RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

11 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

If you mean Fragonset then yes, it was green at that time but SR green (a very slightly more 'olive' colour) and it had the headcodes and jumpers, not the marker light clusters, as they weren't fitted until Network Rail carried out a full rebuild in 2007.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for all the information guys, hopefully this version gets released at some point fingers crossed

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Revolution Ben said:

The saloon had been sold to VSOE Belmond following privatisation in the mid-1990s and they had a plan to turn it into an observation car for the British Pullman.

And that would have been a shame given the now realised potential it had as an infrastructure vehicle.

Didn't VSOE also start refurbishing a Brighton Belle Driving car as a shunting end coach for moves in/out of stations? IIRC it was having work done in Belgium and then everything seemed to go quiet.

On 16/08/2023 at 00:28, Fordbank said:

And then begins the wait for your Caroline to be despatched. But they're understandably busy just now.

And patience is rewarded!

Having remarked that i was still waiting for Caroline, I feel obliged to add that it has now duly arrived.

And all in good order. 

Thank you Ben and the team - an outstanding model.

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We’ve already sent out several spares and replacements. Please email the support email in the manual (rather than the general email address which is getting a few queries) if you’ve not heard anything back in 7 days (Simon is normally much quicker than that but has been on leave recently). 

Thanks Mike

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2023 at 21:07, G-BOAF said:

And that would have been a shame given the now realised potential it had as an infrastructure vehicle.

Didn't VSOE also start refurbishing a Brighton Belle Driving car as a shunting end coach for moves in/out of stations? IIRC it was having work done in Belgium and then everything seemed to go quiet.

One was being overhauled in Carnforth 30 years ago, then had a fire. It moved to the ELR where a second fire saw the end of it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/08/2023 at 20:18, NTrains said:

Lokpilot Decoders;

For anyone interested, I have all lighting functions available using a Lokpilot 5 Basic (product code 59029) with thanks to @TomScrut for pointing me in the right direction.

f0 - Headlights (directional)

f1 - Interior cabin lights

f2 - Tail lights (directional; requires f0 on)

f5 - Stairs light

f6 - Search light (directional; requires f0 on)

I think that covers it.

ta!

Bob

IMG_2089.jpeg

I can also confirm this decoder works very well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Good info but now sold out at Coastal dcc and is near twice the price of the Lais one from Digitrains which works equally as well.

I don't mind the Lais adapters etc. but I've not had much luck with their decoders. I know others have had a good experience but a few more £ to go in something that cost £160 my preference is a mainstream brand :)

Well, managed to get Caroline chipped today, with help from Greg Marshall of Ebsworth Street/ Gordon's Lane. Shims removed, and a Dapol Imperium 1 fitted. All functions working perfect thankfully! Now the matter of refitting the felled horn on the B end of the coach roof.20230819_1446492.jpg.77ce31d125e76517f3c1fce455e03fd6.jpg

Paired it up with 03179 for some testing. 

Cheers,

Nathan...

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Still waiting for my blue/grey version as I had to ask Revolution to delay shipping whilst I was away on holiday. 

Has anybody worked out what radius it can cope with if you remove the shims please? The tighest on the layout it is planned for is Peco large radius bullhead points, so I am assuming a I will be ok. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Still waiting for my blue/grey version as I had to ask Revolution to delay shipping whilst I was away on holiday. 

Has anybody worked out what radius it can cope with if you remove the shims please? The tighest on the layout it is planned for is Peco large radius bullhead points, so I am assuming a I will be ok. 

Roy

It goes through my small radius code 75 Y point and double-slips perfectly fine without the shims.... I think the double-slips are nominally 2ft radius, so obviously quite a bit wider than R2 set-track....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another Brunswick Green version delivered safely to Australia. 

The only issue was a loose short horn from one of the ends and one long horn completely missing, nowhere to be found in the sleeve/wrapper.

A quick email to Simon in regards to obtaining a spare part resulted in an almost instantaneous reply requesting a couple of details being confirmed.

Great customer service

Well done to the entire team for bringing this wonderful model to the market. Now, how do I talk myself out of ordering the IHA when it becomes available….? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 15/08/2023 at 11:10, Denny said:

Well, after a good sleep and fresh eyes. I've revisited things.  Turns out I'm denser than I thought - you only need to tape over the F & R contact pads on the CB or you render all the lights inoperable.  

Has anyone traced the circuit board? I might give it a go and see how easy it is to "tweak" the circuit to operate the ends separately.... I'm using a Loksound FX which has a multitude of extra functions so worst case I can tape the contacts and "wire" one end directly to other functions. I'll let people know how I get on....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Bad form quoting myself, but hey ho...

My Caroline arrived today and she looks lovely. No damage to the outer box, inner box or contents - all perfect.

Will have to fit a decoder and have a play running session.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LMSfan72 said:

Has anyone traced the circuit board? I might give it a go and see how easy it is to "tweak" the circuit to operate the ends separately.... I'm using a Loksound FX which has a multitude of extra functions so worst case I can tape the contacts and "wire" one end directly to other functions. I'll let people know how I get on....

Further to my previous post referencing rear red light when Caroline is being pulled. I have changed my setting using F5 (cv 36=64) to cv36=2 which has moved the red light effectively to F0 cv34. The lights now operate correctly just using just the direction control. 
My reason for this was trying to stop loco sound functions and Caroline light function conflicting. Rear lights F5 on Caroline and loco F5 was a no load situation on the loco which means you have to manually notch up to increase the engine sounds. With the latest settings I’ve set up an Advanced Consist and it works without any issues. I also tried using the same address for both loco and Caroline and that also works well. The only issue is that step lights F3 also gives a short horn blast and tunnel lights F4 gives a long horn blast, not a real concern for me but maybe for some of you.

My next challenge is to fit DCC Concepts EOT red lights on the blue/grey and NSE versions, I really need to work out the end contacts on the circuit board. I’ve tried an AVO but didn’t get consistent readings on either dc or dcc. Has anyone worked out what the connections U+   U1+    F    R  and  Q5 actually relate to please? Great fun!

1 hour ago, Martin_R said:

Further to my previous post referencing rear red light when Caroline is being pulled. I have changed my setting using F5 (cv 36=64) to cv36=2 which has moved the red light effectively to F0 cv34. The lights now operate correctly just using just the direction control. 
My reason for this was trying to stop loco sound functions and Caroline light function conflicting. Rear lights F5 on Caroline and loco F5 was a no load situation on the loco which means you have to manually notch up to increase the engine sounds. With the latest settings I’ve set up an Advanced Consist and it works without any issues. I also tried using the same address for both loco and Caroline and that also works well. The only issue is that step lights F3 also gives a short horn blast and tunnel lights F4 gives a long horn blast, not a real concern for me but maybe for some of you.

My next challenge is to fit DCC Concepts EOT red lights on the blue/grey and NSE versions, I really need to work out the end contacts on the circuit board. I’ve tried an AVO but didn’t get consistent readings on either dc or dcc. Has anyone worked out what the connections U+   U1+    F    R  and  Q5 actually relate to please? Great fun!

Is this without circuit board mods/tape?

I didn't bother to see if I could separate out the 4 lights (front red/white rear red/white) using the decoder as I assumed they were hard wired to work for DC.

21 minutes ago, Marcus-Jay said:

Is this without circuit board mods/tape?

I didn't bother to see if I could separate out the 4 lights (front red/white rear red/white) using the decoder as I assumed they were hard wired to work for DC.

My only physical mod is tape over the loco end contacts on the circuit board. On dcc the direction switch on a controller just changes the head/tail lights over at both ends, sadly they have no independent control that I can find.