The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Just had an update on my home delivery for 2 weeks + time

About 25% of the products have been struck off (OOS) dropping me well below the minimum order and slapping on an extra £3

One of the items showing out of stock suggested an alternative, which was also out of stock.

What a farce.

This rate there won't be anything to deliver.

So much for self isolation, at least another three weeks of trawling the food shops for us.

We managed to get on the ASDA site this afternoon and did an order, just a normal order for us but of course things like soap, bleach, toilet rolls (surprise, surprise) pasta, kids yoghurts etc etc were OOS, we still managed a fair amount only to get an email confirmation an hour later informing us that almost half the stuff we thought we could get was unavailable, like you I seriously don’t know what we’ll do for household stuff, luckily we can still get delivered from small local shops eggs, milk, bread etc......we have got four adults and two very young children in the house, three cans  of baked beans don’t go very far!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

My working-from-home desk has arrived.

I'm not sure I need to read all these pages:

instructions.jpg.e271f2f4e49e18d2a9f4679a3688c57e.jpg

I have two issues though with this page:

tools.jpg.ddb14cab06d48ec24b1323d4fd68a3f6.jpg

a) I'm not sure they are both Philips screwdrivers

b ) Where's the mask ?

How many languages are included in those 26 pages

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Seen in an email from Walthers:

Challenge breeds creativity.

I want to reach out personally to let you know that I am thinking about you, our customers, right now.

These are unusual times…and when things feel different, challenging, or concerning, I think there’s a real opportunity for us all…

To slow down.
To find calm in the chaos.
To be present.
To connect to those things that deeply matter to us.
To think creatively.
To BE creative.

To have fun, to stay active and occupied with things that are productive.

I think hobbies (especially ours, the World’s Greatest Hobby!), are excellent pursuits during times like these.

I hope you will take the opportunity to be creative, to find calm, to find comfort and connection in your model railroading hobby right now. I hope you find fun and joy in controlling your own little world when the big one around you feels a little out of control.

Sending good thoughts to all those battling COVID-19 and to those whose worlds feel upended by it.

Stay safe folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Apparently unofficial thinking in medical quarters is yes, entirely possible, not that they can catch it medically (or at least no evidence of that at all) but dogs and cats could carry it in their fur, my grand children have been told not to pet any dogs walking on our beach, better safe than sorry.

As explained to me by a retired doctor, this is just them acting like a worktop or door knob.  They don't catch it as such but can carry it on their surfaces.

Good washing procedures required after handling your pet(s).

PS.

I hope that I am allowed to join the group as an enforced isolationer.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

We managed to get on the ASDA site this afternoon and did an order, just a normal order for us but of course things like soap, bleach, toilet rolls (surprise, surprise) pasta, kids yoghurts etc etc were OOS, we still managed a fair amount only to get an email confirmation an hour later informing us that almost half the stuff we thought we could get was unavailable, like you I seriously don’t know what we’ll do for household stuff, luckily we can still get delivered from small local shops eggs, milk, bread etc......we have got four adults and two very young children in the house, three cans  of baked beans don’t go very far!

I added another item which was showing in stock, to the previous list, only for that to go out of stock almost immediately.

Quite clearly the whole thing is turning into a farce, if the items continue to disappear at the same rate it will pointless having anything delivered.

The system is broken.

I have actually sent an e-mail to my MP asking him to get his colleagues in Westminster to get some mandatory system in place to stop stockpiling because the pleas to not do it are being ignored at the detriment of the old who they are trying to protect.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Try freezing lettuce and tomatoes.......ugh!

Most soft fruit & vegetables will disintegrate if frozen, probably turning brown in the process.

Even potatoes will succomb

How about being positive about this….make veg soup and freeze that, even using Lettuce, but lettuce is shite anyway except  as something  to put with Salad Cream in a sandwich!

Make fruit smoothies and freeze, or just cook the bloody stuff such as apples ffs! Wildfruits such as Raspberries will freeze as they are. Do people not know this sort of thing these days? Fortunately we have loads of Rhubarb at the Allotment and there is also plenty on some of the abandoned and not now used ones. 

You can grow yer own spuds in a plastic bag in the garden or yard if you do not have a garden. maybe some folk will become more self sufficient and also get off their arses and seek out certain edible stuff 'in the wild'.

I'm wondering if I should get a Shotgun and Licence and also a Fishing permit for our local River.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, melmerby said:

I added another item which was showing in stock, to the previous list, only for that to go out of stock almost immediately.

Quite clearly the whole thing is turning into a farce, if the items continue to disappear at the same rate it will pointless having anything delivered.

The system is broken.

I have actually sent an e-mail to my MP asking him to get his colleagues in Westminster to get some mandatory system in place to stop stockpiling because the pleas to not do it are being ignored at the detriment of the old who they are trying to protect.

I notice though we can go on the amend the order until roughly the day before, so we have it in the diary to pop in again and check/amend/add to the order if at all possible if there is a chance of more stock being available by then.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

How about being positive about this….make veg soup and freeze that, even using Lettuce, but lettuce is shite anyway except  as something  to put with Salad Cream in a sandwich!

