RMweb

Self isolation support group

Neil
Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

If Horst & Gunther lived in France - in which case they might have different names - they would henceforth, if leaving their garden gate, be required to carry an attestation (a self-certificate) justifying their impertinence in doing so. 100,000 policemen, say the Government, have been mobilised to detect any breach of this law. Fines start at 38 euros and go up to 4-figures. 

France spends a large amount in maintaining a well manned police force,as well as other civil law enforcement organisations I believe . Here we do things rather differently which is why we get rumblings of using the forces to augment  the thin blue line. Contrast this with the NYPD which last Thanksgiving Parade had a 2 officer patrol car at every crossing/street block in Midtown Manhattan. You then have to believe the economic affluence of the US. Cops and their mobile hardware are ever present.Great that they can afford a well manned law enforcement.It would be reassuring to have more police on our streets right now.Don’t know whether French citizens will see it that way just now.....

And in the middle of posting this,just received a message from senior grandson who came home from his restaurant job yesterday with what it seems could well be IT.Anyway he’s self isolating.....with obvious consequences for the other three family members....Hope it’s a false alarm

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

If Horst & Gunther lived in France - in which case they might have different names - they would henceforth, if leaving their garden gate, be required to carry an attestation (a self-certificate) justifying their impertinence in doing so. 100,000 policemen, say the Government, have been mobilised to detect any breach of this law. Fines start at 38 euros and go up to 4-figures. 

I doubt we have 100,000 policemen over here.

However, perhaps a new 'Corps of Snoopers, Snitchers and Informers' could be formed (mostly from the otherwise not-required-for-the-duration ranks of private Car Park Attendants), to do the dirty business.

Either way, unless le Gouvernement is monitoring all phone calls, texts and e-mails, it would be a simple matter for Henri to state on his attestation that Gaston has some spare medication that he urgently needs or Gaston may state that he needs to hurry over to Henri's place to repair his coffee percolator.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Anti-bac spray unlikely to be effective against a virus. Disinfectant better.

Understood, thanks Joseph.

I used Dettol Surface Spray, as it claims to "Kills 99.9% of all Bactaria & Viruses".

Other products are potentially available (if the shelves haven't been emptied).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

IPA will evaporate in a very short space of time, so are you repeating the spraying on a regular basis?

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

IPA will evaporate in a very short space of time, so are you repeating the spraying on a regular basis?

Yes on the gloves, but for hand sanitising use IPA/Glycerol mix as per WHO and ably demonstrated by Charlie at Chadwick MR on YouTube

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thinking about deliveries, specifically letters in this case (our postie doesn't wear gloves, for example), what I have been doing (when I remember), is to (a) not touch my face after handling the post and disposing of the envelope and (b) giving my hands a jolly good wash immediately afterwards.

Using disposable gloves is all very well, but unless you've got a large supply of them, you risk running out after a few days, unless perhaps you give the outside of the gloves a careful wash with some diluted bleach or other 'nasty' disinfectant, taking much care not to get it on your skin.

Oh, and I can't be the only one who's now developing dry skin, due to the amount of gel and handwashing that is now being done?

Me too.....there,I’ve said it....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for starting this Neil and to others contributing. I am of the yellow alert level (age) and amber (due to an earlier myocardial infarction). I need to keep a level of exercise so oedema is kept I check so I will continue with my local walks, during which I would be lucky to meet three people and we can, of course,acknowledge each other without coming within the dreaded 2m radius. This “event” is removing another obstacle to proceeding with Kingzance and the stock to operate on it! Be careful and be good all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I have been sort of self isolating for about a week, as I am not yet 70 but I get asthma and at the moment it is hardly noticeable (I put that down to a cut in road transport emissions). However, until yesterday my wife seemed rather dismissive of my over cautiousness, until she phoned our near neighbours to ask if they would like to come round for a cuppa and a chat. 

