The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Complete with flushing channel underneath and smaller one in front for washing. Quite good remains of it at Housesteads, on Hadrian's Wall.

49 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I haven't used the facilities though. Well, not yet, anyway...

Not quite as splendid as those at Termessos (turn left just before the entrance to the theatre as approached from the Stoa of Attalos, and climb through the encroaching plant life). It's the original long drop karzi, or alternatively a loo with a view, cunningly sited to a precipice. The shaped marble seats are unlike those of any other public convenience I have ever experienced. No sponges on a stick, but ample ferns in easy reach. Bet none of our current equivalents are still functioning after the best part of 2000 years without maintenance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Bet none of our current equivalents are still functioning after the best part of 2000 years without maintenance.

Any chance of a 2000 year old tree someone went behind back then?

20 minutes ago, Legend said:

Lots of mince in my Morrissons . A multipack offer of 3 for a tenner , so if they really don't want to encourage bulk buying so there is enough for everyone , what's with the bulk buying discount?

Not a chicken breast to be had . Shame as I fancied chicken curry tonight . Oh well I daresay someones at home with a gross of chicken breasts and toilet rolls.

Like most offers (including model railway discounts) trying to get rid of items that they have too much of. As you say they have lots of mince.

It's not so much stopping people buying in bulk. It's buying the wrong things in bulk and stopping others who need that item having them through greed.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Mrs BoD works in one of the large supermarkets and today she was berated by a customer for their policy of  ‘rationing’ toilet rolls to 24 per customer.  
The reason for her upset?   “We’ve got three toilets in our house“.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Reorte said:

How much longer until the stockpilers have stockpiled so much that they stop emptying the shelves?

Locally - today.  Outside our local shop there is a pallet of toilet rolls and another of kitchen towels.  There is no shortage of anything inside either - so much so that it is hard to get past boxes in the aisles.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Locally - today.  Outside our local shop there is a pallet of toilet rolls and another of kitchen towels.  There is no shortage of anything inside either - so much so that it is hard to get past boxes in the aisles.  

Panic buying over?

Shelves full, money run out?

• Agree 1

NEWSFLASH - The BBC is tonight replacing the popular programme "Crime Watch" with "Toilet Roll Watch" - They're changing the "police marching" music to more sombre chamber music !!

YOU will be filmed, named and shamed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

5 hours ago, alastairq said:

I have a Vax pressure washer...will that do the trick??

I do a pawstand in the shower.  Not only does the trick, it also gets a round of applause.

4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

The Romans did indeed have a version of thee 'Bum Gun'. Apparently, it was a forked stick with some sponge installed in the cleft.

You could be onto something there...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

However our local is full of people panic drinking. 

Enjoy while you can.

There is no restriction on drinking. Advice, yes, but we are free to act as we choose. 

Unlike the Spanish who are now being tracked by drone in order to locate and identify people out and about. My opinion on that would probably win me a long self-isolation from RMweb. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Carrying on opening pubs against government advice didn’t last long in Ireland ....... the government there have used a combination of ‘words’ with the licensed trade association and very public shaming to crack down on it over the weekend.

Theyre coming down on ‘house parties’ over there too, to avoid the pub effectively decamping to the nearest farm.

My guess is that pubs will shut here pretty swiftly, but we shall see.

Edited by Nearholmer

Metro paper reporting panic buying of guns in the USA and long queues to get cannabis in Holland. I don't feel so guilty now for getting an extra bottle of gin to see me though a period of govenment house arrest

• Like 2

Some ill informed idiot in Eastbourne put up a post on FB saying they'd heard petrol was in short supply in the town. Cue big queues and jerry cans. I expect they'll be storing the petrol under the stairs alongside the 10 year supply of loo roll they stockpiled. I guess the fire brigade could be busy :(

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

What was it the intelligent gremlin said in Gremlins 2?

"Yes, we are telling our clients to put everything into canned food and shotguns..."

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, steve W said:

Metro paper reporting panic buying of guns in the USA and long queues to get cannabis in Holland.

Tea, surely that's what the British should be panic-buying in a crisis; its certainly what they had a big debate about hoarding in 1939.

This loo roll business doesn't seem at all British.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Tea, surely that's what the British should be panic-buying in a crisis; its certainly what they had a big debate about hoarding in 1939.

This loo roll business doesn't seem at all British.

You are "behind the curve". It's coffee these days. I believe that we can date the railways' problems from the late 80's when they stopped running on tea.

As someone who thoroughly dislikes tea, is addicted to coffee, and has spent 40+ years in various railway roles, I could take that badly, but won't.

Coffee hoarding was a problem at the start of WW2 as well, and there was a really bizarre legal case that ruled coffee to be a food, and tea not (or the other way round) on the basis that the leaves (or grounds) aren't consumed ........... it had something to do with which one coald, and which one couldn't legally be hoarded after rationing was introduced.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sharris said:

You're on a roll with these toilet paper gags

So long as the gag is applied before the intended use...  :crazy:

And on that note, I think I'll leave...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2