Make fruit smoothies and freeze, or just cook the bloody stuff such as apples ffs! Wildfruits such as Raspberries will freeze as they are. Do peope not know tyhis sort of thing these days? Fortunately we have loads of Rhubarb at the Allotment and there is also plenty on some of the abandoned and not now used ones. 

You can grow yer own spuds in a plastic bag in the garden or yard if you do not have a garden. maybe some folk will become more self sufficient and also get off their arses and seek out certain edible stuff 'in the wild'.

I'm wondering if I should get a Shotgun and Licence and also a Fishing permit for our local River.

Pity most supermarkets don't have any of that just now....

I am growing stuff (I do each year) but it's a bit early to crop anything, especially as winter was a washout and even the raised beds were waterlogged.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, melmerby said:

About 25% of the products have been struck off (OOS) dropping me well below the minimum order and slapping on an extra £3

One of the items showing out of stock suggested an alternative, which was also out of stock.

What a farce.

This rate there won't be anything to deliver.

So much for self isolation, at least another three weeks of trawling the food shops for us.

I think all those being told items are OOS for a delivery 3 weeks away should find an email address and complain. The supermarkets are saying there is no shortage, its panic buying that is emptying the shelves so how can they justify putting stock daily on the shelves to be 'panic bought' and not arange to supply the store with items to fulfil orders to be delivered 3 weeks away ! I understand they may reduce numbers if you over order, but telling you out of stock 3 weeks before delivery really isnt on. It sounds like they need to adjust computer systems to allow items to be pending and then allocate stock when the delivery date aproaches

Rant over lol

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, rab said:

How many languages are included in those 26 pages

Just the one.

And there is a major error, which luckily I spotted before it became an issue.

Just missing one dowel to fix the final draw together with, and the store in the garage not supplying one either it means a trip to a diy emporium tomorrow. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

That's taking the p1ss.  Their fault, not yours.  So there should be no minimum order charge in such a case.  In any event, people will naturally order a certain amount even if they don't need it yet, in order to avoid the minimum order charge.

This is the sort of thing they need to jump on, very quickly:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEINZ-BAKED-BEANS-in-tomato-sauce-6-x-415g-Tins-Tinned-food-PACK-OF-6-UK-STOCK/392728027606?hash=item5b706a21d6:g:GewAAOSwx9pebo~T

The going rate would be around three quid.....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Pity most supermarkets don't have any of that just now....

I am growing stuff (I do each year) but it's a bit early to crop anything, especially as winter was a washout and even the raised beds were waterlogged.

Supermarkets may not have these items, but in Worcestershire are there no small shops or Farm Shops or 'direct' gate sales? Difficult to access if you don't have transport or have mobilty problems and so this access thing needs sorting by a proactive Local Council or maybe other active groups such as the Lions or Rotary r maybe even something like the County Rugby Club.

Andy Burnham has Manchester, which in ways is different of course, but his City Council is empowering their Firefighting Force and others to use their skills and some suitable resources to support the 'vulnerable', even with quite simple tasks such as collecting and delivering goods. I believe that they are also working with the shops to provide 'security' to manage the idiots. That's Manchester of course, but Worcestershire where you are, could get themselves into a similar mindset. Without getting political it should be in the emergency plans of any Council to deal with times of crisis and not just drift along in jolly and comfortable way, because that's how things have always been and people keep voting them 'in'.

I will applaud any political 'colour' during this crisis if they demonstrate that they understand the basic life needs of their most vulnerable and disadvantaged citizens. Central Government must deal with the Health, Care and Finance issues without question, other than those (could be others such as as safety I suppose?) they need only to provide the Local Authority's financial support.

P.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The next couple of days are going to be a bit of a mental challenge although I hope that by identifying them and writing them down (here) may mitigate any effect.   For over 30 years my wife and I have been going out to some sort of social establishment on a Friday and Saturday.  In fact, in recent times I have pushed my wife to come out with me because everything suggests that just the act of getting ready can be helpful for someone developing Alzheimers.   So tonight I am staying in.  On the positive side last night I was able to write some Arduino code that lets me use simple magnetic reed switches instead of IR sensors and Hall Effect Sensors.  Also had some good Fish and Chips (Canadian Style) for lunch and at the same time supported my local Pub that is closed but can still supply take out.  And later tonight I am going to have a go a making a large Yorkshire Pudding just like the ones my Mother used to make.  My wife has tried several times over the years without success and I though I would now give it a try.  Will advise results next post assuming of course that I am not counting the hairs on my hand and no I haven't looked for them.  (Who remembers the old 'gotcha' joke?)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Re: eBaying sixvtins of beans for £19.

I do wonder how much stuff is being planted around by those who typically foster discontent, stir-up trouble and arguments, create fake news, meddle in elections etc.*

Everybody is very twitchy right now, so stuff like that goes viral(!) in seconds.