They replied that they were self isolating already because the husband is 71 and the wife is in remission from skin cancer. As she was a career pharmacist, when she makes quasi-medical decisions my wife takes notice; and she has postponed her bus ride into town, even though I said the bus would probably be half empty and she could hopefully sit somewhere well away from other passengers. 

She is now even more serious about not going out than me. It would seem that my decisions have no bearing on swmbo, but that of the neighbours counts for everything - well thanks, dear. 

Even stranger is my granddaughter's teacher. Today was going to be teachers assessment to parents day for my daughter, but granddaughter is off school anyway with chickenpox which she has caught from her younger brother who is recovering slowly, so they are both at home. My daughter rang the primary school admin and said that due to all the circumstances, would it be ok to miss the assessment for this term. The school secretary seemed quite understanding and said that they could arrange a phone conversation (which seems eminently sensible), and my daughter was quite happy with this conclusion. 

An hour or so later, the teacher phoned to say that she insisted on a face to face assessment and if my daughter would not comply she would have to cancel the pre-arranged appointment. 

I'm not sure what might happen now, but who do these teachers think they are? Granddaughter is only in Year 1 at primary school, so it is not as if her career is in danger. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I have been sort of self isolating for about a week, as I am not yet 70 but I get asthma and at the moment it is hardly noticeable (I put that down to a cut in road transport emissions). However, until yesterday my wife seemed rather dismissive of my over cautiousness, until she phoned our near neighbours to ask if they would like to come round for a cuppa and a chat. 

They replied that they were self isolating already because the husband is 71 and the wife is in remission from skin cancer. As she was a career pharmacist, when she makes quasi-medical decisions my wife takes notice; and she has postponed her bus ride into town, even though I said the bus would probably be half empty and she could hopefully sit somewhere well away from other passengers. 

She is now even more serious about not going out than me. It would seem that my decisions have no bearing on swmbo, but that of the neighbours counts for everything - well thanks, dear. 

Even stranger is my granddaughter's teacher. Today was going to be teachers assessment to parents day for my daughter, but granddaughter is off school anyway with chickenpox which she has caught from her younger brother who is recovering slowly, so they are both at home. My daughter rang the primary school admin and said that due to all the circumstances, would it be ok to miss the assessment for this term. The school secretary seemed quite understanding and said that they could arrange a phone conversation (which seems eminently sensible), and my daughter was quite happy with this conclusion. 

An hour or so later, the teacher phoned to say that she insisted on a face to face assessment and if my daughter would not comply she would have to cancel the pre-arranged appointment. 

I'm not sure what might happen now, but who do these teachers think they are? Granddaughter is only in Year 1 at primary school, so it is not as if her career is in danger. 

Ring the school and ask what exactly is school policy on parent/school communication.Insist of speaking to the head teacher.If this is declined ( unlikely ) then your next port of call is the parent governor with the issue.

I confess I am somewhat mystified by this lack of cooperation,especially as telephone contact with your GP is standard practice and more so now under present circumstances. As an old lag in the game,I think Miss is writing her own script.

If such an attitude is accepted practice,it should change.Challenge it : but diplomatically and through the proper channels.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sharris said:

SWMBO looked at me working from home in a t-shirt and shorts and said 'Is it summer already?'...

She might have had a point - since then it's got nippy enough to warrant a jumper and long trousers, and she's having an afternoon nap. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Yes on the gloves, but for hand sanitising use IPA/Glycerol mix as per WHO and ably demonstrated by Charlie at Chadwick MR on YouTube

Wash your hands for twenty seconds whilst still wearing gloves, then save the gloves for re-use.  Wash again with gloves off, just to be sure.

I have gone to my other halfs so we can look after each other better (more likely he'll look after me more though). It does mean I have the company of Poppy for the duration however, so not all bad.

I made sure to bring some supplies with me. Plenty of kits and track building items to keep me busy assuming I can be bothered to start of course!

