RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

On 27/08/2023 at 09:17, LMSfan72 said:

I think the driver and second man from Accurascale for the 92 will fit nicely. I plan on trying them tomorrow with some others that I just 3D printed.

Just make sure the figures fit inside the seats  at the ends - especially the narrower drivers seat - otherwise they will prevent the body going back on.

Great looking models very impressive, almost tempted to swap my Blue and Grey for the Green as I particularly like the additional painting of the springs, axle box and door footplates. Shame this is only available on the green coach. Otherwise excellent ... well done chaps.

Best,

Chris

My Viridian version just arrived Down Under from Rainbow Railways. A very tidy model, glad I purchased. Strangely the smart outer card box is perfect, but the inner plastic tray is broken, two horns loose in the wrapper and the fitted coupling is snapped clean off.  Doesn't really feel that the model could rattle around within tray and the outer box, so maybe a problem at the factory?

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, DCCconcepts said:

We don't do seperate crockery!

You may be confusing this with the complete table and lamp....

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/working-table-lamps-lamps-and-settings-pullman/

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

Thanks for confirming.

There is an opportunity for those with 3D printers to make such things.  They could be used in other Director’s Saloons, buffet coaches and Pullman coaches.  Perhaps also good for miniature dolls houses.

Morning everyone, I received my Viridian green Caroline a few weeks ago now & a very lovely model it is too. Please to anyone who may have fitted the parts in the detail pack, where & how do I attach the square spotlights to the step lights? As delivered the step light is just a round LED that sticks out from the underside, there are square spotlight covers in the detail pack but I can't see anywhere to glue them or place them correctly. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it. Kind regards.

My Caroline has not been sent yet, should I start to panic? Edit, no need to panic, their on their way as of 6 sept,

I also have 4 nukes on order that haven't been sent.

I asked if these orders could be combined & both orders have a note "Combine with -07-- if possible".

I have sent emails to Revolution, which have been unanswered.

John

Edited by John ks

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

With the 2023 end of Mark 1 operation, I reckon "Caroline" is the oldest piece of rolling stock in regular service on the National Network - 1958 - 65 years and counting ??

Isn’t Test Coach Mentor still operating? That was 1955 build. 

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Southernman46 said:

With the 2023 end of Mark 1 operation, I reckon "Caroline" is the oldest piece of rolling stock in regular service on the National Network - 1958 - 65 years and counting ??

Aren't there a couple of 1920s built Pullmans still about on the network in the Belmond set? 

And it won't be too long before the Brighton Belle set returns to use either.

Freight - I think that belongs to YSA Salmons and variants YKA/YMA etc. some dating from 1954 or so.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Aren't there a couple of 1920s built Pullmans still about on the network in the Belmond set? 

And it won't be too long before the Brighton Belle set returns to use either.

Freight - I think that belongs to YSA Salmons and variants YKA/YMA etc. some dating from 1954 or so.

Agreed, Rather more than a couple in the Belmond set, unfortunately based in Stewarts Lane so I don't see them often in York https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/pullman  Some other conserved coaches used regularly in specials are from the mid 1950s, such as Florence from 1955 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/conservedpreservedcoach/e9becace2

The ex Salmons have been rebogied but the frames are old. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/salmonrebogied  As are the frames of the numerous BDA (and similar) https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bdawheel and Lobsters https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mxalobster 

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Finally got a decoder in my Caroline.... Imperium 1.... Will need to get it on decoder pro to enable the search light options, but also agree with @SRman that I will need to find the setting to dim the interior lights a little.....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Finally got a decoder in my Caroline.... Imperium 1.... Will need to get it on decoder pro to enable the search light options, but also agree with @SRman that I will need to find the setting to dim the interior lights a little.....

Assuming the settings for the Imperium 1 are the same as the LAIS decoders, I looked up the LAIS manual and came up with CV51 = 44 to have the interior lights on constantly dim (green wire equivalent). It works but be warned it introduces a bit of a flicker, rather like a fluorescent light struggling slightly.

Here's the other version in blue and grey to show the before and after effect.