There was an instance on RMWeb yesterday that AY nipped in the bud, and it was only afterwards that I twigged that the troll-like person used the word ‘store’ when any British person would say ‘shop’, and that made me wonder.

Why would anyone do that? Dirt cheap way to weaken potential international rivals: divide them from within.

* I mean the Russians here, rather than our own dear newspapers.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Just missing one dowel to fix the final draw together with, and the store in the garage not supplying one either it means a trip to a diy emporium tomorrow. 

That's most unusual.

Most dowel and glue assembled items normally give you several over.

I've got bags of different sizes after installing a few kitchens over the years (and plenty other assembly bits) Pity your not near or you could have a few.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, polybear said:

That's taking the p1ss.  Their fault, not yours.  So there should be no minimum order charge in such a case.  In any event, people will naturally order a certain amount even if they don't need it yet, in order to avoid the minimum order charge.

This is the sort of thing they need to jump on, very quickly:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEINZ-BAKED-BEANS-in-tomato-sauce-6-x-415g-Tins-Tinned-food-PACK-OF-6-UK-STOCK/392728027606?hash=item5b706a21d6:g:GewAAOSwx9pebo~T

The going rate would be around three quid.....

This would appear to be even more disgusting

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paracetemol-500mg-Tablets-16-round-Tablets/392734037533?hash=item5b70c5d61d:g:ObEAAOSw7kFedLUF

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Re: eBaying sixvtins of beans for £19.

I do wonder how much stuff is being planted around by those who typically foster discontent, stir-up trouble and arguments, create fake news, meddle in elections etc.*

Everybody is very twitchy right now, so stuff like that goes viral(!) in seconds.

There was an instance on RMWeb yesterday that AY nipped in the bud, and it was only afterwards that I twigged that the troll-like person used the word ‘store’ when any British person would say ‘shop’, and that made me wonder.

Why would anyone do that? Dirt cheap way to weaken potential international rivals: divide them from within.

* I mean the Russians here, rather than our own dear newspapers.

Good point, though in this instance the seller has been on Ebay since April 2019.  It'd be good if Ebay immediately blocked such ads and banned the sellers doing this.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Supermarkets may not have these items, but in Worcestershire are there no small shops or Farm Shops or 'direct' gate sales?

There is a farm shop just up the road but they always seemed to be overpriced but needs may. I'm sure there are others as Worcestershire is one of the triangle of bountiful counties (Worcestershire, Gloucestershire & Herefordshire) plenty of soft fruits in the summer and Evesham is the centre of Asparagus production.

If I could get hold of a decent supply of veg I could start making up meals (I'm veggie so no meat)

One of the things I was banking on on the home delivery were tinned toms but they've gone.

I wonder how much effect the crisis in N Italy is having on certain things such as pasta which comes from the north where the wheat grows?

Toms are more in the centre of the country.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Make fruit smoothies and freeze, or just cook the bloody stuff such as apples ffs! Wildfruits such as Raspberries will freeze as they are. Do people not know this sort of thing these days? Fortunately we have loads of Rhubarb at the Allotment and there is also plenty on some of the abandoned and not now used ones. 

Don't get a shotgun Phil. You'll probably do more damage to yourself than any potential prey.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

I think all those being told items are OOS for a delivery 3 weeks away should find an email address and complain. The supermarkets are saying there is no shortage, its panic buying that is emptying the shelves so how can they justify putting stock daily on the shelves to be 'panic bought' and not arange to supply the store with items to fulfil orders to be delivered 3 weeks away ! I understand they may reduce numbers if you over order, but telling you out of stock 3 weeks before delivery really isnt on. It sounds like they need to adjust computer systems to allow items to be pending and then allocate stock when the delivery date aproaches

Rant over lol

An example of crap management who have developed systems where neither the crap management nor the crap systems that they have specified can respond to developing situations. Talk about cutting everything to the bone in the race to the bottom!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, melmerby said:

There is a farm shop just up the road but they always seemed to be overpriced but needs may. I'm sure there are others as Worcestershire is one of the triangle of bountiful counties (Worcestershire, Gloucestershire & Herefordshire) plenty of soft fruits in the summer and Evesham is the centre of Asparagus production.

If I could get hold of a decent supply of veg I could start making up meals (I'm veggie so no meat)

One of the things I was banking on on the home delivery were tinned toms but they've gone.

I wonder how much effect the crisis in N Italy is having on certain things such as pasta which comes from the north where the wheat grows?

Toms are more in the centre of the country.

Much pasta is not made in Italy - even here in Southern France - but later the availability of Durum wheat (which is the ideal one) might impact on the quality.  Look forward to the 2021 pasta snobs who can discern whether the pasta is pure Durum or a mixture.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

This would appear to be even more disgusting

Which, if I am right in my paranoia, is precisely the response it is designed to evoke.

You now hate a bod in Manchester, and are telling us all that there are exploitative b*stards in our midst.

You may be right, but conceive it possible that you are being played.

• Like 1