The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile back at the panic buying (or not).. I've just been to the 'big little supermarket' in Llandysul and it was noticeably busier than 10:30 on a Tuesday.  There were no pre-bagged potatoes (although a reasonable supply of loose) and citrus fruits were depleted rarther than empty.  Loo rolls depleted but not empty (though it's been that way since the initial rush).

My perception is people have been spooked a bit by yesterday's tightening of the screws a getting a small trolley worth to top up rather than panic buy.  No-one seemed to be going OTT with anything.  At the time I arrived I got the last small trolley whereas there'd normally be say half a dozen.   Hardly any big trollies in use.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Most hotels I have visited in Thailand have such a hose. It feel so much more hygenic than what we are used to over here.

It wouldn't take much to plumb it in. Maybe it is something which should be adopted in the UK?

The Hyacinth Buckets of the 80/90's would be fine, they may still have their bidet that were all the rage back then plumbed in.

• Like 1

All these people buying pasta, rice and canned foods have got it wrong in my opinion. There is little to no nutritional value in any of those foods and (with the exception of canned foods) they need to be cooked to be palatable. They would be better off buying bags of nuts and seeds such as almonds and peanuts. Far more nutrition, they take longer to digest and give more energy and in an emergency if there is no gas or electricity and you don't have a camping stove, almonds burn for a long time so you could still cook your breakfast on them.

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just been to my local model shop,  very low stocks of glue left due to people stocking up in case they have to stay at home. Looking forward to seeing what everyone makes.  I’m expecting to have no paid work so I got a box of 120 unpainted people to fill my coaches, painting  them should keep me occupied for a while.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Timed it perfectly as Sainsburys toilet roll delivery arrived as I got there. There was a queue of people waiting for them. All very cordial when they handed out the packs straight off the trolley. I bet there's none left in store now . Feels almost as good as when I got my first ipad on the day they were launched. Stress free number twos for a while longer!!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Tuesday last week we had to get one of our cars MOt'd and took it in early, about 0800. We then went to the nearby Tesco to do our weekly shop, as it did 2 jobs in one trip. The place was almost deserted and were home just after 0900.

What a difference a week makes. Same scenario today, other car for service, drop it off go to Tesco. 

Hardly a space in the car park, loads of people, long queues at the checkouts, both manned and self service. 

The lady that served us said customers were queuing up outside prior to the store opening.

We did manage to get most of what we wanted, although some higher priced substitutions had to be taken.

We've now gone to a home delivery, but can't guarantee all we've ordered will turn up in 2 weeks time.

Even online things such as toilet rolls, potatoes, pasta and eggs weren't available.

Rob

Heads up for anyone who uses Iceland supermarkets.

Both of my local Iceland supermarkets have changed their store times with immediate effect, opening later and closing earlier than usual. Also the first two hours of trading on Wednesdays for the foreseeable are for the over 60s only, apparently this is company wide.

36 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

aliens.jpg

Golgafrinchans we know what caused their demise!

These tales of impending doom allowed the to rid themselves of an entire useless third of their population. The story was that they would build three Ark ships. Into the A ship would go all the leaders, scientists and other high achievers. The C ship would contain all the people who made things and did things, and the B Ark would hold everyone else, such as hairdressers and telephone sanitisers. They sent the B ship off first, but of course, the other two-thirds of the population stayed on the planet and lived full, rich and happy lives until they were all wiped out by a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I think we can all congratulate ourselves on being members of the only Self-Isolating model railway club in the UK!

But I use electrofrogs ;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Paul.Uni said:

Heads up for anyone who uses Iceland supermarkets.

Both of my local Iceland supermarkets have changed their store times with immediate effect, opening later and closing earlier than usual. Also the first two hours of trading on Wednesdays for the foreseeable are for the over 60s only, apparently this is company wide.

Oh goodie.  Another benefit of being over 60!   Never used Iceland but it is within distant walking range.  However for as long as I am permitted to work I am employed during those hours.  A very good move for many others though.  And being copied by most major stores I believe.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Meanwhile back at the panic buying (or not).. I've just been to the 'big little supermarket' in Llandysul and it was noticeably busier than 10:30 on a Tuesday.  There were no pre-bagged potatoes (although a reasonable supply of loose) and citrus fruits were depleted rarther than empty.  Loo rolls depleted but not empty (though it's been that way since the initial rush).

