More model ideas

• RMweb Premium

So there's the class 31 that hauls the Mk1 subs and Mk2b TP coaches

The WR/NSE Mk2Bs need a 47/50/52 - so I guess an AS class 50 is about to be announced?

The class 37 has a variety of wagons to haul

The Deltic has nothing to haul, maybe some decent late Mk2def coaches from AS?

The 92 has a rake of coaches to pull, maybe a few wagons?

GW7819 has a small growing range of AS wagons

So many of their wagons scream AS class 60!

So what should we expect? Class 50 & 60 plus some Mk 2ef coaches?

An EMU would be good too, Electrostar or such like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Personally, I think the following are likely in the future or would be popular:

-Class 08 with lights/stay-alive. Plenty of scope for these, would be a clear improvement on current offerings and the tooling can recoup costs due to the many livery variants that have existed.

-Class 50. One of the classics, a very popular locomotive that has survived into the privatisation era. The Hornby model is starting to show its age but still commands high prices which shows the demand exists.

-Class 60, similar to above, the Hornby model is ready for an update now

-Class 66 Okay, so yes a number of manufacturers already do these, but they still aren't readily available or have issues, ie the Hornby one is very basic, the Hattons ones are often flawed and the Bachmann ones too are not without their issues and can be expensive. The 66 will be with us for a long time still so the tooling will continue to pay for itself, and the many livery variations will keep growing. Made with good quality control and done cheaper than Bachmann's (like with the 37), Accurascale could do well with these. Many layouts can find a place for a 66 due to their ubiquity.

- Class 73/9 in Caledonian Sleeper. Dapol seem to be dragging their feet on this one, but an Accurascale model would likely to be superior anyway. Goes with the Mk5's and considering it was the Highland versions of these that sold out quickest, that to me implies decent demand. Also running in multiple may help shift volume. I'd personally like a non-motorised version too to cater for anyone wanting to double head.

Units

- Class 185. Commonly asked for, would go alongside the existing TP MK5's, common across the North of England and into Scotland.

- Some of the new CAF stuff like 195's

- Electrostars

- Eurostar 373's, including GNER North of London sets and the new livery version

- Class 442

-  Class 139 Parry People Mover, for the novelty although would be ideal for the small layout.

- Class 325, would probably do okay since they travel both the ECML and WCML over quite a few time periods (as well as the West Highland Line of course). Could do a motorised version and a non motorised version for dragging with loco's such as class 90 (or 66 on the WHL).

- Voyager/Meridians. A bit of a gap in the market here, existing model needs updating and can go for high prices. Decent geographical coverage, 4 car units can fit on many layouts, a number of livery versions to go at including the seemingly popular Virgin and EMT liveries. 

- Classes 320/321/322. Again, many liveries to go at and have served quite a good geographic spread of the network.

Steam

- 8F- common and the existing model is ageing. 

- 4F as above.

Edited by Iskra
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4

On 19/11/2022 at 17:52, Iskra said:

Class 185. Commonly asked for, would go alongside the existing TP MK5's, common across the North of England and into Scotland.

- Some of the new CAF stuff like 195's

Would love a 185, would also want a 195.

Voyager/Meridians

220 or 221 in XC would be ideal for me. Also as you say a bit to go at livery wise that Bachmann haven't done on Voyagers (late Virgin and Avanti), and the 222 from square one.

As I have said before, as it is looking now, the main way for manufacturers to get into my wallet is with units as the loco/coach/wagon aspect of my desires has almost dried up.

Class 325

I think this would sell quite well, but probably not for me.

Class 66

The crux of this is whether Hattons sort their issues out and do another run, and what price it would be IMO.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Oh and are we taking guesses as to what's being announced tomorrow?

I expect a steam loco or a class 50. I'll be thrilled if it's an 88 or 99 but I aren't holding much hope for either.

i think if it is a diesel (big possibility its something  steam related) id have my money on a 50 as well! 

14 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Oh and are we taking guesses as to what's being announced tomorrow?

I expect a steam loco or a class 50. I'll be thrilled if it's an 88 or 99 but I aren't holding much hope for either.

Agree hoping for an 88 as think this would be epic given the R&D gone into the 92’s. Have to wait and see at what 12pm reveal today brings. 

