Exclusive OO Gauge Class 89 produced by Accurascale

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, No Decorum said:

All becomes clear! The delay is caused by the difficulty of getting a model to run on overhead wires. 🤣

Duh - Australian market :D

image.png.37a12048b4cb91e52fc1f2ae2053b74e.png

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

On 16/04/2022 at 10:10, No Decorum said:

Yes they are. I’d say that the model is well advanced and Accurascale, of course, knows that. On the other hand, Rails is not ready to announce it yet for some reason.

Maybe the delay is so that the production slot is confirmed. Look at KMS with the 73/9, obviously the production slot isn’t there. If Rails want to keep it simple then best not to announce it till you know it’s going to arrive. And that’s how AS are preferring  to do things, so maybe a combination of those means it’s stuck at EOI. I think there’s a good chance we will have an Accurascale/Rails 89…

• Agree 2

On 16/04/2022 at 11:11, boxbrownie said:

Oooo just thought, to save me having to fit yet another impossibly Micro LED to the panto how about ready fitted flashing/sparking LEDs fed from the sound decoder?

Please……😘

I have some 3rd rail on my layout & have put some thought into flashes. It is more noticeable with 3rd rail, but the flashes are in the same place, usually at a join, like where the conductor rail joins the ramp.

This being the case, assigning it to a function is probably not the best way to go about it. A magnet & reed switch would be more appropriate.

This is more practical for 3rd rail where you can place the LED on the baseboard, but a lot trickier with OLE.

OLE is a little different. On a cold, dark, damp winter morning I have sat under the pan & it can sometimes light up the trackside for the entire journey.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I have some 3rd rail on my layout & have put some thought into flashes. It is more noticeable with 3rd rail, but the flashes are in the same place, usually at a join, like where the conductor rail joins the ramp.

This being the case, assigning it to a function is probably not the best way to go about it. A magnet & reed switch would be more appropriate.

This is more practical for 3rd rail where you can place the LED on the baseboard, but a lot trickier with OLE.

OLE is a little different. On a cold, dark, damp winter morning I have sat under the pan & it can sometimes light up the trackside for the entire journey.

Indeed, I was quite surprised watching OHLE on an early autumn/winter just how much arcing there was, as you say almost continuously.

I was not going to bother fitting a arc LED to the pan until I saw a few of these videos and then decided “well it’s not that unusual at all” so why not, and as it can be almost anywhere it happens using a function button for on/off seems a perfect answer.

32 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Indeed, I was quite surprised watching OHLE on an early autumn/winter just how much arcing there was, as you say almost continuously.

I was not going to bother fitting a arc LED to the pan until I saw a few of these videos and then decided “well it’s not that unusual at all” so why not, and as it can be almost anywhere it happens using a function button for on/off seems a perfect answer.

With an ESU Lokpilot/sound 5 you can set a random strobe and I believe there are parameters to set the regularity IIRC.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Do you think she’s travelling with the Deltics and a big surprise will be sprung on us?

I think it considerably more likely she'll arrive at the same time as the 31's.

I could of course be wrong and the delay of access to her that was mentioned could have just been for the sound project? 

Cheers,

7 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

In a word, no!

AC not my thing, but I could be tempted by this one. 

Roy

You’re probably right. It would make sense to get the 92s with their working pantographs out into the wild first. Just to make sure that a difficult development has gone well.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

You’re probably right. It would make sense to get the 92s with their working pantographs out into the wild first. Just to make sure that a difficult development has gone well.

And the arcing panto pan……I have to keep getting this in 😄

3 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Quite right. We wouldn’t want them to overlook that. After all, they have Bachmann to beat. No-one else is in the race; the Heljans don’t operate remotely and the Hornbys are (insert rude word of choice). Cunning folks at Accurascale. Remember how they made provision for rotating fans in existing diesel models, just in case?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 24/04/2022 at 10:56, boxbrownie said:

Well actually many years ago, pre A/S announcement I had suggested to another manufacturer at the time of their original announcement random arching for the pan and also 3rd rail shoes.

4 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Well actually many years ago, pre A/S announcement I had suggested to another manufacturer at the time of their original announcement random arching for the pan and also 3rd rail shoes.

Pan arcing is slightly different but even though I use DCC, I felt that using DCC for a 3rd rail / shoe arc was the wrong way to go because they arc at a certain place on the rail: usually where the show makes or breaks contact, or at a join between conductor rail & ramp. I therefore decided it would be better to mount a magnet beneath the bogie & a reed switch & led in the track.

I felt pan arcing was different because it gets worse as the weather gets colder & damper, also because it tends to get caused by dirty contact patches, which are more random than a join in a conductor rail.

Disguising a reed switch & LED in catenary is a little more difficult too. 🤔

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

pan arcing was different because it gets worse as the weather gets colder & damper, also because it tends to get caused by dirty contact patches, which are more random than a join in a conductor rail.

I think that could be done with an LP/LS5, two functions with random flicker on the same output with different settings, set which one you want.

7 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I felt that using DCC for a 3rd rail / shoe arc was the wrong way to go because they arc at a certain place on the rail

I could probably do that with mine, where a function is triggered as the loco enters a block.

Where would you plan for the LED to be? 

I guess it would be one of those little flat square ones, so in theory it could be built in to the pan head? 

I'd imagine someone building an LU based layout may as well just have the rails permanently lit if my experience of the Northern line is anything to go by 😂

Cheers,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2022 at 14:22, Pete the Elaner said:

Pan arcing is slightly different but even though I use DCC, I felt that using DCC for a 3rd rail / shoe arc was the wrong way to go because they arc at a certain place on the rail: usually where the show makes or breaks contact, or at a join between conductor rail & ramp. I therefore decided it would be better to mount a magnet beneath the bogie & a reed switch & led in the track.

I felt pan arcing was different because it gets worse as the weather gets colder & damper, also because it tends to get caused by dirty contact patches, which are more random than a join in a conductor rail.

Disguising a reed switch & LED in catenary is a little more difficult too. 🤔

Third rail arcing also gets worse as the weather changes. I grew up about 1/2 mile from a third-rail line and on cold winter mornings you would see the sky light up as if there was lightning as the early trains would arc their way along the line.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Third rail arcing also gets worse as the weather changes. I grew up about 1/2 mile from a third-rail line and on cold winter mornings you would see the sky light up as if there was lightning as the early trains would arc their way along the line.

Roy

The first train after a frosty or icy night always put on quite a light show! 

I guess those modelling third rail areas almost need both options - train fitted for the continuous arcing caused by ice but also the track fitted option for locations prone to arcing!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2022 at 10:05, Torbay Express said:

Never happened though, so it doesn’t count 🤣

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2022 at 15:36, 60800 said:

Where would you plan for the LED to be? 

I guess it would be one of those little flat square ones, so in theory it could be built in to the pan head? 

I'd imagine someone building an LU based layout may as well just have the rails permanently lit if my experience of the Northern line is anything to go by 😂

Cheers,

Exactly, that is what I am doing at this very moment trying to fit a micro led to the Hornby 87 pan head, the LED is in place and glue dry and now I have to carefully thread the enamelled wire down the pan arms to the body, it is extremely fiddly but effective.

• Like 5