20230903_204417.jpg.0c1a5728ddcb30ef7124fa2aca2ecca6.jpg

20230903_204519.jpg.fa67c3b9a8d90a518c1034528d41345f.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Setting the fucntion CVs (49 to 55) to 44 turns on the dimming function.

The value of that dimming is set in CV64, the default is 6 which certainly flickers but 30 IME  on another model seemed appropriate

Thanks, that was useful. I found 30 a little brighter than I wanted, and settled on 16, but it is a matter of personal taste and also compromise.

• Like 2

I finally got parts together to have a go at the circuit to let me completely turn off the directional lights at either end.

I’ve got a Laisdcc logic level amplifier pcb to use to turn one of the logic level outputs on the chip (not connected to the main Caroline PCB circuit) to a full voltage output. Then I put this transistor circuit together to let me switch the positive common voltage on or off….

IMG_1181.jpeg.4f689759c68c70cf5289a49f726d693e.jpeg

I will post again if it works!

If clever stuff like dimming the CVs leads to light flicker, how about a strip of masking tape or a dab of paint on the LED to dim them down? Also has the benefit of being able to adjust the colour temperature should you desire.

Jo

• Like 2

Something to note from my playing around, I tried the 560 ohm resistor trick across the motor outputs, but the LAIS and Imperium decoders were still unreadable on either of the Power Cab or the Power Pro systems. The Zimo decoder I tried was readable on the Power Cab even without the resistor, but not on the Power Pro (with or without resistor).

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, SRman said:

Something to note from my playing around, I tried the 560 ohm resistor trick across the motor outputs, but the LAIS and Imperium decoders were still unreadable on either of the Power Cab or the Power Pro systems. The Zimo decoder I tried was readable on the Power Cab even without the resistor, but not on the Power Pro (with or without resistor).

Did you short out the missing L1 and L2 components as the motor connections are otherwise isolated from the decoder?

• Agree 1

On 22/08/2023 at 17:27, LMSfan72 said:

Forgive the hand-drawn untidy efforts, but here's how the boards work. Intriguingly the SMD resistors marked 810 all seemed to measure 1K on my multimeter!

IMG_1100.jpeg.221dac614b87f7e5ae6376c515bf6407.jpeg

I didn’t expressly say it because I was focused on the main marker and tail lights…..

The search lights are controlled in a similar way to the red lights. 

So,

- the white markers have a permanent positive connection to V+

- the reds have a switchable positive connection by AUX2 providing voltage to V1+

- the search lights have a switchable positive connection by AUX4 providing voltage to Q5

- all directions are controlled by the F0f and F0r outputs on the negative side of the lighting circuits

So, this means that my mod that disables markers and tails at End2 does not disable the search lights.

The only way to do this is to provide another function to switch one of the Q5 pads. My development to make End1 also switchable would therefore need to be duplicated to do that too…..……I thought I’d done it today but I seem to be struggling with getting AUX10 to work at all; wondering if I broke the decoder function…..another go tomorrow!

Edited by LMSfan72

4 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Did you short out the missing L1 and L2 components as the motor connections are otherwise isolated from the decoder?

No, I soldered the resistor directly to the bases of the pins for the motor connections. I kept the wires to the resistor long, and put heat shrink tubing on the bare wires so the decoder sits over the wires but cannot short out on them. The resistor was bent down slightly to hang in empty space, allowing for any heat dissipation to occur without touching any of the coach interior mouldings.

Success. I now have fully independent DCC switching of all directional lights. I used a Loksound 5 FX with AUX9 and 10 logic level outputs connected directly to the decoder pads so that I didn't need to mod the Caroline PCB. I used a LaisDCC amplifier circuit to bring these up to full power outputs and then I used the same circuit that switches Q2 - as in my traced diagrams in the above posts - to switch a positive voltage. By using Kapton tape to blank off the old contact pads and copper tape across the top to create new ones - and solder wires to from the "new" switched voltage outputs - it is fully reversible so no PCB mods at all. The small circuits/PCBs are "bundled" in with the decoder and speaker in the kitchen area which has a blind down on my Network Rail version so nothing can be seen.

I remembered to make AUX10 an output rather than a sensor input and then remapped the functions so it's not too many buttons!

• Like 1