• Agree 1

I have a question. With the Class 50 just announced (and I suspect the Class 40 coming very soon), every locomotive class announced by Accurascale are either preserved or still in service. So is AS capable of producing extinct locomotive classes?

Having the real thing means you can scan it, but I think we need to see more from AS. A lot of gaps in railway models are in those extinct classes, especially with the LNER.

But if you really want (or need) something to scan, the list of preserved steam locomotives without a model form is still very long. I look forward to your next announcement.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, toby_tl10 said:

I have a question. With the Class 50 just announced (and I suspect the Class 40 coming very soon), every locomotive class announced by Accurascale are either preserved or still in service. So is AS capable of producing extinct locomotive classes?

Having the real thing means you can scan it, but I think we need to see more from AS. A lot of gaps in railway models are in those extinct classes, especially with the LNER.

But if you really want (or need) something to scan, the list of preserved steam locomotives without a model form is still very long. I look forward to your next announcement.

While scans (full or partial) are helpful, they are but a small part of the model makers arsenal when creating a project. Most of the work is in drawings and measurements and photography. We've several things underway in the back room for which the real ones are long departed this world. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Just out of interest, now you have broken cover with the least surprising surprise announcement of the 50, are you planning any more surprises at Warley for those of us who also have an interest in orange, and blue with wasp stripe broader gauge trains?  The Rotems are just a bit too modern for me (although very tempting).

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, aeroplane said:

Maybe this has already been announced and I missed it, but you can download the Autumn Accurascale catalogue as a pdf if you click on the news section of the drop-down section of their website!

Well spotted, we'll be keeping catalogue updated with the latest version

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully pushing at an unfastened door even if it's not actually ajar.

Given that both sorts of SR Banana vans have been announced, an obvious candidate for boxing in sets of three would be some "proper" and "properly varied" 6-wheel Milk Tankers.

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If classes of small numbers that were associated with specific branch lines for most of their lives (Beattie Well Tank, Adams Radial), can be marketed successfully as RTR models, surely RTR companies, especially those at the other end of the spectrum from train set products, might make a successful go of the GW 3150 large prairie, 44xx small prairie, and some of the more numerous South Wales locos from the grouping constituents such as the TVR A and 04 classes and the Rhymney P and R classes, all of which survived in appreciable numbers well into BR days in rebuilt form, and unrebuilt as well in the case of the R.  

The R could be tooled as the very similar Stephenson 0-6-2T locos from the Brecon & Merthyr or the Neath & Brecon Railways.  Looking further afield nobody liked the LMS Austin 7s, Fowler Flatiron 0-6-4Ts, or the Fowler & Stanier 2-6-2Ts much in service, but they were built in reasonable quantities, widely geographically spread, and lasted, again, well into BR days.  One might have thought there was a case to be made for the B16 4-6-0s, GNR J6, and the aforementioned  Southern Q and U as well, not to mention the L or L1.  

TTBOMK nobody has ever produced RTR passenger or NPCCS rolling stock from the LNW, Midland, GNR, GCR, NBR, GER, or NER, and these were big important companies whose stock lasted into the 50s and carried BR liveries, and which have examples of RTR locos available; the Caley is not exactly well represented either by the Triang coaches on B1 bogies that accompanied 123.  I am not including generics in various liveries like the Graham Farish bogies, Triang Clerestories in Midland or LNER liveries, or the more recent 4- and 6-wheel generics from Hornby and Hattons.  The Hornby 4-wheeled ‘S&DJR’ short wheelbase coaches in their various liveries do not in my view merit consideration as serious models of anything

These are only suggestions, not wishlisting or requests, as I have no need for any of them (except that I could justify a 44xx at a push).  What I’d really (ok, now I’m wishlisting) like existed in greater numbers than Well Tanks or Radials in the 50s, just, the 5-strong class of Collett 31xx 1938 large prairies, 3150 rebuilds with 5’3” drivers and higher boiler pressure, but I realise I am probably the only person in the country who seriously wants such a thing (not that people wouldn’t buy one if it was offered to them). 

Wouldn’t mind some Diagram N or A10 auto trailers either, or a twinset of TVR trailers, GW diagram A20.  The N has proved a success in 7mm, and any panelled trailer in 4mm would sell like hot cakes I reckon!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

If classes of small numbers that were associated with specific branch lines for most of their lives...

...Wouldn’t mind some Diagram N or A10 auto trailers either...

