The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

You can keep all your smart switches, thermostats & Alexa's - I just turn the heating on & if it gets too warm open a window or two.

Personally speaking I'll resort to turning the heating off before opening a window.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

It's not Vegans. Many of those unfortunate to have Coeliac disease (my wife included) also develop a Lactose intolerance. Talk about double whammy.

Lactose-free milk is pretty good these days - tastes just like normal milk, because it basically is, just with the lactose removed.

I too find the various plant-based versions awful in tea.

15 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Tea can be grown in the UK. In fact it is in Cornwall and parts of Wales. The tea bush, Camelia Chinensis can grow in most parts of the UK. Churchill seriously considered growing tea in the UK during WW2 but dropped the idea when he discovered that it takes five years for a tea bush to mature.

Jay Foreman explains where Yorkshire tea is grown, around 30 seconds in...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCc0OsyMbQk

THough we've actually got a Camelia in a pot in our garden - not big enough to get any tea from yet though...

• Funny 2

14 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Lactose-free milk is pretty good these days - tastes just like normal milk, because it basically is, just with the lactose removed.

I can just about tollerate it in milky coffee or maybe custard but it tea or on my morning Weetabix - I'd rather go to MacDonalds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, APOLLO said:

China panic buys LNG !!!!

Spot Asian LNG prices LNG-AS surged to a record high of $34.47 per million British thermal units (mmBtu) on Thursday, up more than 500% from the same period last year.

Typically, when spot prices surge, price-sensitive Chinese buyers would shun buying from spot market. But last week, Unipec, the trading arm of China’s Sinopec, sought 11 LNG cargoes for winter and likely bought more than it required, traders said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/china-lng-imports/chinese-buyers-seek-to-boost-lng-imports-for-winter-despite-record-prices-idUKL4N2QX141

I wonder if the Chinese Army has LNG tanker drivers !!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

China has replaced Japan as Australia's largest LNG market recently, helping Australia overtake Qatar as the world's largest exporter. 

Annoyingly though, our domestic gas prices which you'd assume would be low because we've got so much of it are actually some of the highest in the world, since long term overseas contracts soak up almost all our supplies.

In fact in 2019 we were so short that  there were serious plans for us to pay  to import our gas back to us from Japan and the US..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, spikey said:

Good grief!  I had no idea they still made that stuff, never mind that there are still folk who eat it.

Mmm Weetabix with butter spread on….that takes me back about 60 years!  Good old Nan 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Mmm Weetabix with butter spread on….that takes me back about 60 years!  Good old Nan 

Like riveta, re-cycled cardboard!

[As if anyone wondered what happened to all the cardboard boxes one stuffed into one's blue recycling bin?]

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Like riveta, re-cycled cardboard!

[As if anyone wondered what happened to all the cardboard boxes one stuffed into one's blue recycling bin?]

I'm quite partial to riveta with a good slab of butter on it.

Sadly SWMBO has rice cakes these days which are like eating polystyrene packing.

2 minutes ago, alastairq said:

My recycling bin is grey.  It was originally landfill but when they started recycling  they gave us smaller purple bins for landfill to discourage us from just continuing to putting everything into landfill.  Heaven forfend that we should standardise colour code across the country so that people will put stuff in the right one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

My recycling bin is grey.  It was originally landfill but when they started recycling  they gave us smaller purple bins for landfill to discourage us from just continuing to putting everything into landfill.  Heaven forfend that we should standardise colour code across the country so that people will put stuff in the right one.

That would assume there was a unified policy for waste collection across the country - there ain't, all have developed it differently and all interpret what is and isn't recyclable differently.

It's a nightmare, there is plenty of stuff I toss into the landfill bin that according to the packaging can be recycled but is on the council banned list for plastic recycling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It's a nightmare, there is plenty of stuff I toss into the landfill bin that according to the packaging can be recycled but is on the council banned list for plastic recycling.

It's fair to blame the politicians for that.  Some things shouldn't be delegated to local government.

What's a 'radiator?'

If I'm cold, I light a fire.

After having put on a number of wooly cardies according to ambient temperature.

