The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Carrying on opening pubs against government advice didn’t last long in Ireland ....... the government there have used a combination of ‘words’ with the licensed trade association and very public shaming to crack down on it over the weekend.

Theyre coming down on ‘house parties’ over there too, to avoid the pub effectively decamping to the nearest farm.

My guess is that pubs will shut here pretty swiftly, but we shall see.

We were due to reopen here on 4 April. I don't think that will be happening now and I will be cancelling the breweries' visits for work in the cellar.

If I have to self-isolate for 12 weeks, I think we are probably f****d!.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Was thinking of coming up that way with caravan, we often stay in Leyburn. If we come better make sure we’re fully stocked up.

We have a new caravan on order, due to be delivered in May - it might arrive too late to use it as a 'Mobile Self Isolation Unit'

Mike

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Tea, surely that's what the British should be panic-buying in a crisis; 

Way ahead of ya ;)

And no we didn't "panic buy" this lot, we bought them weeks before all this virus lark started, it's just that me and my Mrs get through so many teabags (helped by 1 pint mugs at a time) it makes sense to buy lots when they're on offer! :D

Should last us a while . . . 

Paul

IMG_20200316_2238413~2.jpg

Edited by Sprintex
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Martin Smith said:

Now is not the time to panic. Could somebody please let me know when it is the the time? 

25 o'clock?

17 minutes ago, Sprintex said:

so many teabags

At least it's the right tea ;)  We (inadvertently) took advantage of the same offer.  The normal order is for the 160-bag box.  On this occasion it arrived as the "50 free" box which proved too big for the cupboard so had to live elsewhere.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Which I suppose was a little harsh. 

Anyway, work tomorrow. Test and certify 130 emergency lights, or at least some of them. Might seem a silly idea, but if this whole thing gets seriously out of hand the electricity might be in as short a supply as the bog roll............ 

26 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Opinions please: does The POTUS look unwell in this clip?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51919945

And, does the blink-rate of the woman standing behind him suggest that she is really worried?

He looks like I imagine many 73 year old men faced with a high pressure job and some serious issues to deal with would look like.

Oh and he is orange of course.

Its ok though cos if he loses the next POTUS will only be nearly 80 

• Agree 1

I wonder if there will be any panic buying of Peco Track with all this self-isolation thing going on us older members of the UK population could spend our time making model railways :smoke:

Now there's an idea we could start a self isolation modeller thread :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Opinions please: does The POTUS look unwell in this clip?

He rarely looks "well". Without being political, he is in way over his head. He was tested for COVID-19 on Friday and his test was negative.

Google "trump hot mike before / after oval office address" to peer behind the veil. Cameras were rolling before and after the President's address to the nation from the Oval Office last week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gismorail said:

I wonder if there will be any panic buying of Peco Track with all this self-isolation thing going on us older members of the UK population could spend our time making model railways :smoke:

I am out of Peco track (plenty of turnouts though). 

Looks as though I will have to self-isolate for the 12 weeks. Plenty of diy work that I can get done if I can get supplies but they will probably run short and then some modelling will be very therapeutic. Need glues etc and they are difficult to get mail order.

46 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Need glues etc and they are difficult to get mail order.

No problem whatsoever within the UK in my experience, unless of course you meant to add "without paying extra for courier delivery".

Edited by spikey
the inevitable typo

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gismorail said:

Should it happen, that thread is a very good idea. I've got a few dozen wagons to work on, so the thought of having some enforced solitude will be a heaven-sent opportunity.

3 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

I use a hose near the throne. Much better and saves bogroll.

Most hotels I have visited in Thailand have such a hose. It feel so much more hygenic than what we are used to over here.

It wouldn't take much to plumb it in. Maybe it is something which should be adopted in the UK?

I am still wondering how the 3 sea shells work! :D

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

I think it would need to be plumbed into the hot water supply in winter.

It doesn't get that cold as there are hot water pipes in close proximity anyway. Mind you, after eating certain foods, the colder the better.

Edited by Baby Deltic