Still the company is nice, if a bit bouncy.

DSC_0014_1507290274088 (2).JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Try buying some IPA now....It's like gold dust and probably more expensive...:D

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Try buying some IPA now....It's like gold dust and probably more expensive...:D

It's like many things that those at risk or suspected of having CV would like to get hold of but the vultures have bagged it all (in quantity) because they are more important.

Even electronic supplies companies have run out of IPA.

It's brought out the selfishness in humanity with the "me first grab it all" attitude.

It's become dog eat dog and we haven't even got to the worst part.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Sherry and I have no alternative to being apart for months. I had expected to travel to be with her next week, but we agreed that I might be kept in the UK for many months while the virus does its thing, and meanwhile Chez Moi would go to pot. Our cruise to celebrate Sherry's 70th has been cancelled anyway. My tumbledown 1850 cottage sits in a rural acre, and there's quite a lot of grass! And I am not short of modelling opportunities. I don't have the skills necessary to own a 'kit mountain' but there are lots of things that warmer weather will permit. In June the 24 hr race takes place at Le Mans, and I can see that being scrubbed this year. Will I get a refund on our seats in the Members' Grandstand? 

Isolation will be tempered by weekly visits by Alison, my Scots cleaner. And I will be required to take my usual role of being her girlfriend, analysing the actions and motives of the French farmer who has been her lover for the last 7 years. At least he's finally left his wife and moved in, but it isn't that simple.... 

But the ace in the hole for all of us is modern comms. Sherry and I text multiple times a day, and generally have at least an hour on a landline call. I hope others of you will settle into regime of regular calls to friends and loved-ones. It can be so uplifting to talk, share and enthuse, reminisce and plan for tomorrow, whenever that is.

The leader of the opposition is in France, and her return ferry on Thursday night has been cancelled.  She has just sent me a text saying more sailings are cancelled, so I don't know at this stage when I will see her again.  I can't seem to get through on the phone at the moment either.

I want her back.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

However, perhaps a new 'Corps of Snoopers, Snitchers and Informers' could be formed (mostly from the otherwise not-required-for-the-duration ranks of private Car Park Attendants), to do the dirty business.

Be so very careful for want you wish for. Big Brother might not be watching you, but 'Madge' over at 110 is watching your every move. It's a very short step to "Officer! Something is wrong! The people over the road have a new car!  How did they manage that?" I fully know it's an over-exaggeration, but things have a way of going like that. 

Such by small events, does the world turns....

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Kelly said:

I have gone to my other halfs so we can look after each other better (more likely he'll look after me more though). It does mean I have the company of Poppy for the duration however, so not all bad.

I made sure to bring some supplies with me. Plenty of kits and track building items to keep me busy assuming I can be bothered to start of course!

Still the company is nice, if a bit bouncy.

DSC_0014_1507290274088 (2).JPG

That's nice. What breed?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, spikey said:

Having last night sampled the first bottle from our latest batch of home brew (Munton's Wherry, since you ask, and very nice it is too, thank you), I am reminded to suggest home brewing to those who haven't tried it.  Doesn't need a lot of kit, it's a doddle to do, and the counter to wifely (partnerly?) objection is - 50p a pint :)

Which reminds me that I still have to bottle the 5 gallons of cider currently sat in the utility room. Or do the ballasting on the layout. Or shovel the 2 tons of topsoil that turned up unexpectedly (apparently so many cancelled orders that I got moved up the delivery schedule) mid-morning. Or just procrastinate a wee bit longer...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Was going to work on the layout - but - 

Nice, sunny and unusually warm here in Wigan today, been dry the last couple of days and I could hear the lawnmowers out - so I did the lawn, and the weeding etc. The BBQ cover looked sad, so threw that away, and decided to light the BBQ to dry it out so minor repairs can be done, Cue the sausages and wife BBQ'd some fish and pork.  Sod it - I'll have a beer as well (just one !!).

