The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

SWMBO was shocked to find that our local Ikea was clean out of blue plastic bags this morning.  Maybe people are buying them up to carry their stockpiled loo roll home?

(Apparently not: she was told that it's due an issue with the supplier, not unusually high demand.  I actually think that most of the shortages that people are seeing at the moment are due to staff shortages in the supply chain due to some bug that it seems is going around.)

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Judging by the gaps on the shelves today at Frizinghall Models, somebody in West Yorkshire is stockpiling Dapol building kits... I freely admit to panic-buying the last Booking Hall kit mindyou :)

I think it's more due to supply problems.

ISTR when the Covid thing started Dapol closed down for a while and the kits are made in house.

People trying to buy Peco products have had similar problems. Especially as regards track.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

ISTR when the Covid thing started Dapol closed down for a while and the kits are made in house.

People trying to buy Peco products have had similar problems. Especially as regards track.

I initially thought that the reason that Dapol shut down at the beginning of Covid was that their HQ/factory was in Wales (The Chirk/Wrexham thing)  and as Welsh counties are busy shutting their borders to the English again, it crossed my mind that they were in the same pickle again.  However a spot of googling on their postcode revealed that they are over 0.5km inside England...  Shropshire!

I suppose their employees mainly live in Wales, though the "travelling to work" loophole presumably operates.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I initially thought that the reason that Dapol shut down at the beginning of Covid was that their HQ/factory was in Wales (The Chirk/Wrexham thing)  and as Welsh counties are busy shutting their borders to the English again, it crossed my mind that they were in the same pickle again.  However a spot of googling on their postcode revealed that they are over 0.5km inside England...  Shropshire!

I suppose their employees mainly live in Wales, though the "travelling to work" loophole presumably operates.

If you just read their own info it tells you their HQ is in Wales and their factory is in England.

Wiki has the info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dapol

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, spikey said:

So you're still letting emmits in then?

Unfortunately this year yes.......we were the lowest area of the lurgy before the lifting of the ban on being able to drive anywhere, the absolute crowds that descended that weekend was very disheartening and now we are a medium risk area rather than very low.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Ben B said:

Judging by the gaps on the shelves today at Frizinghall Models, somebody in West Yorkshire is stockpiling Dapol building kits... I freely admit to panic-buying the last Booking Hall kit mindyou :)

Wanna buy one in an original Airfix box guv?   (I am a bit short on those but turntable and engine shed kits, all original Airfix of course, lurk in my stockplle).,  No it wasn't panic buying when the closure of Airfix was announced - just a spot of future proofing ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I assumed Branston pickle was being panic-bought, but it turned out masses of the stuff was recalled when a jar or two had been found to be contaminated with plastic. 

Fortunately normal supplies now seem to have resumed. 

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/10/2020 at 16:08, Metr0Land said:

Get a room you 2 :blush:

Don't you think that's a bit advanced for a couple who only married 5 years ago? Actually, thanks to Covid, we didn't see each other between Feb 9th and July 15th, and present strictures do not suggest we will be together again in the very near term. Plenty of people worldwide worse off than us, of course. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

On 06/10/2020 at 09:26, melmerby said:

If you just read their own info it tells you their HQ is in Wales and their factory is in England.

Wiki has the info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dapol

But if you buy stuff off them direct, it all goes through the factory.

I imagine their Welsh HQ as one of those offices with columns of company names on the door, for delivery of legal documents, etc.   I'm sure its not, but thats what passed through my mind.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Hroth said:

But if you buy stuff off them direct, it all goes through the factory.

I imagine their Welsh HQ as one of those offices with columns of company names on the door, for delivery of legal documents, etc.   I'm sure its not, but thats what passed through my mind.....

This is a view, from Google, of their registered office address (and the site of their retail premises).  It is very definitely in England although the address is Chirk,  which is in Wales, and the Postcode is LL which is also in Wales (Llandudno).

300119905_DapolHQ.jpg.100a9c8586a2b9f0a4819cc0f82bec55.jpg

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

This is a view, from Google, of their registered office address (and the site of their retail premises).  It is very definitely in England although the address is Chirk,  which is in Wales, and the Postcode is LL which is also in Wales (Llandudno).

300119905_DapolHQ.jpg.100a9c8586a2b9f0a4819cc0f82bec55.jpg

The whole of Gledrid Industrial Estate is in England, Chirk in Wales is about 1 mile north, the Welsh border is 2400 feet north of the factory, where the A5 crosses the River Dee

EDIT The claim to be in Wales, due to the postal address is Erroneous:)

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The whole of Gledrid Industrial Estate is in England, Chirk in Wales is about 1 mile north, the Welsh border is 2400 feet north of the factory, where the A5 crosses the River Dee

EDIT The claim to be in Wales, due to the postal address is Erroneous:)

Agreed, it's just the way the Post Office have chosen to organise their deliveries.  A bit like Yateley, Camberley, Surrey which upsets Yateley residents no end, 'cos they're actually in Hampshire.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Agreed, it's just the way the Post Office have chosen to organise their deliveries.  A bit like Yateley, Camberley, Surrey which upsets Yateley residents no end, 'cos they're actually in Hampshire.

Royal Mail as opposed to Post Office.

Funniest one is Hale near Speke. They want to be in Cheshire so they put Cheshire on their addresses with no postcode. So all their mail gets sent to Hale near Altrincham which is in Cheshire. Who send it back. It could be going back and forth for weeks. Until someone finally puts "Try Liverpool" on it.

All due to a few Hyacinth Buckets trying to be posh. :laugh:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Royal Mail as opposed to Post Office.

:read:  Pedant alert:

The Post Office didn't become Royal Mail until 2000.   The Post Office was upsetting the people of Yateley long before that.   :diablo_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1