My perception is people have been spooked a bit by yesterday's tightening of the screws a getting a small trolley worth to top up rather than panic buy.  No-one seemed to be going OTT with anything.  At the time I arrived I got the last small trolley whereas there'd normally be say half a dozen.   Hardly any big trollies in use.

In Australia, people are organising bus tours to go plundering small town supermarkets. Anything within 1 1/2 hours of the big cities seem to be fair game.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Some ill informed idiot in Eastbourne put up a post on FB saying they'd heard petrol was in short supply in the town. Cue big queues and jerry cans. I expect they'll be storing the petrol under the stairs alongside the 10 year supply of loo roll they stockpiled. I guess the fire brigade could be busy :(

No room under my stairs (full of bog roll and pasta) so I've stashed 80 litres in the bath.  A quick dip twice a day should see me ok.

14 hours ago, Dave John said:

Might seem a silly idea, but if this whole thing gets seriously out of hand the electricity might be in as short a supply as the bog roll............ 

...At which point all that food in freezers doesn't seem to be such a bright idea after all....

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Most hotels I have visited in Thailand have such a hose. It feel so much more hygenic than what we are used to over here.

It wouldn't take much to plumb it in. Maybe it is something which should be adopted in the UK?

I am still wondering how the 3 sea shells work! :D

Korean Hotels have very nifty bog seats with built in spray nozzles, pressure, oscillating control, blow dry, heated seat....

Great Fun, and available on Amazon....

1 hour ago, mezzoman253 said:

Tuesday last week we had to get one of our cars MOt'd and took it in early, about 0800. We then went to the nearby Tesco to do our weekly shop, as it did 2 jobs in one trip. The place was almost deserted and were home just after 0900.

What a difference a week makes. Same scenario today, other car for service, drop it off go to Tesco. 

I hit Asda in Stevenage at 05-55 this morning, figuring the place would be pretty empty and all shelves full after night replenishment.  Oh, how wrong....

Looked like the place had been hit by locusts, with many shelves bare

4 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

In Australia, people are organising bus tours to go plundering small town supermarkets. Anything within 1 1/2 hours of the big cities seem to be fair game.

Really ?!?

So let's all get into the close confines of a bus for, say, four hours!

That should certainly bring the peak infection period significantly closer.

Don't these people have ANY common sense?

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

One thing I've been meaning to ask. Why is there such a run on pasta?  Is it because it's so useful (to the way some people cook/eat) or is chavs who think the stuff is actually coming from Italy?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Really ?!?

So let's all get into the close confines of a bus for, say, four hours!

That should certainly bring the peak infection period significantly closer.

Don't these people have ANY common sense?

John Isherwood.

Sadly 100% true!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Metr0Land said:

One thing I've been meaning to ask. Why is there such a run on pasta?  Is it because it's so useful (to the way some people cook/eat) or is chavs who think the stuff is actually coming from Italy?

The non-fresh stuff will keep for ages and easy to cook if the usual kitchen supremo is off sick.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Metr0Land said:

Some in our supermarkets, does in fact come from Italy.

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Oh goodie.  Another benefit of being over 60!   Never used Iceland but it is within distant walking range.  However for as long as I am permitted to work I am employed during those hours.  A very good move for many others though.  And being copied by most major stores I believe.  

I tried Ocado this morning, and the online queue to get to the shopping page was 12,000 long. It said I would have to wait 3 hours, but I just left the queue page open and read a book and it was about an hour before I got through to add to my order. However, I don't have much else to do - while the new kitchen is being installed, so hey-ho. 

I was amazed that they had packs of 18 toilet rolls said to be in stock. I didn't order any, but I wonder what percentage of any order will actually turn up? 

Tins of tomatoes seem to be available, if one is prepared to but expensive organic ones, but very little flour for some reason. Are all the toilet roll hoarders now busy making cakes and pastries?