The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Our only plastic items not suitable for recycling are bags & black plastic items, the optical sorter does the rest.

As the supermarkets have now done away with black plastic food trays, the latter item is a rarity.

BTW we have a grey bin for landfill (we don't put much in it) green for recycling (gets the most rubbish) and brown for garden compostables (e.g. any plant material up to 100mm in diameter, but no soil)

They compost the garden stuff and sell it back to you:yes:

Access to my place is rather tricky, so we don't get the usual selection (can't get a bin lorry up to the house). There are black bins for landfill where the bin lorry can get to, otherwise there's a box (which I don't seem to have) for glass - I just take that down to the supermarket recycling point when I'm there for shopping anyway - and a bag which plastic, tins, and paper all go in to together. The choice of plastic that can go in seems pretty limited. There are some green bins too but I don't use them, there's little food waste anyway that I don't chuck in to the compost heap behind the greenhouse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spikey said:

Good grief!  I had no idea they still made that stuff, never mind that there are still folk who eat it.

They do indeed, but it's more crumbly than it used to be.

I do have Spoon Sized Shredded Wheat when I (or Mrs T) can get it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reorte said:

Begin pedantic mode...

A fire is a radiator - most of the heat you feel from it is radiated. The majority of warming from a "radiator" is convected, so "convector" would be a far better name (and thanks a bunch to some previous occupants who positioned radiator and curtains to send most of the heat behind the curtains).

I have my radiators hot enough to give Greta an early heart attack, so, the metal things on the wall piped to the water heating thingy** truely radiate the heat.

** I cannot call it a "boiler" because it does not actually boil the water & don't want to get rmdanted........

Edited by SamThomas
typo
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

As healthy as you can get - untill I drown it in full fat milk & shovel a load of suger on it !

So it's actually " Wholegrain Wheat (95%), Malted Barley Extract, Sugar, Salt, Niacin, Iron, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid".  I wonder why they have to "fortify" it.  But whatever, to each their own: I'll stick with my  bowl of porridge made with water, jumbo oats and a pinch of salt :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

That would assume there was a unified policy for waste collection across the country - there ain't, all have developed it differently and all interpret what is and isn't recyclable differently.

It's a nightmare, there is plenty of stuff I toss into the landfill bin that according to the packaging can be recycled but is on the council banned list for plastic recycling.

This is one of my pet peeves, as I'm sure I've ranted about on here before - our council still only accepts plastic bottles for recycling. No matter that a tray or whatever might be made of exactly the same type of plastic as a bottle, it still has to go into the general waste (incinerator rather than landfill)...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Well, isn't thread-drft marvellous??

We've got central heating, radiators, boilers, curtains, weetabix, bins, tips, re-cycling, you name it....  :)    :)

Seems quite on topic to me. You're soon not going to be able to afford to run your central heating and you'll need to know which colour bin to scavenge leftover Weetabix from.

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

32 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Well, isn't thread-drft marvellous??

We've got central heating, radiators, boilers, curtains, weetabix, bins, tips, re-cycling, you name it....  :)    :)

It's the panic buying of curtains that worries me the most....

• Funny 7

1 hour ago, spikey said:

So it's actually " Wholegrain Wheat (95%), Malted Barley Extract, Sugar, Salt, Niacin, Iron, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid".  I wonder why they have to "fortify" it.  But whatever, to each their own: I'll stick with my  bowl of porridge made with water, jumbo oats and a pinch of salt :)

As a child, I used to like porridge for breakfast. Though in retrospect it may have not been the cereal itself that was the attraction, but the evaporated milk and golden syrup that was lavished upon it. 

• Like 3

I went shopping to my local M & S today. They were all out of cabbages! How can there be a shortage of cabbages? All was not a total loss however, as I did manage to buy a large fresh looking cauliflower, so I can at least still obtain my weekly dose of brassica.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rocor said:

I went shopping to my local M & S today. They were all out of cabbages! How can there be a shortage of cabbages? All was not a total loss however, as I did manage to buy a large fresh looking cauliflower, so I can at least still obtain my weekly dose of brassica.

There was a bloke buying loads on Saturday in my local Sainsburys, perhaps he caused a shortage and then everyone panic bought

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, rocor said:

There were some nice large English caulis for 89p in Aldi last week.

Still got 2/3rds left for something tonight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, spikey said:

It's fortified for pregnant women's benefit, nearly all cereals are treated so.

Shredded Wheat is 100% wholegrain wheat, nowt else.

I actually have 7 different cereals, one for each day of the week. :D (No Shredded Wheat though, the missus has that!:()

Asda's Special Flakes or Aldi's Benefit Flakes, Maple and Pecan crisp, Weetabix, Cornflakes, Malted Wheaties, Granola, Muesli.:good:

• Like 2

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Well well well, both Facebook & instant Gram have crashed [outage, or is it outrage?}

There will be wailing, & gnashing of teeth nationwide....

Or, has there been a run on facebook that I've missed

Well you won't get Zuckerchops keeping everyone up to date, not like RMweb. ;)

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, hayfield said:

But if you are out there is no need to either heat that room, just because 7 out of the 8 thermostats are off, the one which is on controls the boiler

If I'm out, it's one of two scenarios - I'm at work, nothing is programmed for heat at that time, if I'm going out ad-hoc for the day or weekend, I simply tap the Away mode on either phone or main controller and nothing gets heated.

8 hours ago, hayfield said:

I am not saying the system I use is the best, nor do I use it to the fullest, but it certainly saves us money and we are retired, also both my son in law and daughter worked shifts, often conflicting with each other, it immediately halved their gas bill as it automatically adjusted to their working patterns

I wasn't targetting your system with my response, just pointing out to Stewart who asked what use smart valves are.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, 30801 said:

Oh you don't went to go there. The heat & humidity will warp your baseboards.

I'm going there to drink to forget.

Something.

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, 30801 said:

But if Facebook is broken how will you tell us RMweb is broken?

The other day when RMweb was down. There was a static web page, headed by a reassuring message that everything would be back to normal as soon as possible.

• Like 1