The N has proved a success in 7mm, and any panelled trailer in 4mm would sell like hot cakes I reckon!

There were only actually 5 or 6 N trailers, but that certainly hasnt stopped them selling in 7mm.

Would they be as guaranteed in 4mm though, with r-t-r alternatives and BR era a lot more popular these days? An upgrade of the old Airfix diagram is probably a safer investment.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

There were only actually 5 or 6 N trailers, but that certainly hasnt stopped them selling in 7mm.

Would they be as guaranteed in 4mm though, with r-t-r alternatives and BR era a lot more popular these days? An upgrade of the old Airfix diagram is probably a safer investment.

Given that's in Hornby's hands nowadays and noting how many of their other ex-Airfix models they have upgraded in the considerable time they have owned them (zero, zilch, nada); I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for such a thing.

A completely new one from somebody taking things more seriously would be very welcome, though.

John

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

If classes of small numbers that were associated with specific branch lines for most of their lives (Beattie Well Tank, Adams Radial), can be marketed successfully as RTR models, surely RTR companies, especially those at the other end of the spectrum from train set products, might make a successful go of the GW 3150 large prairie, 44xx small prairie, and some of the more numerous South Wales locos from the grouping constituents such as the TVR A and 04 classes and the Rhymney P and R classes, all of which survived in appreciable numbers well into BR days in rebuilt form, and unrebuilt as well in the case of the R.  

The R could be tooled as the very similar Stephenson 0-6-2T locos from the Brecon & Merthyr or the Neath & Brecon Railways.  Looking further afield nobody liked the LMS Austin 7s, Fowler Flatiron 0-6-4Ts, or the Fowler & Stanier 2-6-2Ts much in service, but they were built in reasonable quantities, widely geographically spread, and lasted, again, well into BR days.  One might have thought there was a case to be made for the B16 4-6-0s, GNR J6, and the aforementioned  Southern Q and U as well, not to mention the L or L1.  

TTBOMK nobody has ever produced RTR passenger or NPCCS rolling stock from the LNW, Midland, GNR, GCR, NBR, GER, or NER, and these were big important companies whose stock lasted into the 50s and carried BR liveries, and which have examples of RTR locos available; the Caley is not exactly well represented either by the Triang coaches on B1 bogies that accompanied 123.  I am not including generics in various liveries like the Graham Farish bogies, Triang Clerestories in Midland or LNER liveries, or the more recent 4- and 6-wheel generics from Hornby and Hattons.  The Hornby 4-wheeled ‘S&DJR’ short wheelbase coaches in their various liveries do not in my view merit consideration as serious models of anything

These are only suggestions, not wishlisting or requests, as I have no need for any of them (except that I could justify a 44xx at a push).  What I’d really (ok, now I’m wishlisting) like existed in greater numbers than Well Tanks or Radials in the 50s, just, the 5-strong class of Collett 31xx 1938 large prairies, 3150 rebuilds with 5’3” drivers and higher boiler pressure, but I realise I am probably the only person in the country who seriously wants such a thing (not that people wouldn’t buy one if it was offered to them). 

Wouldn’t mind some Diagram N or A10 auto trailers either, or a twinset of TVR trailers, GW diagram A20.  The N has proved a success in 7mm, and any panelled trailer in 4mm would sell like hot cakes I reckon!

You will have become a Rapido fan this morning, then. 🙂 All your suggestions highlight just how many choices there are for steam era models yet we have diesel duplications. I am not anti-diesel, quite the reverse, but I would much rather see something which hasn’t been produced before and most diesels have been.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

You will have become a Rapido fan this morning, then. 🙂 All your suggestions highlight just how many choices there are for steam era models yet we have diesel duplications. I am not anti-diesel, quite the reverse, but I would much rather see something which hasn’t been produced before and most diesels have been.

Yes indeedy; I’ll deffo be having a 44xx from them and abandoning my bodgerigar K’s bodyshell on a reversed Baccy chassis attempt, and it’ll br hard to resist the B set; although E140s never appeared at Tondu, they will provide a goid basis for other 60’ Colletts that did and I can probably use them to improve on my current 60’ Airfix-based C63 and brake 3rd.  And the LMS 5-planker was the most common type of the most common type of general merchandise wagon in 1948 and probably most of the next decade.  

Which leads me to hope for a Collett 1938 31xx from AS, or at least a 3150 to rebuild it from.