Clouding up now, BBQ cooled, repairs done, back indoors on the computer -- Layout tomorrow (or perhaps a couple of jobs on the car) !!

Make the most of your time, especially on a nice day. At least the worst of winter should now be over. Spring has always been my favourite season.

Brit15

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Was going to work on the layout - but - 

Nice, sunny and unusually warm here in Wigan today, been dry the last couple of days and I could hear the lawnmowers out - so I did the lawn, and the weeding etc. The BBQ cover looked sad, so threw that away, and decided to light the BBQ to dry it out so minor repairs can be done, Cue the sausages and wife BBQ'd some fish and pork.  Sod it - I'll have a beer as well (just one !!).

Clouding up now, BBQ cooled, repairs done, back indoors on the computer -- Layout tomorrow (or perhaps a couple of jobs on the car) !!

Make the most of your time, especially on a nice day. At least the worst of winter should now be over. Spring has always been my favourite season.

Brit15

fantastic, love it--one of the best posts I have seen all day! thanks for sharing.

could do with some sunny skies here in NI -- rain all day and it's a public holiday too, typical!

all the best,

Keith

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

If anyone needs some kits building I can now do Cambrian Walruses with me peepers closed. CBA to post any more pics as they all look alike to me, except one is black and the others aren't (yet).

Apologies for Anxiety blip earlier and really kind comments much appreciated. Anyone that has had or has the condition knows that it only takes a 'trigger' and if the 'safety catch'(meds) is off then bang. At the moment the trigger is being pilled every couple of minutes and even if I'm not listening I know it is still happening. Booooooo!

CK, those films are brill and the last one was freezing mate.

Ar$£

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

With a large number of RMweb members possibly self isolating I wonder if its an opportune time for @Andy Y

To do one of his gold membership discount offers ? I'm thinking of those who normally go out to buy the hard copy of a magazine who wont be able to, and also all those back issues available to browse while self isolating :read:  Go on  Andy you know its a good idea :good_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps @Mallard60022 could get a little light relief from this.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-wildlife/keeping-our-ducks-healthy

There a a few things like word search puzzles and suggestions for things to do in the Duck Guide download.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-wildlife/keeping-our-ducks-healthy/duck-guide

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice thread to have started, thank you.

We're (Mrs and I) are both 71 so in the "demographic", generally healthy but still a few underlying issues (seasonal asthma/allergies/respiratory issues) to so demand some caution.

We've been social distancing for a few days now, simply seems like it makes sense, we plan to be fairly self-isolating for probably another two weeks or so. We can, here, pick up prescription renewals at a drive-up window - needs to be done today for one for Mrs. Far as food etc goes we have what we "think" will do, and our daughter is going to shop for a few extras tomorrow as she needs to shop herself as she's been gone - see below.

Other than that;

i) Son and daughter-in-law are so far OK, he's a dean of students at a school, so lots of contact with runny nosed kids - schools in Minnesota are now closed. She's a clinical psychologist, mostly at risk teens, her appointments are currently on hold, she was supposed to have a kidney-stone surgery this week, that's postponed.

ii) Daughter is a pilot for Delta - returning home tomorrow from a 4-day trip to Kingston, Cancun and several US cities. Concerns about both job (likely to be furloughed for a while) and exposure on this latest trip.

iii) I'm still working, in IT, and fortunately routinely work from home, so that's no issue. I travel, mostly to NY, to client(s) but those trips are on hold for now.

Currently "here in the US" we're still recommended to get out into the fresh air and walk, keeping a distance of course, so doing just that. Also, whilst it might some a bit lame, we love doing jig-saw puzzles so that as well as some TV will keep us occupied.

I WAS going to start a garden railway this spring, and should still be able to get to that hopefully, and as we recently moved, the indoor layout is dismantled in the basement but needs reconstructing - plenty to do there.

Take care all...

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5