Room temp adjusted by the use of relevant doors.

I have an oil fired boiler, used solely for heating bath water...so the oil lasts a long time [not due a bath for another 7 weeks..saves on bubble bath too]

If I need hot water to wash  up, I boil a kettle or two, making a cuppa in the process.

No gas in the village, aside from that which comes in tall red bottles.

Also our village tends to not suffer from total power outages....since the 'supply', being originally farm supplies, comes from two different locations....so generally, only half the village gets a blackout at a time.

This has led to consternation on the part of Northern Powergen, who have been busy this summer replacing overheads with underground supplies...but found they could do only half the street, on account of from which direction the homes have received their power originally?

Thus, I am now 'underground, as are the next two houses down, then the supplies for the 3rd house down, to the end of the street, are on overheads...they even had to put new stay wires in situ, once they'd removed the overheads from the other side of the pole..then realised......

They spend several days trying to put one cottage's supply underground, only to find their plans thrown awry as, once they' got the wee trench up to the building, that the cottage was built on a solid slab of chalk...and they couldn't go up the wall either, for some reason....much drilling and sawing of rock going on, as the slab is around 3 inches below the surface!!  The lads were under the impression first off, that a mini digger and shovels would be all they needed.

So, several months on, we are, literally, still, half in, half out, power-wise.

Anyway, if there's a power cut, I can always use one of several wee gas camping stoves.....the log fire can be stoked up to melting heat...

Oh, and last spring the leccy supplier tried to fit a smart meter, but couldn't get a signal in my meter cupboard...So the fitter immediately gave up and disappeared off to an easier target...Thus far, no efforts made on their part to try other technologies.

O how nice to have a low profile lifestyle?

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, alastairq said:

What's a 'radiator?'

If I'm cold, I light a fire.

Begin pedantic mode...

A fire is a radiator - most of the heat you feel from it is radiated. The majority of warming from a "radiator" is convected, so "convector" would be a far better name (and thanks a bunch to some previous occupants who positioned radiator and curtains to send most of the heat behind the curtains).

• Like 1

Just now, Reorte said:

and thanks a bunch to some previous occupants who positioned radiator and curtains to send most of the heat behind the curtains).

I have yet to find a home where that isn't the case?

Quite why, I know not..but must be something to do with the window wall being the only one long enough to accommodate the size of radiator required?

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, alastairq said:

I have yet to find a home where that isn't the case?

Quite why, I know not..but must be something to do with the window wall being the only one long enough to accommodate the size of radiator required?

It's to stop draughts. The window produces a nice downdraught of cold air which is countered by the radiator/convector's updraught of hot air.

If you had them on opposite walls the updraught and downdraught would operate in unison to create a relative tornado of cold air across the floor.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

That would assume there was a unified policy for waste collection across the country - there ain't, all have developed it differently and all interpret what is and isn't recyclable differently.

Our only plastic items not suitable for recycling are bags & black plastic items, the optical sorter does the rest.

As the supermarkets have now done away with black plastic food trays, the latter item is a rarity.

BTW we have a grey bin for landfill (we don't put much in it) green for recycling (gets the most rubbish) and brown for garden compostables (e.g. any plant material up to 100mm in diameter, but no soil)

They compost the garden stuff and sell it back to you:yes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 30801 said:

It's to stop draughts. The window produces a nice downdraught of cold air which is countered by the radiator/convector's updraught of hot air.

If you had them on opposite walls the updraught and downdraught would operate in unison to create a relative tornado of cold air across the floor.

Our curtains are just the right length to drop down behind the top of the radiator.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, andytrains said:

Did the Milk Tanker have 20 cars following it?

It was just pulling out of the farm so give it a minute...

2 hours ago, SamThomas said:

You can keep all your smart switches, thermostats & Alexa's - I just turn the heating on & if it gets too warm open a window or two.

I'll lend you my kids, they can be relied on to leave the front door wide open...

Edited by TT-Pete
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Our curtains are just the right length to drop down behind the top of the radiator.

That would make a lot more sense. These are just long enough to hang above the radiator. The best I can manage is to tuck them on to the windowsill.

• Like 2