

10 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That article confirms what I have suspected. I am not opening a pub at the right time.

Hi Joseph,

I know how you feel, I'm self employed, so far this year, busy January, eight days work in February and three days so far in March. There are three days work starting Thursday but that is all I have until the phone rings.

Still I got plenty of toy trains fettled.

Gibbo.

• Friendly/supportive 4