The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'm going there to drink to forget.

Something.

3 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Carib? Red Stripe? Amstel Bright? Pick an island :D

Nah! go to Barbados and try Cockspur rum, liquid butterscotch.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, AY Mod said:

Postcard.

From the Carribbean.

The Royal Caribbean ship "Anthem of the seas" was at the cruise terminal in Liverpool earlier today. We went to Costco nearby, loads of everything, only a couple of vehicles refuelling, again no queues, We saw the boat and went for a closer look - boy is it huge. She is doing a few cruises round Britain, Southhampton - Liverpool - Greenock - Belfast etc.  She in under steam (!!) to Greenock right now. 

We cruised up to the Chinese supermarket for ships supplies then set sail for sunny Wigan via the M58.!!

Brit15

• Like 2

Regarding subjects discussed on various thread drifts above:-

When I was young, my Grandparents (good old-fashioned Fen Tigers) taught me a few things, which I've pretty successfully upheld throughout my life.

1. Don't spend money you haven't got. If there is something you want, save up for it, and look after it when you get it.

2. Going on from that, never buy from someone at the door.

3. Look at the economics of keeping something you have. If it breaks, repair it.

4. Be independent, do the repair yourself. The cost of the tool needed is often the same as paying someone else; the second repair then costs nothing apart from materials.

5. If you can look after it yourself, you don't have to rely on others. They can be expensive, awkward, not there when needed. Or just do a bad job.

I can honestly say that I've only ever had 3 people come into my place to do something (& I'm now approaching 73). First one was a builder; he added my garage extension  (which I then kitted out) on the first house. Second one added a conservatory to the present bungalow. Third one fitted a new gas boiler 19 years ago (& told me the cheap one I fitted was rubbish - he was right!), and has serviced it annually since. I trust him, we talk the same language together as engineers. And I've done 99.9% of my own car maintenance since 1967.

It has paid off. My garage/workshop/layout room/man-cave is known by the neighbours as "The Repair Shop" after a certain TV programme...

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, spikey said:

So it's actually " Wholegrain Wheat (95%), Malted Barley Extract, Sugar, Salt, Niacin, Iron, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid".  I wonder why they have to "fortify" it.  But whatever, to each their own: I'll stick with my  bowl of porridge made with water, jumbo oats and a pinch of salt :)

That's gruel :D…..my Son’s MiL (lovely lady) makes porridge like that…..disgusting, but I love porridge made with milk…..and a pinch of salt.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, alastairq said:

Well, isn't thread-drft marvellous??

We've got central heating, radiators, boilers, curtains, weetabix, bins, tips, re-cycling, you name it....  :)    :)

We have not yet discussed the merits of dismantling custard creams or bourbons & re-assembling the halves with the cream to make them thicker.........

(don't have to do it with Oreo's now though).

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

For the last 15 or more years, we have bought our “ paper goods” (…bog rolls, kitchen roll and tissues), in bulk from our nearby Macro cash & carry. Along with a bulk buy of washing powder/ liquid/ pods and fabric softener.

We usually get a job lot for the Mother-in-law, at the same time.

It all usually lasts for ages.

It’s getting close to having to stock up again.

The last time we did a big shop for the big roll etc, was about 4 days before last years panic buying began.

A strange coincidence, or just luck on our part?

I’m hoping that this time, the sight of Mr & Mrs Ron wheeling a trolly laden with over 100 bog rolls, doesn’t trigger off another round of panic buying. 

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

I am sure that if anyone were to look in our larders and freezers we would be labelled as panic buyers or hoarders but the truth is that as winter approaches we have to be prepared for being cut off by snow for a week or more.  So when we do purchase goods it is likely to be on an industrial scale.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, melmerby said:

It's fortified for pregnant women's benefit, nearly all cereals are treated so.  Shredded Wheat is 100% wholegrain wheat, nowt else.

Am I not right in believing that it's the folic acid that is for the benefit of pregnant women (or other persons who may be pregnant but who do not consider themselves to be "women"), which still leaves the B1, B2, iron and niacin?  If Shredded Wheat is not "fortified", as seems to be the case, I guess Weetabix is because the "wholegrain" wheat is actually reconstituted rather than the real deal straight out the mill therefore has to be.

I've never understood this whole boxed breakfast cereals lark, but if I may now make so bold as to drift this thread towards the subject of panic buying, those with an interest in the supply chain may find the following site of interest

https://theloadstar.com/

Edited by spikey
linky link
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Just think of the fun you could have driving an empty tanker about. :devil::jester:

Until you run out of fuel!

Mind you, the queue might let you through to the front!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Until you run out of fuel!

Mind you, the queue might let you through to the front!

I'd make sure I have a full tank to start off with, drive slowly past as many petrol filling stations with queues outside them, drive around the countryside for about an hour and then pass the same petrol filling stations and then park up.